Chance of snow in May???

MikeNKim

We are booked first week of May next year, it is a RT so we aren't going too far north... I just read a post that there has been snow the last day or 2 in Ancourage.

Is there a good chance we will get snow in early May in Glacier Bay, Skagway etc???

Thanks

Kim

We are booked first week of May next year, it is a RT so we aren't going too far north... I just read a post that there has been snow the last day or 2 in Ancourage.

Is there a good chance we will get snow in early May in Glacier Bay, Skagway etc???

Thanks

Kim

I do not think the temps in SE Alaska will support snowfall that time of year. I think your best chance of snow is if you drive from Skagway to Yukon Territory; and even then it might only be snow drifts across the highway.

I'm reading this in Calgary - which is further south than Alaska. I can't see the building across the street at the moment because of multitudes of large white flakes. Will you get snow in May in Alaska - I think the chances are good.

There's only a remote chance of a few flakes on the coast that time of year - very rare but it does happen. Heading up the White Pass at Skagway, or Mt. Roberts at Juneau, increases the odds significantly.

Murray

I'm reading this in Calgary - which is further south than Alaska. I can't see the building across the street at the moment because of multitudes of large white flakes. Will you get snow in May in Alaska - I think the chances are good.
The jetstream is the reason for colder temps in your neck of the woods. Different weather patterns is all.

It's been snowing in southeast Alaska off and on this past week. However it quickly melts off/turns to rain. Snow in April is not that unusual but I don't recall much if any snow at sea level on the ground in May. That said, some excursions that take place up in the mountains can be plagued by snow levels early in the cruise season. And you're certain to see lots of snowy mountains during your visit.

Archived