Sign in to follow this  
Milly_60

New Cruiser - more questions

Oh by the way, could someone please tell me how the duty free alcohol works? I'd like to bring some home but don't know when I should get it. Someone said Noumea is cheap. If I buy there, do I just bring it on with me but not drink it and declare at Customs at the end of my trip? Same with cigarettes too plz?

Also, the theme nights. For ppl who have nothing to wear do they just not attend? Or are they allowed to attend and just enjoy the scenery, so to speak? Not sure I can afford to buy attire, and no time left in my hectic schedule between now and Sunday, so was wondering...

Oh by the way, could someone please tell me how the duty free alcohol works? I'd like to bring some home but don't know when I should get it. Someone said Noumea is cheap. If I buy there, do I just bring it on with me but not drink it and declare at Customs at the end of my trip? Same with cigarettes too plz?

Also, the theme nights. For ppl who have nothing to wear do they just not attend? Or are they allowed to attend and just enjoy the scenery, so to speak? Not sure I can afford to buy attire, and no time left in my hectic schedule between now and Sunday, so was wondering...

If you are going to Vila, that is the cheapest (by far) for alcohol. Go to Fung Kuei on the left at the far end of the main street. You will not be permitted to keep the alcohol on board, and it will be delivered to your cabin on the last day. I suppose you could drink it then if you were so inclined. I understand that you can keep duty free cigs on board and smoke them, but as we are not smokers, I am not sure.

Theme nights - Only dress up if you wish. You are still welcome to attend and have fun.:):):) If you are going to Vila you can buy some 'Island gear' in the markets there. The Island Night is often on the night when the ship leaves Vila.

Buy your duty Free in Vila, Fung Kwei is the shop. All the drivers know it. They will bag it up for you and deliver it to the ship. It will be put in your cabin on the last day/night of the cruise. Any alcohol you bring onboard yourself will be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise.

Cigarettes are cheap at Vila too, however I think you have to carry those back to the ship yourself. You can also keep those in your room and smoke them while onboard. You can buy packets from the bars on the ship to smoke and they are much cheaper than here.

For the theme nights you do not have to dress up and cant still join in. A lot of people don't bother dressing up. Island night is usually after Vila as it is a cheap place for "Islandy" things. They also usually have Country and Western and Rock n Roll.

For C&W just wear a pair of jeans, if you have longer hair put it in two piggy tails and dab some freckles on your face. Two dollar shops often have cowboy hats if you do feel like buying or have the time. Also if you have one of those cancer bandanna things wear that around your neck.

For R&R, full skirt, capri pants, hair in a ponytail with a scarf around it or around your neck. Think of the movie Grease.

Thanks so much for that. I will do my best on my last day before I leave to try and grab something, but at least I know I won't be frowned on if I still rock up and enjoy the atmosphere, not dressed up. Is this night only for adults tho?

Thanks so much for that. I will do my best on my last day before I leave to try and grab something, but at least I know I won't be frowned on if I still rock up and enjoy the atmosphere, not dressed up. Is this night only for adults tho?

I think you're on the same cruise as me Milly,(april 13)? You won't be alone, i haven't even thought about theme nights, maybe a hawaiian shirt,pair of jeans, and straw hat to cover all bases :) :)

Each adult can bring 2 1\2 litres of alcohol back through customs duty free. For your budget, Fung Kwei in Vila has most good spirits for around $18 per 1 1\4 litre bottle. Don't smoke, so can't remember the tobacco limits. We bought back two whopping Churchill cigars with our grog to the ship. When we handed the package over to the security guy, he took the cigars out and handed them over.

Cigs on ship $5.50 pkt,no matter how many in pack,same price,you are allowed 250 cigs when arriving back through customs,when you buy duty free make sure cigs and alcohol are packaged seperatly or you will not be able to access cigs until you return to sydney.technically you should not open duty free cigs until ship has left vanuatu waters.

If you are going to Vila, that is the cheapest (by far) for alcohol. Go to Fung Kuei on the left at the far end of the main street. You will not be permitted to keep the alcohol on board, and it will be delivered to your cabin on the last day. I suppose you could drink it then if you were so inclined. I understand that you can keep duty free cigs on board and smoke them, but as we are not smokers, I am not sure.

Theme nights - Only dress up if you wish. You are still welcome to attend and have fun.:):):) If you are going to Vila you can buy some 'Island gear' in the markets there. The Island Night is often on the night when the ship leaves Vila.

as long as you are casually dressed,wear what you wish any night, theme or formal,nobody cares:)

there are some really good tips on here about the duty free...

on my first cruise we hunted all over Noumea looking for the "duty free" finally came accross it and spent awhile drooling over Ms Chanel and Ms Dior while hubby enjoyed time with Mr J Walker and that Canadian fellow last name Club...tally up the damage and the lovely lady at the counter says thankyou we will deliver this to the ship for you.....WHAT THE? No thanks I'll just take my stuff now...but no she was persistent!

:o Of course we later learnt that it was the standard procedure!

Enjoy your duty free shopping!

Thanks for all the help ppl. That helps me understand it all a little more.

As for duty free, yes think I will buy grog at Vila, and yes - let them take it so I don't myself in trouble. Re smokes, think I will buy on boat to last boat, then maybe buy some duty free in vila to 'not open until customs'.

And great to know I can still rock up to the theme nights as I am (if I don't have time to get anything organised). I love watching those nites, even if I'm not participating.

And wow, that's 2 ppl I have received replies to on this site that are on my cruise :) it's kinda nice..Hopefully I will have the pleasure of meeting you Shaver64. I am on Barga Deck but will frequent Bengal Bar no doubt! Just yell out "Hey Milly, you there?" If I am I'm sure to put my hand up. (not my irl name btw so it's all good). Thanks again everyone for your help. Must get some lanyards too, as I thought that was a great suggesetion, instead of losing cruise keycard and cabin door card.