Price Drop

swooldri

A $186 price drop after final payment. What will Princess do for me? Booked over 1 year in advance; what ever happened to "book early for the best prices"?????????????

Well, that depends. If the price drop is in the form of a flash promotion, since it is past final payment date, the chances are they probably won't do anything for you. It doesn't hurt to check though.

They often run these specials if a ship hasn't sold out, but the flash sales are usually for new bookings only, which would mean you wouldn't qualify for the price decrease.

Let us know if you get anywhere with them, please!

I've never gotten any reductions once I make final payment, but you may be successful, never hurts to ask just don't get your hopes up to high.

Please let us know if you are sucessful.

We have as a result of the TA really going to bat for us but generally not 100% and for the most part in the form of OBC's.

You will not see anything from any of Carnival's companys, once final payment is made no price adjustments; however Celebrity and RCCL will honor lower prices if you tell you TA, I have had that happen twice. I tried on a Princess Hawaii cruise when the price dropped big time a week after final payment but no luck.

I am sailing in May and my final payment was made. The price went down and I called my TA. Princess upgraded me and refunded the difference. I asked for an OBC but Princess said they had to refund my cc. I would call your TA if you used one to book. Have a great trip....

On our last cruise, after we made our final payment, the price dropped. We called Princess and they did drop the price and refund 10% of the difference. I was pretty impressed. We did book directly through Princess which may have helped. It never hurts to ask. Worse they can say is NO

Princess will not budge. They say this is a "flash promotion" for new bookings only. After this "flash" is over and the price is still lower that I paid, we will see what their excuse is then. So much for "book early for the best prices". This is one of the reasons why I am leaning toward RCI for my future cruises.

RC is much better at refunding price reductions after final payment, but then they offer price reductions much less frequently than Princess does. RC has worked very hard at maintaining their cruise prices, and has been known to sail a ship less than 100% full to do so. Princess has a different approach, and will continually discount so that every ship sails full (and is frequently overbooked). I would tend to think that RC's way is better in the long run, but then I have to remember that it was a last minute Princess deal, $549 for a 10 night cruise, that first got us to try Princess a few years ago. Now we're Elite. From that perspective, what Princess is doing makes sense.

A $186 price drop after final payment. What will Princess do for me? Booked over 1 year in advance; what ever happened to "book early for the best prices"?????????????

Sometimes you win sometimes you loose. Would you be willing to ante up if there was a price increase. :confused: ;)

Look at it this way. You got the best airfare price. Think of what you would be paying to fly to Europe last minute. I am sure those "last minute bookers" are paying way more than the $178 saving you are looking for.

Plus... you probably got to cherry pick your cabin and they get the left overs. ;)

Enjoy your cruise.... We had a great time on our British Isle cruise.

Princess will not budge. They say this is a "flash promotion" for new bookings only. After this "flash" is over and the price is still lower that I paid, we will see what their excuse is then. So much for "book early for the best prices". This is one of the reasons why I am leaning toward RCI for my future cruises.

Well the Princess "flash promotion" is over and the price has dropped even more. My cruise is now $357.24 less than I paid. What will they tell us now?

Final payment was made only 2 weeks ago.

Well the Princess "flash promotion" is over and the price has dropped even more. My cruise is now $357.24 less than I paid. What will they tell us now?

We will be waiting to hear what they tell you. Good Luck!

I do hope that when you booked you got the cabin you wanted and that you were happy with the price at that time.

This happens all the time with Princess. Best of luck, but my guess, they won't do anything to refund the difference. Please check back and let us know if we are correct on this one, as my guess is, we will be. Experience from many past cruises on Princess usually gives the correct answer. Not just from me, but from all who have advised here on this thread. ;)

Well the price keeps dropping and Princess does not seem to care about the people that "booked early for the best price". The price is now $528.84 lower than my cost. So far, Princess just says "too bad". It appears the lesson here is to wait until after the final payment is do. Then the prices will drop. Back to RCI in the furure if this is the way that Princess will treat repeat cruisers.

You will not see anything from any of Carnival's companys, once final payment is made no price adjustments; however Celebrity and RCCL will honor lower prices if you tell you TA, I have had that happen twice. I tried on a Princess Hawaii cruise when the price dropped big time a week after final payment but no luck.

That was not my experience on Carnival in September. We were given OBC.

Was your experience more recent?

Marie

I have cruised on Carnival 9 times and whenever there was a price drop AFTER final payment was made they would upgrade you or give you an onboard credit.

A couple cruises ago we got upgraded plus got a $300+ OBC.

Bill

Well the price keeps dropping and Princess does not seem to care about the people that "booked early for the best price". The price is now $528.84 lower than my cost. So far, Princess just says "too bad". It appears the lesson here is to wait until after the final payment is do. Then the prices will drop. Back to RCI in the furure if this is the way that Princess will treat repeat cruisers.

I mean no disrespect, but if this is getting you so upset why do you keep checking the prices for further price drops? I am on this sailing as well and I don't bother to check prices after final payment since I know I can't get the difference back anyway. I just figure that I was fine with the price when I booked and I got the cabin I wanted so it was worth it to me. Also, I booked my airfare ASAP and that has only gone up since I booked, so it is a wash to me. I can't help but feel that if you go on the cruise with a chip on your shoulder about the price drop and threatening to return to RCI that you are setting yourself up to be unhappy with everything about the cruise. Go with an open mind and you should have a good cruise.

I mean no disrespect, but if this is getting you so upset why do you keep checking the prices for further price drops? ....
I feel the same way...I don't want to know about further price drops after I have made my final payment (and I'm sure there will be one, as there are still open cabins on our sailing).

Well the price keeps dropping and Princess does not seem to care about the people that "booked early for the best price". ..Back to RCI in the furure if this is the way that Princess will treat repeat cruisers.

Your statement is not always true if you mean that booking early doesn't yield the best prices.

We booked early for our Nov. 2008 cruise and the price has gone up $2,790 ($1,395 each person).

We booked early for our Apr. 2009 cruise and the price has gone up $2,140 ($1,070 each person)

On top of that both cruises for our cabin category have been wait listed for quite some time.

It might be possible that you did not book your cruise as early as it was possible to book it. Princess opens their bookings over 1 1/2 years from sailing date on many cruises and costs keep going up for everything and so do cruise prices. You may have booked during this cruise price increase.

Price drops only occur when the ship isn't selling well which must be the case in regards to your cruise. They have to fill so many staterooms in order to not sail at a loss and this is their only objective to lower prices. Princess ships rarely sail with vacant staterooms as they do fill them by dropping prices.

Unless you can accept a decrease in price after booking it is always best not to check the prices. It is also advisable to never ask others on a cruise what they paid because there will always be someone who paid less than you did.

Only book a cruise at a price you are happy with not expecting to have that price decreased. If you are happy with the price gladly accept a decrease should it occur but never feel that you have been discriminated upon should there be a price drop that you aren't able to get.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the price drop continues with the price now $721.08 cheeper than I paid. I understand that Princess wants the ship to sail full and thay are a business in it for the profit. But they will not offer me any kind of compensation. Couldn't they throw me a bone of say just a $50 OBC or an upgrade? (which costs them $0) This bad PR, as I will probably not book with them again. And we do cruise quite often. They don't care about past passengers.

One reason why I stop checking pricing after final payment is made. All it does is tick me off when I see all those great specials they run trying to fill all the berths. Not looking, helps to keep me from getting angry about it as the price I paid and any discounts before final payment is the price I agreed upon when I booked.

Toto: we think alike. Once I have made final payment I know longer look either and I am a past passenger too. Same thing with airline tickets. Once I have paid for them I no longer look at the price anymore. Just makes you sick.

Marilyn

Well the price drop continues with the price now $721.08 cheeper than I paid. I understand that Princess wants the ship to sail full and thay are a business in it for the profit. But they will not offer me any kind of compensation. Couldn't they throw me a bone of say just a $50 OBC or an upgrade? (which costs them $0) This bad PR, as I will probably not book with them again. And we do cruise quite often. They don't care about past passengers.

Once again, I mean no disrespect, but you remind me of my old Cairn terrier when she had a possum in her teeth... you absolutely will not let this go. As I said before, I am on this same cruise and I haven't even bothered to check prices since final payment. It does seem like there is a lot of availability left so of course they are trying to fill the ship. You got the cabin you wanted at a price that was reasonable to you at the time you booked, so just be happy with that. If the price had increased I doubt you would be happy if Princess asked you for the increase, so why do you expect them to refund the price drop?

Most Princess sailings sell out well ahead of time. I will be on the Grand again in August for the Iceland and Norway sailing and that has been waitlist only for months. Booking early not only got me pricing that was reasonable to me it also got me the cabin I wanted and I am not left to worry about whether I will make it to the top of the waitlist or not.

With your statements about not booking with Princess again and how much you like RCI you are setting yourself for not enjoying this cruise. If that's the case, think of how much money you have wasted. My advice is to get over it and go with an open mind and you may find that you enjoy it and find it to be a good value, even at the higher price you paid.

Archived