Culinary Arts Center Question

2BSailin

I have been looking for information on the Culinary Arts Center. Do they offer classes even if there is not a visiting chef on board?

We are going on the Westerdam 8/31.

I would love to know what they offer!

Thanks!

I have been looking for information on the Culinary Arts Center. Do they offer classes even if there is not a visiting chef on board?

We are going on the Westerdam 8/31.

I would love to know what they offer!

Thanks!

Yes' date=' they offer classes even if there is not a visiting chef onboard. The Pinnacle Grill chef or the Executive Chef onboard will offer cooking classes, in addition to the free cooking demos. The classes are small in size, and you need to sign up ASAP upon boarding, as you cannot register for them prior to embarkation. You can sign up through the front desk, or through the Neptune Lounge concierge if you are in a Deluxe Verandah Suite (categories SA, SB, or SC on the Vista ships, and category "S" on the R and S class ships) or the Penthouse Suite (category PH).

The cooking [b']demos[/b], as opposed to the classes, are free, and you don't need to sign up for them. I believe the classes run about $29 per person per class. In addition, there are special cooking classes offered for teens and children through the Club HAL program.

Here is a link to HAL's website describing the activities onboard. Click on "Culinary Arts Center" for information describing the program. You may need to wait a few seconds for everything to load. (The HAL website is slow and cumbersome at times).

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Activities.action

DH took a class on the Zuiderdam and loved it. He signed up for it as soon as we boarded because the classes are small. He received an apron and the class was served lunch in the Pinnacle Grill. They made veal chops and a few other things; their lunch was the same menu, but not what the class had prepared. The chef was not a visiting or celebrity chef, but one from the Zuiderdam. Very worthwhile and DH is all set to do it again this year.

Just make sure there is no culinary group cruise the week you are on.:( I went to the front desk as soon as I got on the Noordam, signed up for cooking demonstrations and later that day got a call saying all demonstrations had been cancelled for the week due to a private culinary group that would be using the center all week. I wasn't happy about that.:mad:

Just make sure there is no culinary group cruise the week you are on.:( I went to the front desk as soon as I got on the Noordam, signed up for cooking demonstrations and later that day got a call saying all demonstrations had been cancelled for the week due to a private culinary group that would be using the center all week. I wasn't happy about that.:mad:

How would you find out if there was one booked?

I will be disapointed too as I have been all geared for it... planning to speed my way to the office and sign up as soon as I board.

Archived