Stone Island In Mazatlan?

Cruisin'40

Hi Helen,

This was posted on the thread "Las Caletas & Stone Island Excursions - Just got back today." The response is by TrayceeJ. Check out the thread- it may give you a little more info.

~Laura C.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Correia_Cruiser

I'm confused about the tour that you did in Mazatlan... I was under the impression that there were basically two- Randi's Happy Horses and the Stone Island Tour that King David does. Now I'm beginning to think that a lot of people do a "Stone Island Tour"?? Can someone perhaps list the different companies that do this type of tour? Do you have more info on the one you did? Is this the one you do NOT recommend? I'm trying to find out more about what excursions are best for us in Mazatlan for our May cruise.

Reply by TrayceeJ:

There are many Stone Island Tour Companies. Stone Island is a stretch of beach with restaurants in a row. Puesta De Sol is the company that we used (and disliked) through Mazatlan.com.mx. There is Randie's Happy Horses and King David that I have heard nothing but good things about. There is also Miguel's Horses, which I know nothing about. Unless you are booking with Randie or King David there wasn't much to Stone Island. You of course can book directly through your cruise line and they will back your excursion. Let me know if you have any other questions. I will try to help.

• 1 month later...

Miguel was Randi's original partner. My first ride with Randi we went to Miguel's house and used his horses. He is also a very nice man and does the EXACT same tour that Randi does. I would have no problem recommending Miguel. He is a class act.

Well if you take the tour with King David will be included everything with the activities, lunch , all you can drinks, banana boat rides, horse back riding, all of that for the same price without paying more, and the restaurant has a great beach and great services and you will be able to do a bay tour around Mazatlan .

Happy cruising in the mexican riviera amego. :)

Do you have to book ahead for this tour? Or can you catch him at the dock?

Can anyone tell me about the beach at Stone Island - particularly for a 5 year old. Is the water calm? ... don't need a lake, but don't want strong undertow. Are there chairs and umbrellas - free or to rent? Are there bath rooms?

Such great information here. Stone Island is looking like the place we want to go ... but without the horse back riding.

Thanks,

Diane

The beach on Stone Island is the best for children. There are no under tows and not many big waves, unless there is a storm. Anyway you go there your children will have a more than great time and good food for the adults.:D Kids too, but they usually are too busy playing in the surf to eat.

Sharon Gilbert

• 1 month later...

You stated that you disliked the excursion provided by Puesta De Sol on Stone Island. What was it that you disliked. I'm hoping that I do not regret booking with them after reading your post. Their website and the amenities that they claim to offer looked pretty good. It seemed like a good value for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Magic Cruise,

Actually, that was a comment by TrayceeJ. Here's the quote and the link to that "conversation":

Hi Helen,

This was posted on the thread "Las Caletas & Stone Island Excursions - Just got back today." The response is by TrayceeJ. Check out the thread- it may give you a little more info.

~Laura C.

(Below are the original comments by TrayceeJ, from thread "Las Caletas& Stone Island Excursions", see link above)

There are many Stone Island Tour Companies. Stone Island is a stretch of beach with restaurants in a row. Puesta De Sol is the company that we used (and disliked) through Mazatlan.com.mx. There is Randie's Happy Horses and King David that I have heard nothing but good things about. There is also Miguel's Horses, which I know nothing about. Unless you are booking with Randie or King David there wasn't much to Stone Island. You of course can book directly through your cruise line and they will back your excursion. Let me know if you have any other questions. I will try to help.

If you check out those other threads, you may get a clearer picture of her feedback on Puesta De Sol, or maybe try emailing her directly, if she's set up to receive emails. I'm only planning my first cruise for May, so I can't help you much more than to point you in the direction of the more experienced Mexican cruisers. Sorry!

Regards, Laura

We booked this excursion through Princess and we were satisfied. We loaded on to the boat adjacent to the cruise ship which was nice. Then they took you on a little boat ride and tried to provide you with a little sight seeing and history. Then you arrive at Stone Island, which is right across from where you dock the ship. You are then loaded into little carts pulled by tractors over to the beach/ restaraunt area.

A horseback ride or a carriage ride is included and then you can just lay around on the beach. We skipped both the horse options since we had found a good place on the beach and wanted to just hang out there. The water was fine for the kids, not to rough at all. They had banana boat rides for $5. Bring your own towels there aren't any there. There is a restroom and a place to wash hands and an open air shower to rinse off the sand.

We had an open bar that included pop, adult beverages and bottled water and we had three different choices of food for lunch. The beach was nice, there were some vendors but they were not to pushy.

They ended the day with a pinata for the kids which was a nice touch. Then it was back to the ship. Instead of taking you right back to where they picked you up they drop you off a bit further from the ship so you have to walk through a shopping area to cabs or a bus. The bus then drove you back to the pier where you again had to walk through more shops... Some people liked the extra shopping I could have skipped that part. I am not sure which company does the tour. Overall, we were satisfied.

Archived