Next Veendam Dry Dock???

TCF

We're on the Veendam in September for five weeks...Vancouver to Tampa via Panama and Brazil.

I have been noting in some threads about this ship that it getting a little gbrubby and showing significant wear and tear...but what really concerns me is comments about a failing a/c system!

Does anyone know when the Veendam is scheduled for its next trip to dry dock for sprucing up??

It would sure be nice if it is before Sept. 26th!

The Veendam left today for Alaska, and they wouldn't pull a ship out of there for dry dock.

I just got off the Veendam today and experience NO air conditioning problems except one night in the dining room (perhaps the sun?), as well as no sewer smells anywhere. The only stink was when someone down the hall smoked - it gets into the hall and came into my cabin (door was open to use the wireless internet), even though I'm pretty sure I was a few doors away or more. That was solved by closing my door, though.

I thought the ship was in GREAT shape - and I hope to sail her again. After the dry dock I'm assuming the big changes will be in place. The pool on deck 10 will be moved up to deck 11, more cabins will be added in that space on deck 10, and there will be another specialty restaurant added (italian).

Sue/WDW1972

Westerdam 1/11/09

I just got off the Veendam this morning and she is a wonderful ship in very good condition. I had read several reports that she was worn down and shabby and I didn't find that to be the case at all. She is clean beyond belief and has a marvelous staff. My cabin was cool and the plumbing seemed to work pretty well all week throughout the ship. In some of the public areas I was actually cold the AC was working so well. People will always be able to find reasons to complain if they look hard enough. My sister did have brunch at the Mariners party yesterday and she sat with a couple who did nothing but complain about the ship and how she needed to be drydocked immediately. Of course they also complained that HAL had started to have a lot of poor people taking cruises. People that wouldn't and couldn't know high class. My sister about fell out of her chair laughing. This was immediately after the captain had said that they had to have 2 Mariners Brches since out of 1300+ passengers over 800 were Mariners. And don't even get me going on some of the conversations I heard about kids on board. But IMO the Veendam is a great ship and I will sail on her again.

Ship does need work, ask anyone that sailed Oct/Nov 2007, I was one of them. I do look forward to sailing on Eurodam in Nov 2008. I will only sail newer ship after my experience on Veendam. HAL did right by me after last trip.

All, I can absolutely attest that there are DEFINITELY air conditioning issues on the Veendam.

Many passengers on deck 5, portside, aft, had issues. I was lucky enough to have some sort of cooling in my room. The other two cabins in my party did not. At all. I refuse to accept that it is because one of the two cabins was 666.

This truly did have a negative affect on our holiday as four out of six of our group could not sleep and woke up sweaty when they did nod off.

My sister actually begged me to stay in the Explorations Cafe at the puzzle tables while she napped on the sofa (she went to her room to get her pillow).

There were some sewage smells in the lower decks, especially while in port. Generally, I think this is "normal" as I have experienced this on many ships.

BUT, one day...oh, boy was it bad. The aft bathroom on the Lido deck overflowed and it was obvious. Everyone literally stopped eating and sat there with a shocked and revolted look on thier faces.

Also, there seems to be a continual "wetness" near the port side buffet line in the Lido, toward the "end." There were always towels on the floor, in addition to constant wet vacuuming going on (and a slight mildew smell).

Out of all the public bathrooms, the one near the Explorations Cafe is the absolute worst. Needs a thorough hose down with bleach.

Obvious wear and tear: Dull carpets, some rust in the cabin bathrooms, showers in the women's part of the spa do NOT drain well, and overall, the ship herself has a lot of rusty bits.

Service, with the exception of matters dealing with the lack of a/c (no information or explanation was ever provided as to why the cabins had no a/c) was excellent.

This is the first time I couldn't wait to get home from a vacation. The lack of a/c really cast a pall over our holiday. No one had the energy to go out into 90 percent humidity after spending a restless night.

It will be a while before I give HAL another chance (this was my 4th HAL).

I will say again, service in the dining room, cabin, lido, etc. was excellent. Gracious and excellent. I have to hand it to Veendam staff...some of them had no a/c either, yet were on their feet all day with smiles on their faces.

If you have a/c in your room I am sure you will have a wonderful holiday.

If you notice your room is warm upon checking in, don't assume it's because the ship is working on low energy, order your room fan quick, just in case it doesn't kick in when the ship departs.

Others who had a/c issues were like us, lethargic. None of us had the strength to "force" the issue. We accepted it and tried to make the best out of our vacation.

A plate of chocolates with a note of apology was delivered to the cabin...NOT a good idea as they melted before we returned to the cabin.

THERMAL SUITE - If you are interested in using it, you should know that the suites did not have the eucalyptus/citrus/etc. scents that they should have. Basically, it was like being in a steamroom. No aromatherapy aspect, which took away from the "spa" experience.

Thanks everyone!

I am a little nervous at this point! We will be on this ship for FIVE WEEKS and if it has A/C problems in Panama and Brazil I suspect it will not make our vacation a very positive experience.

We're not "picky" cruisers and generally, "go with the flow" when "s**t happens"! But, this is a LONG cruise so things like no A/C will grind on us mostly because I do not deal with high heat and humidity well without a cool place to hide out in for a couple of hours!

I think I will look for some kind of assurances from HAL about the A/C issue before we make final payment.

Again thanks to all of you who took the time to provide us with information.

I read some past Veendam reviews and I guess I went on my cruise with the "It won't happen to me" attitude.

If you read some of the other reviews (2007 Thanksgiving, in particular), I think you'll see that a lot of little things that would normally not phase experienced cruisers were highlighted. For us, the generally feeling was, okay...the a/c doesn't work...but WHY can't they just give me hand towels that don't smell like mildew?

The big struggle for the experienced HAL cruisers in our group was that we could NOT believe that this was HAL. Some may say that it's the attitude that you bring to the situation, but at the same time, I think if the Captain, Hotel Manager, or SOMEONE was up front with us instead of ignoring the problem, we'd at least have felt like HAL wanted to have us as repeat passengers.

The general feeling amongst those without a/c was that the Veendam's manner of handling the situation was that if they ignore us everything is okay.

I truly wish I had read more about the Veendam on these boards BEFORE taking a cruise on her. Even if I had booked on Veendam, I would probably have transferred my reservation to another HAL ship.

My past HAL experiences have been top notch, and it was incomprehensible to me that the experience we had was even possible for HAL. That is how much we LOVE(D) HAL. I think we were in denial that this was actually happening to us.

There is a part of me that wants to keep cruising HAL, but I don't see that happening anytime soon (especially since we had some first time HAL cruisers with us and they were NOT impressed). We have already decided not to go with HAL for our family Mediterranean cruise.

I think I'll be giving HAL a break for now.

Thanks everyone!

I am a little nervous at this point! We will be on this ship for FIVE WEEKS and if it has A/C problems in Panama and Brazil I suspect it will not make our vacation a very positive experience.

We're not "picky" cruisers and generally, "go with the flow" when "s**t happens"! But, this is a LONG cruise so things like no A/C will grind on us mostly because I do not deal with high heat and humidity well without a cool place to hide out in for a couple of hours!

I think I will look for some kind of assurances from HAL about the A/C issue before we make final payment.

Again thanks to all of you who took the time to provide us with information.

HAL will never admit that the Veendam has any issues. Good luck and hope you have a great trip.

I think you are absolutely correct....but...it doesn't hurt to ask! And to tell you the truth...this itinerary is so exciting to us I don't think we would change it!

But...we cruise two times a year...and if HAL wants us back in the future...well we better have a good time on our first cruise with them!

We got off the Veendam Sunday morning. In the middle of the night Thursday on deck 4 around the 790's-800's, the sewage smell was overpowering. It woke me up and I found out did the same to the cabin next door. I've never had a smell wake me up, but that's how bad it was. No problems with the AC. I intend to write a full review, and there are plenty of good things to say. Bottom line, sadly, for me and our travel companions, we're taking a break from HAL after 3 cruises with them. Time to try someone else. For us, the changes in staffing or whatever is going on, were VERY noticeable. Perhaps I will go back to HAL someday, but it's time to at least try someone else. Sad thing for HAL, they had me as a lifetime cruiser until this last cruise.

Archived