Single supplement, ad nauseum

dibble27

Hi gang. I realize this is probably a very worn-out topic by now...forgive me in advance. Do any of the major cruise lines cut solos a break or is it always double price? Some guidebooks swear by reasonable supplements, but every time I call the major lines there's no such thing. Or is there? Please share your tips and/or gripes. I just completed a Celebrity cruise with some extended family and positively LOVED having my own cabin. We moved the kids into one room so some of the adults (me) got their own. Can't count on that strategy every time, unfortunately.

I've paid supplements of 140-150% on Carnival and Holland America. A lot depends on the cabin you want, the itinerary, and time of year.

As a general rule, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian charge solos 200%.

Roz

... Do any of the major cruise lines cut solos a break or is it always double price? ...

When you have a chance, check out the thread titled CRUISE LINE Single Supplement Bargains -- Post Here on the Solo Cruisers Forum.

Click here for the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=851324

Hoping this information will be helpful and wishing you lots of 080402gudl_prv.gif

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Hi gang, thanks for the info! I realized after my posting that I was really looking for solo cruise stuff, not single. I will head over there.

Single - solo - doesn't matter which if you are travelling alone the cruiselines don't distiguish in their pricing. Single=travelling alone... I just love the English language don't you!

I'm booked on the Elation (Carnival) to Baja for 5 days, leaving May 31, and the final cost was around 130-something percent (the double occupancy rate was 369 pp, I paid around $485, these are before taxes).

I've been browsing Princess lately and am noticing that a lot of their Caribbean itins for early '09 are around 140-150%. These rates are for the cheapest inside cabins and I've noticed that there don't seem to be many breaks on Alaska itins. I guess that it's a combination of the market, availability, advance purchase, time of year, etc.

It really does pay to shop around. I booked all mine online and am thinking maybe I should have gone to a TA and gotten some shipboard credits or perks, but I don't imagine I would have gotten any better fares. Am I right or wrong? This is my first cruise.

• 1 month later...

Carnival's single suppliment (one person in a room), does vary on how full the ship is. However, I was assigned a Carnival Personal Vacation Planner after my cruise in March (7day) who called to see how the cruise was. While talking with him, I mentioned that I had just booked another cruise (14 day Transatlantic). He called me up to let me know that they had a last minute deal on a 4 day cruise. Although the single suppliment was 150%, the cruise including taxes/fees, gas suppliment and single suppliment was only $452.95. To make the deal even sweeter, he gave me an inside cabin on the 10th deck.

To say the least, I'm very happy with Carnival and the personal service that they have given me.

Single - solo - doesn't matter which if you are travelling alone the cruiselines don't distiguish in their pricing. Single=travelling alone... I just love the English language don't you!

While the cruise price is the same, there are two different forums because the interests of those looking for "singles" cruises and those cruising solo might be very different. In fact, many people cruising solo are not single or interested in singles activities.

Carnival's single suppliment (one person in a room), does vary on how full the ship is. However, I was assigned a Carnival Personal Vacation Planner after my cruise in March (7day) who called to see how the cruise was. While talking with him, I mentioned that I had just booked another cruise (14 day Transatlantic). He called me up to let me know that they had a last minute deal on a 4 day cruise. Although the single suppliment was 150%, the cruise including taxes/fees, gas suppliment and single suppliment was only $452.95. To make the deal even sweeter, he gave me an inside cabin on the 10th deck.

To say the least, I'm very happy with Carnival and the personal service that they have given me.

WOW!! :eek:

I've never had any cruise line call me to see how my cruise was after a cruise. Nor has any agent called me to offer me a last minute deal.

I have told agents, both online and in brick and mortar stores, that since I live in San Diego, I can catch a cruise out of San Diego or Los Angeles in a heartbeat ... but they never follow up. :(

What did you do to get such personal attention??? :confused:

Archived