First time in Tortola - Need Help!!

amy2313

Hi Everyone,

Two years ago we were on a cruise destined for Tortola but due to a jumper we never made it there so we are trying again. Since we have limited time on the island 7am - 2:00pm, we want to make the most of it. So I have a few questions I am hoping people can help with...

1) Most of my group are big snorkelers so is there a beach that you would definitely recommend over another for snorkeling?

2) Do the beaches have watersport activities? Jet skis, banana boats, kayaks, etc.

3) I am also a surfer and read there is a particular beach, Apple Bay that you can get some good surf? Is there also snorkeling around here to occupy my other travelers??

4) Do most of the beaches have some sort of beach bar?

5) And last, what is Pusser's Landing? where is it??

Thanks

1. Probably the best beach for snorkeling from shore would be Brewer's Bay.

2. Jet skis are illegal in the BVI (thank goodness) however there were a few left around that were grandfathered in prior to the law, all are old and as they stop working they can not be replaced, at least not legally. You can rent kayaks and occasionally there is a banana boat on Jost Van Dyke. The BVI are not big for high action water sports and that's a good thing. Their main focus has always been on the natural. There are plenty of other islands with all that touristy junk.

3. Apple Bay is a surfers beach during the winter months but there is not much in the way of snorkeling there.

4. Most beaches have some sort of bar whether it is a building or abunch of crates thrown together.

5. Pusser's Landing is a name that seems to have coincided with the growth of the cruise ships to Tortola. It is a small shopping area with a Pusser's Bar/restaurant located in Soper's Hole on the west end of Tortola.

1. Probably the best beach for snorkeling from shore would be Brewer's Bay.

2. Jet skis are illegal in the BVI (thank goodness) however there were a few left around that were grandfathered in prior to the law, all are old and as they stop working they can not be replaced, at least not legally. You can rent kayaks and occasionally there is a banana boat on Jost Van Dyke. The BVI are not big for high action water sports and that's a good thing. Their main focus has always been on the natural. There are plenty of other islands with all that touristy junk.

3. Apple Bay is a surfers beach during the winter months but there is not much in the way of snorkeling there.

4. Most beaches have some sort of bar whether it is a building or abunch of crates thrown together.

5. Pusser's Landing is a name that seems to have coincided with the growth of the cruise ships to Tortola. It is a small shopping area with a Pusser's Bar/restaurant located in Soper's Hole on the west end of Tortola.

Thank you so much for answering all of our different questions. I think my group is going to split up for the morning and take part in a couple excursions and then we are really hoping that we will have enough time to just relax, take in the sights and spend around an hour snorkeling at Brewer's Bay.

Part of my group just wants to take a tour of the island and then get dropped off at Brewer's Bay. To do this, is there a tour company that they should book through or do you just hire a taxi to bring you around??

Also, I'm not sure if you will know, two of us from my group want to snorkel at Norman Island (an excursion that is sponsored through Carnival from 7:30am - 10:00am) and then meet up with the rest of our group/family at Brewer's Bay before needing to be back on the ship at 2:00. I have no idea how long it takes to get around the island but do you think we would have enough time to spend a little time at Brewer's Bay as well if we get of the snorkeling excursion at 10:00??

Thanks so much. Your advice is so greatly appreciated.

Archived