point of view for hubbard vs. glacier bay

kruzinwkids

Hi, we are trying to decide between princess island/coral, and HAL, which would go to college fjord and glacier bay vs. RCCL which includes Hubbard Glacier and Icy Strait?

I am very unclear on Hubbard vs. Glacier bay and also confused about Tracy Arm.

Finally, while we are hoping for finer food that cruising used to be known for, with 3 generations, are not sure we're up for formal wear...any input on acceptable attire (that would minimally fulfill the dress code for formal nights) for dining room would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Glacier Bay is best for glaciers, followed by Hubbard - there are no glaciers near Icy Strait.

IMHO, HAL has the best food, followed by RCCL, with Princess not very good (I actually lost weight on Princess last summer).

For dinners, I prefer Princess, then HAL and then RCCL. Though, I will put HAL's breakfasts above Princess. RCCL's food was disappointing.

If you want to see a glacier, pick Glacier Bay. Many of us have missed Hubbard and so far the news is not good for this year for seeing Hubbard. Hopefully they will know more soon.

Don't forget--- I believe that RCCL ships DO NOT have a Naturalist on board.

I cannot tell you how much we learned on the Coral Princess during our sailing from our Naturalist (Barbara Bennett). She was awesome. The commentary will broadcast through your TV and out on deck. The Naturalist is on your entire cruise with you.

Loved Glacier Bay and College Fjords.

We sailed Navigator for Thanksgiving and I didn't love the food. Of course, I didn't starve, either:D !

I don't cruise for the food and have been known in Alaska to skip a few- because of my priority for deck viewing time. :)

Glacier Bay is my favorite, but I have also been to all your list. And all certainly very worthwhile.

However, there is no way to predict what unique viewing will await your particular choice.

I have been to Hubbard on Celebrity in Aug. We were able to get really close and see alot of calving. I am going on HAL to Glacier Bay and wondering are there alot of different Glaciers like College Fiord or one big one like Hubbard? Is it true that You can't go too far into Glacier Bay in May do to ice and seal calfs?

I have been to Hubbard on Celebrity in Aug. We were able to get really close and see alot of calving. I am going on HAL to Glacier Bay and wondering are there alot of different Glaciers like College Fiord or one big one like Hubbard? Is it true that You can't go too far into Glacier Bay in May do to ice and seal calfs?

We may have been on the same cruise and we certainly enjoyed the time at the Hubbard Galacier and the scenery in general.

Usually Glacier Bay cruises view 4 glaciers, sometimes 5. You need to take a look at a map- http://www.nps.gov The only glacier that is "closed" is the John Hopkins, but some ships do give a view from the 5 mile out entrance. The Margerie and Grand Pacific is usually a very close up view- all the time.

Archived