Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blessedwith12

If you've done an Edventure Tour...

Hi!

Thanks again for your experiences. 2 1/2 weeks to go til we leave. It's freezing in Minnesota again so we are sitting here dreaming about our trip.

$40 seems high for the tip, I am a big tipper too, but I always tip on how I felt about the person, so that sounds like what you did.

What about towels, clothes, and camera? Did you have a waterproof camera? How and where did you keep towels/bag/and clothes?

Hi!

Thanks again for your experiences. 2 1/2 weeks to go til we leave. It's freezing in Minnesota again so we are sitting here dreaming about our trip.

$40 seems high for the tip, I am a big tipper too, but I always tip on how I felt about the person, so that sounds like what you did.

What about towels, clothes, and camera? Did you have a waterproof camera? How and where did you keep towels/bag/and clothes?

It's getting cold again here in Ohio, too. Makes us miss Mexico even more! I have never tipped on a tour like that before so I don't know if it was high or not. However, Ricardo earned every dime and more. He was an exceptional guide and a fantastic person. We had some health problems which required a little extra planning and he was so considerate of our needs. He really went out of his way to make sure we had a good time and rearranged things to enable us to do more than we planned. He really did make the trip special for us and looking back at our pictures, we still feel so fondly towards him. We had disposable underwater cameras that we used. The pictures in the ocean and lagoon turned out well - the ones from the cenote were too dark. At the ocean and cenote, our towels and clothes, medical equipment, etc, stayed in the car. It was just a very short walk back to the car. At the lagoon, there were rock around where we could leave our things.I thought we might change back into our clothes but we just stayed in our suits with t-shirts over them. They provided a cooler with the kinds of drinks we wanted. Someday, God willing, we are going back again.

I hope you get back too! It really is true that PEOPLE make the difference of a memorable trip. When we went on our Mediterranean cruise last Nov. we stayed in Barcelona for a couple days first and we absolutley loved it because of the people.

Bev- When are you going?? Looks like you'll be on Carnival on the 19th one day AFTER we have our time with edventures! Have a great time!

We're taking our Edventure on the 21st!!! I cannot wait! Three more weeks!!!

This whole trip is going to be amazing.... my girls and I are just beside ourselves to be going. It's definitely the biggest trip we've ever taken and we cannot wait. :)

Bev

Bev-

That is so awesome. I hope you have a wonderful time. My sister dosen't understand why I like to check in here with Cruise Critic...but this is why! It is so neat to share and share in with other peoples excitement of our trips, isn't it! When we went on our Mediterranean cruise last year our family was happy for us but didn't really want to talk about it much or hear the details too much. It was so neat to have the cruise critic boards to share with the friends we met on our cruise and we continue to talk still 6 months later!

I wish my daughter was going with us, I have asked two of the four and they just can't swing it. There's just something special about sharing something new and great with daughters.

Oh I totally agree... my girls and I talk about it constantly, but we all feel weird talking about it too much with others... like we're bragging :o...

I scrapbook our vacations and I just cannot imagine the pictures we'll have after this trip! Oldest dd is a great photographer and takes amazing pictures!

My mom is the skeptical one... she keeps telling me that she hopes I'm not going to get "ripped off" by the cruise line and by the tour people. I've assured her that I have researched everything! She does not understand the internet at all.... :rolleyes:

Bev

I think I've shot myself in the foot. Since I'm the only one that knows about the trip we're taking in July, I'm going crazy trying to keep the secret. To top it off, I'm recovering from ankle surgery, so I'm sitting at the house literally doing nothing except thinking about this cruise in 76 days.

If it wasn't for this board and reading it EVERY SINGLE DAY, MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY, I think I'd be spending part of my convalescent leave in some hospital somewhere getting valium pumped into me constantly.

Bill

P.S. Sorry...hijacked the thread a little here.

Since we've been back, I try really HARD, not to talk about it all of the time! I love coming on the boards and sharing our experiences, too. It's like having dinner with a friend and offering them a bite of your pie - you just have to try this. It's more fun if you have someone to share with. My daughters and I put together a slide show to music. The section at Tulum is set to the Newsboys "in Wonder" and the cenotes and lagoon are to "I hope you dance". When I listen to the words and look at the pictures, I could cry. Looking at my daughters snorkeling and playing with a monkey - thinking of all I hope they will experience in the future - it's amazing. My oldest daughter said her life would never be the same. I think all of us have come back changed. My world is bigger and I have a hunger to see more. We have already booked our next cruise for next March - this time to the Grand Cayman. I just want to take Bonnie, Eddie and Ricardo with us there! All of you who are still going - enjoy every minute of your planning and then get ready for a fantastic day.

Since we've been back, I try really HARD, not to talk about it all of the time! I love coming on the boards and sharing our experiences, too. It's like having dinner with a friend and offering them a bite of your pie - you just have to try this. It's more fun if you have someone to share with. My daughters and I put together a slide show to music. The section at Tulum is set to the Newsboys "in Wonder" and the cenotes and lagoon are to "I hope you dance". When I listen to the words and look at the pictures, I could cry. Looking at my daughters snorkeling and playing with a monkey - thinking of all I hope they will experience in the future - it's amazing. My oldest daughter said her life would never be the same. I think all of us have come back changed. My world is bigger and I have a hunger to see more. We have already booked our next cruise for next March - this time to the Grand Cayman. I just want to take Bonnie, Eddie and Ricardo with us there! All of you who are still going - enjoy every minute of your planning and then get ready for a fantastic day.

Hello,

I just read through this thread and searched for what you asked in your original question. Although I didn't find anything for GC or the Bahamas, I did find an underground river swim in Puerto Rico. Here is the link I found.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/10/05/travel/escapes/05adventure.html

I am in the process of booking an edventure for this November. It will be my SIL and I on our yearly girls cruise.

May I suggest in Grand Cayman that you book through Captain Marvin for the Stingray and 2 stop snorkel tour. We did that last year and it was wonderful! Stingray alley was awesome, but the snorkeling stops they took you on were out of this world!

Thanks for the advice about Captain Marvin. We will be on the Inspiration and only in GC from 7 to 2 so I hope we can fit a trip in. You will have such a good time with Edventures.

Thanks for the advice about Captain Marvin. We will be on the Inspiration and only in GC from 7 to 2 so I hope we can fit a trip in. You will have such a good time with Edventures.

You're welcome. Guess we swapped tour companies that will show you a good time.:p

We've been dealing with a serious illness with our 6 year old and I really needed a break - a time to recharge for the next phase of our battle. It was a wonderful break.

My youngest is 3 so I have a ways to go! Yes, 5 is large these days. We are a regualar freak show.:D

As a family, we usually go to the Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, or last year we went to Topsail Island, NC. We homeschool our kids so we can go in September or October when the rates drop. We then rent a huge beach house where we can spread out.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. I love talking about my day with Edventures.

You have TWELVE kids??!!! That in itself is amazing! Home schooling all of them is double amazing and you've been dealt a health issue blow with your 6 year old??!!! Lady you're my hero! I don't think I have what it takes to do everything you're doing!! God Bless You! I wish you all the best. I hope your 6 year old fully recovers if that's appropriate to say.

You have TWELVE kids??!!! That in itself is amazing! Home schooling all of them is double amazing and you've been dealt a health issue blow with your 6 year old??!!! Lady you're my hero! I don't think I have what it takes to do everything you're doing!! God Bless You! I wish you all the best. I hope your 6 year old fully recovers if that's appropriate to say.

Thanks for your kind words. After 2 or 3 children - it really does get easier (except for grocery shopping and matching socks:) ). If you've ever done an infant and a toddler - it can't get much harder than that. Each time I came home from the hospital - I had older and older children that could help. My oldest daughter could probably run a house by the time she was 11. All the children have responsibilities and help out with the little ones. As for our son Ben, he is seeing improvement. His worst month ever was over 115 seizures. Last month he had his best month in the last 1 1/2 years - only 36, praise God! He is also more alert and not experiencing the major behavior problems he had on some of the medications.

It has really been a couple of hard years - but the cruise was some major medicine for me. I'm totally hooked!

Thanks for your kind words. After 2 or 3 children - it really does get easier (except for grocery shopping and matching socks:) ). If you've ever done an infant and a toddler - it can't get much harder than that. Each time I came home from the hospital - I had older and older children that could help. My oldest daughter could probably run a house by the time she was 11. All the children have responsibilities and help out with the little ones. As for our son Ben, he is seeing improvement. His worst month ever was over 115 seizures. Last month he had his best month in the last 1 1/2 years - only 36, praise God! He is also more alert and not experiencing the major behavior problems he had on some of the medications.

It has really been a couple of hard years - but the cruise was some major medicine for me. I'm totally hooked!

I reiterate my best of luck to you. I wish only good things for you and your son and family. You certainly did need the time away to rejuvenate! I hope you can get away again soon. I hope the doctors are able to find the right remedy of medication to stop your small son's seizures so he is able to live a full and normal life.

I do have one question though.....how do 14 of you go anywhere together? I mean, do you own a BUS for transportation? :D

We have a 15 passenger van. Also, our oldest son is 23 and married now. Our 21 year old daughter lives at home but works and goes to college. Our 18 year old son is also working so it's rather rare that we are all in a vehicle together except on vacation. If you'd like to see some pictures of our family or know more - I'm on CafeMom as blessedwith12. Come see me! Thanks again for all of the sweet wishes. We have high hopes for Ben, too! And you're right, the cruise did me a world of good. I would recommend it for anyone involved in dealing with a long term illness. The daily disappointments and stress can really take their toll. A break really helped me.