A novice needs help

Kinkacruiser

We have booked a cruise around Tahiti and islands later this year and believe this is a wonderful place for this sport. I did snorkel once about 30 years ago but just floated belly down in the water observing the coral and fish. It was wonderful.

My queries then are:-

1.Do snorkellers generally dive below the surface or just float on top?

2.Do I need to purchase fins if I choose to just float?

3.Should I get lessons before we go?

4. Finally, can anyone you recommend a brand or type of snorkelling equipment (in Australia) for a novice?

I'd be greatly oblidged for your feedback.

Cheers

Kinkacruiser

We have booked a cruise around Tahiti and islands later this year and believe this is a wonderful place for this sport. I did snorkel once about 30 years ago but just floated belly down in the water observing the coral and fish. It was wonderful.

My queries then are:-

1.Do snorkellers generally dive below the surface or just float on top?

2.Do I need to purchase fins if I choose to just float?

3.Should I get lessons before we go?

4. Finally, can anyone you recommend a brand or type of snorkelling equipment (in Australia) for a novice?

I'd be greatly oblidged for your feedback.

Cheers

Kinkacruiser

Kinkacruiser,

Your off to Tahiti too? Me as well.... Can't wait.

As far as snorkeling, most just float around on their belly observing what's below the surface. Some, myself included, do go below the surface doing what is called, "free diving". That's not the norm for most snorklers as you need to be educated in how to do that properly. You can hurt yourself/damage your lungs if your not careful. Free diving is taught in our basic scuba classes. I'm a diver so I do it often but my snorkler friends do not as they aren't comfortable and weren't taught that.

As far as fins, I think they are good to have. It gives you more propulsion and you don't tire as easily. It's just a leisurely cruise around the water. And if you need speed or ability to get somewhere quick, you have it.

It never hurts to have lessons so you feel more comfortable and learn how to use the mask and snorkel. Some people don't learn and then get water up their nose or other things and get scared or worse. It would never hurt. And if you live in Australia, what a great place to learn to snorkel....lol....

I use Body Blove for my snorkel gear. It's done fine by me but others may have diff. recommendations. Hope this is helpful. :D

Me too I am going in June!!!:D I would recommend the helmet dive. You don't even have to know how to swim to do it.

Also I would recommend doing organized excursions that would provide a life jacket or floatie if you needed one. Alot of times they have someone who helps newbies.

Practice makes perfect so I would definetly try to practice over the summer if you can. Oopps, I just figured out that your summer is over. :( The thing I always try to teach people is to relax. People are generally very bouyant in salt water and with your head down you only need to kick your feet a little. (Fins will really help with this)

Any brand will suffice just as long as the mask fits properly. Defog it with a little baby shampoo, quick rinse before you go and you will be on your way. Good luck and enjoy!!

Hi cruzegirl and drifting away,

Appreciate your tips and tricks, plus the speedy reply. I will be purchasing the gear with those points in mind and heading off to our local swimming pool for a lesson before we go (our pools are now closed until September).

Looking forward to the experience of the Coral Gardens at Raiatea... "like swimming in an aquarium" as one snorkeller put it.

Enjoy your upcoming cruises.

Cheers,

Kinkacruiser

That's not the norm for most snorklers as you need to be educated in how to do that properly. You can hurt yourself/damage your lungs if your not careful.

I don't think that is correct. If you are free diving the air in your lungs are at surface pressure. When you dive underwater the air pressure increases and the air volume decreases. When you surface, it expands back to the same pressure it was when you started the dive. That is if you hold your breath. if you exhale it is even less of an issue.

What ship are you cruising on? If you are going on the Paul Gauguin, I believe they provide fins, mask and snorkel for passengers. I haven't been on the PG since 2005, but we checked out equipment for the duration of the cruise at no charge. I have since decided I would like my own equipment and purchased my own mask, snorkel and short fins which are easily packed.

Hi cruzegirl and drifting away,

Appreciate your tips and tricks, plus the speedy reply. I will be purchasing the gear with those points in mind and heading off to our local swimming pool for a lesson before we go (our pools are now closed until September).

Looking forward to the experience of the Coral Gardens at Raiatea... "like swimming in an aquarium" as one snorkeller put it.

Enjoy your upcoming cruises.

Cheers,

Kinkacruiser

Hi,

If you're in any bit of a city where you live there is probably a local scuba diving shop and many offer snorkel lessons whereever they do their swimming pool training for their divers, usually very reasonably. Might be worth a look.

Randall

P.S. And I agree about holding your breath diving down while snorkeling, there's little if any chance of lung problems when filling them with air from the surface (divers can have issues because they can take in compressed air at depth). Now getting your ears to clear on a quick dive down, make sure you can do that (instructions are further down the scuba/snorkeling threads).

I don't think that is correct. If you are free diving the air in your lungs are at surface pressure. When you dive underwater the air pressure increases and the air volume decreases. When you surface, it expands back to the same pressure it was when you started the dive. That is if you hold your breath. if you exhale it is even less of an issue.

Agreed.... But how many people, if they are not divers, know about releasing the air or exhaling on the way up? That is how I was taught by my instructor. But also, I've seen some people try to "free dive" or dive down when seeing something that have no idea what they are doing. They come up gasping for air, sputtering out water and scared. And they should learn about currents just to have some knowledge. The better educated, they better time they will have.

Archived