• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Credit Card Number Used In The Mexican Riveria

American Express is just what it says it is. American! As it's worthless outside the states.

Would you believe we NEVER thought about it until I was told it wasn't accepted? It was a total "Duh!" moment. (Imagine me smacking my forehead.) Such an oversight. :o

Ah well. Live and learn. Now we're prepared. Our next cruise is to New Zealand and Australia, and we'll have our two VISA cards.

Robin

Would you believe we NEVER thought about it until I was told it wasn't accepted? It was a total "Duh!" moment. (Imagine me smacking my forehead.) Such an oversight. :o

Ah well. Live and learn. Now we're prepared. Our next cruise is to New Zealand and Australia, and we'll have our two VISA cards.

Robin

LOL I don't have to imagine it, I had that moment also. You see their commericals of people using their cards all over the world. So we are lead to believe that the card is good everywhere. But in reality, it's not.

I have problems on the opposite end of the spectrum. I called Am Ex platinum and told them I was going to be on a cruise ship, and gave them the dates. I told them that when they got charges from the ship, to let them pass. Well, they didn't. I kept getting letters from the on board bank telling me that Am Ex denied the charges. I wracked up over $300 in phone charges arguing with Amex. This denial of charges happened three times during an 11 day cruise, and nothing I did could change anything. Amex kept telling me that their software kept throwing back the charges as fraud and there was nothing they could do, despite the fact that my account was flagged for being on a cruise ship. So, there's two sides of this whole credit card business. Too bad we can't go back to cash only.

I have problems on the opposite end of the spectrum. I called Am Ex platinum and told them I was going to be on a cruise ship, and gave them the dates. I told them that when they got charges from the ship, to let them pass. Well, they didn't. I kept getting letters from the on board bank telling me that Am Ex denied the charges. I wracked up over $300 in phone charges arguing with Amex. This denial of charges happened three times during an 11 day cruise, and nothing I did could change anything. Amex kept telling me that their software kept throwing back the charges as fraud and there was nothing they could do, despite the fact that my account was flagged for being on a cruise ship. So, there's two sides of this whole credit card business. Too bad we can't go back to cash only.

Interesting, I have Blue and I bought an excursion from Celebrity. Everything went through fine and it was billed on my statement as "Celebrity Cruises".

Now does anyone know if these credit card companies will put a cap on purchases. For instance, when I call and notify them I'll be going out of the country and might make purchases there, can I tell them to only allow a purchase under $200?

Interesting, I have Blue and I bought an excursion from Celebrity. Everything went through fine and it was billed on my statement as "Celebrity Cruises".

I have a green and a delta amex, never had any problem using them on RCI, Celebrity, Azamara or Disney.

Now does anyone know if these credit card companies will put a cap on purchases. For instance, when I call and notify them I'll be going out of the country and might make purchases there, can I tell them to only allow a purchase under $200?

You can tell them anything, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will happen. Like I said with my AmEx Platinum card, they knew I was traveling, had it in my record, but their stupid computer still kicked back the charges as fraud. I honestly think there was something wrong with their software because they actually told me that even though it's in the record that I was traveling, it really makes no difference to their computers. If the computer thinks it's fraud, that's what it will be and they will decline the charge. I've had problems with AmEx before and their declining purchases, so I think they may have a glitch in their software.

But like I said, you can call and tell them not to allow any purchases over a certain amount, but it may or may not work.

How safe is your credit card in the room safe? Maybe someone from the ship took the numbers and went to Mexicao and bought tickets. Odd that it hapened after we were back in the states for 9 days. I don't want to think that but it could happen.

Archived