Weather in Vancouver/Alaska during Sept'08

cruisemachi

Need some help/info/advice.

I do understand weather is unpredictable mostly but can anyone tell me how is the average weather like in September 08. I am planning to go on Carnival Spirit (inside passage) round trip from Vancouver leaving on Sept 10, 08. Would it be very cold in the cruise? What should I expect? I will be travelling with 2 small ones, a 5 yr old and a 2.5 yr old. Is that a good time to see Alaska (this will be my once in a life time trip) with the little ones? No, we dont have the option of leaving the littles ones and we would not want to.

I am on a budget, and I cannot afford the Balcony rates in July/Aug.

Also, we are planning 2-3 days of pre-cruise sightseeing in Vancouver. We should be staying in Downtown (priceline/hotwire). Would a rental car be useful or be a hindrance or we would not need a car at all?

Please help.

When I went, it was late September and beautiful, with lots of warm sunny afternoons and fog in the mornings. It was probably in the high 60s, so layering would work best.

Vancouver has good transit and you might want to try going without a car .

Regarding the balcony,when I went to Norway, my TA suggested that we get a larger non-balcony cabin with a great window. I don't know how many ships have that, but it was perfect. We could watch the world go by and wouldn't have spent much time out on the balcony anyway. It was a bit too chilly.

Viv

September is very often a beautiful month in Vancouver, it will have cooled down into the 60’s and 70’s with heavy dew in the mornings and sometimes fog that will burn off by mid morning. However being on the “Wet Coast” there is some risk of rain as well. But September is considered a good month to visit, schools are back in session and the big tourist push has dissipated.

However as you move up to what we refer to as the North Coast and Alaska your chance of rain and fog does increase a great deal. So come prepared.

By mid-September you should be able to find some good hotels at under $150 per night in the downtown area. Ones that I would consider would be Hampton Inn, Sandman Inn, the Blue Horizon, Pacific Palisades and the Best Western-Downtown on Drake St.

As for a car, that will become a personal and economic choice. But not only will you have the cost of the car rental but you will likely be paying $15 to $20 a night to park it at a downtown hotel plus the cost of parking at many of the sights. There are a couple of tour companies worthy of consideration such as http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/citytours/tour.html and http://www.vancouvertours.com/index.html I would lean towards the tours but with 2 small children you may find the car more to your liking.

Thank u all for the info.

I can definitely go in Sept. One final Q about staying in downtown vancouver (for abt 2-3 days), would getting food(dinner) be a problem in the night? I am not looking for the real fancy restaurants. Something to take the kids into and have a decent meal.

I know I can post in the other thread abt Vancouver, but still..

I will post all my future questions abt vancouver there. thanks

Not a problem at all for dinner. There are lots of choices. Try White Spot, Milestones, Earls, and Spaghetti Factory. Just keep in mind that "pubs" don't allow anyone under 19, even just for a meal.

Viv

Archived