Transfer from Vancouver Amtrak to cruise terminal

albyman32

Ok so I think we're going to fly into seattle the night before our cruise and take the amtrak train to Vancouver the morning of to save money. What options do I have in terms of transfer to the cruise terminal? Just good old fashioned taxi? We have a group of 7 fwiw.

Ok so I think we're going to fly into seattle the night before our cruise and take the amtrak train to Vancouver the morning of to save money. What options do I have in terms of transfer to the cruise terminal? Just good old fashioned taxi? We have a group of 7 fwiw.

Ok, I give up, what are "fwiw"s and should we alert the army?

If you are departing from the Canada Place terminal all you need to do is come out of the train station, walk across Main St. to the SkyTrain station and take SkyTrain to Waterfront station. Once at Waterfront you are about 100 paces east of Canada Place. The trip will take a short 15 mins and cost $2.50 CDN per person. Now if you have a lot of baggage or are leaving from the Ballantyne Pier I am afraid it is cab and 7 "fwiw"'s with bags are not all going to get into one cab. Plan your cab fares are going to be about $10/12 to Ballantyne and $15 to Canada Place.

Ok, I give up, what are "fwiw"s and should we alert the army?

If you are departing from the Canada Place terminal all you need to do is come out of the train station, walk across Main St. to the SkyTrain station and take SkyTrain to Waterfront station. Once at Waterfront you are about 100 paces east of Canada Place. The trip will take a short 15 mins and cost $2.50 CDN per person. Now if you have a lot of baggage or are leaving from the Ballantyne Pier I am afraid it is cab and 7 "fwiw"'s with bags are not all going to get into one cab. Plan your cab fares are going to be about $10/12 to Ballantyne and $15 to Canada Place.

fwiw = for what its worth (so no you don't have to alert the army)

We're doing the Carnival Spirit departing June 18th. Any idea which pier that leaves from?

Thanks for the help!

Oh, I feel better already!

You have won the lottery, you will embark at the Canada Place terminal. It is downtown and by far the nicer of the two terminals. The Ballantyne terminal is in an industrial area and not as nice. Here is a link to the Port of Vancouver's schedule.

Hope SkyTrain works for you as it is a big money saver; it is just that it is a bit awkward if you have a lot of baggage each. You will see a bit of the Vancouver downtown skyline from it and go by BC Place Stadium which is a covered stadium where the opening ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Olympics will be held and GM Place where our Vancouver Canucks play. The train then will go underground and you don't have to worry about Waterfront Station, it is the end of the line.

ttfn

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php?

Disclaimers - love Amtrak to Vancouver, love Vancouver, hate Vancouver traffic.

Every Vancouverite I've ever talked to about this topic says "all you have to do is cross Main St..........." I've made this trip 4 or 5 times, each time saying "this is the time I will cross Main St."

I have climbed the REI pinnacle, I have ziplined, swum with sharks, played with stingrays and hovered over a volcano, but I have never gotten up the nerve to grab my two little bags and CROSS MAIN ST! It sounds easy and I would love to ride a skytrain, but those 10 lanes... okay, maybe only eight with extra space here and there... scare the dickens out of me.

Each time I say, this is the year, then I go and meekly stand in the taxi line and pay for my 15 minute trip - 10 minutes stting in traffic and 5 minutes driving - by taxi.:o

Every Vancouverite I've ever talked to about this topic says "all you have to do is cross Main St..........." I've made this trip 4 or 5 times, each time saying "this is the time I will cross Main St."

I have climbed the REI pinnacle, I have ziplined, swum with sharks, played with stingrays and hovered over a volcano, but I have never gotten up the nerve to grab my two little bags and CROSS MAIN ST! It sounds easy and I would love to ride a skytrain, but those 10 lanes... okay, maybe only eight with extra space here and there... scare the dickens out of me.

Each time I say, this is the year, then I go and meekly stand in the taxi line and pay for my 15 minute trip - 10 minutes stting in traffic and 5 minutes driving - by taxi.:o

I love it!

We haven't been telling them about the park in front of the station where all the boogiemen hide out.....so bring a big stick to fend them off.;)

I love it!

We haven't been telling them about the park in front of the station where all the boogiemen hide out.....so bring a big stick to fend them off.;)

There's a park on the other side of all those speeding cars?:p

Umm, you don't have to cross Main. There's an entrance on the Pacific Station side of Main that takes you up to the skytrain platform. Main St Skytrain station has a ticket machine at the platform level. 5 stops later you're at "Waterfront". Exit the train, turn left, up one escalator, turn right, up another and you should see cruise ships at your 12o'clock maybe 150 yards ahead (less than a boatlength)

Yes, I ride skytrain every day..

My DH and I are sailing on the Radiance in July. I checked the port schedule and see that we are sailing from the Ballantyne peir. From what I have read here, a taxi is the best way to get to the peir. How easy is it to find a taxi at the train station? Some places I have travelled taxi's are waiting, others places you can't find one anywhere.

My DH and I are sailing on the Radiance in July. I checked the port schedule and see that we are sailing from the Ballantyne peir. From what I have read here, a taxi is the best way to get to the peir. How easy is it to find a taxi at the train station? Some places I have travelled taxi's are waiting, others places you can't find one anywhere.

Regrettably, cab is really your only alternative to get to Ballantyne, likely a $10 to $12 trip. There are normally cabs at the station but the cab situation in Vancouver is thin at the best of times but really gets stretched during cruise season...so you may have to wait a while.

we are also wondering re getting to the ship from the train. also, should we expect any problem getting the 11:45 bus back to Seattle? Unfortunately must get back to Florida as quick as I can.

May arrive a few days early and stay and tour Vancouver, but would like info in case we stay in Seattle until the day of the cruise.

Putterdude or ScottBee,

Does the ticket machine take american dollars also or should I get canadian money to pay for the train, stupid question but do not like surprises when I get there.

The SkyTrain ticket machine doesn't take USD, but it does take credit cards.

Also, at Main Street SkyTrain station there is a VanCity ATM machine on the opposite end of the station from the VIA station at ground level. They don't charge extra for other bank's cards, although your own bank might have a transaction fee. You can get Canadian $ there, too.

Archived