Other types of denim in dining room?

btobey

Okay, I don't want to get into a big dress code thing here, but I do have a question. I know that HAL doesn't "forbid" jeans in the dining room on smart casual nights, but personally, I would never wear them. However, I am thinking about what I am going to wear on boarding day for our upcoming cruise later this month; I would like to wear the same clothes I board in to the dining room that night, which is what I've done on prior cruises. I have a nice denim skirt that I sometimes wear to work on casual days; it's not very "jeans-y" looking in that it's thinner, lighter, and doesn't have any pockets. I know that it would be okay for me to wear this, but is it likely to fit in with the other passengers (2-week Panama Canal cruise on Amsterdam)? For some of them, it won't be Day 1 of their cruise since they will have been continuing on from the ATW or from NYC. Thanks!

Do you think on the first night anyone would be offended if nice jeans were worn? We have a late flight and early seating. I know on 2 Alaska criises I saw jeans in the dining room but this will be a Mexican cruise.

Do you think on the first night anyone would be offended if nice jeans were worn? We have a late flight and early seating. I know on 2 Alaska criises I saw jeans in the dining room but this will be a Mexican cruise.

I just got off the Oosterdam on Saturday and I saw a lot more casual than nice jeans on some nights. Loved our tablemates but the wife came to dinner in basically a track suit one night (white zip up jacket & pants with a camisole/t-shirt underneath). I refrained from commenting. There were men I saw walking in to the dining room (and this wasn't on boarding day) that were in shorts and a collared short sleeve shirt. I never saw anyone being turned away. I personally dressed up every night for dinner but that was my choice to do so. I never felt overdressed but I definitely was more "dressed" than most of the other diners.

Thanks for your note. I too usually dress up each night so have decided to stick a pair of black slacks and a matching top in my carryon in case our luggage is late!

BTOBY -- Several years ago I saw a man turned away dressed in VERY NICE golf shorts from the evening dinner. Some "farmer style" blue jeans were allowed in and really looked worse but they don't seem to be enforcing that restriction on most ships anymore. The anytime dining seems to be allowing more leeway in dress.

Thanks for the replies all! I actually just bought a new skirt off ebay, so if it fits well, that might be my Day 1 attire instead. I would wear the jean skirt if needed, I'm just not crazy about how it fits.

Archived