Hawaii to Vancouver Cruise anyone done it?

Considering the fly to Hawaii cruise back program....got a few questions, though.

1. How are the seas heading west?

2. Are 4-6 sea days in a row a bit much with nothing to see but....sea?

3. Which cruise line offers the best package for this type of trip

thanks in advance....

Steve

We did this trip (VOS, May 99). Loved the days in the islands before we headed out. The seas were not at all rough - never really noticed them but I guess it depends on the weather. The first 2 days after leaving Hawaii we could use the outdoor pool but after that it got too cold. The covered pool worked well for the next day or so.

We didn't have any problem filling the days at sea. We were ashore every day until we left Hawaii so some time to relax was good. There was plenty of events on board to keep us occupied. Of course this depends on you - I know some people would rather avoid sea days (but not us obviously!)

Back in '99 the VOS was not very full - probably about 2/3's. And this type of trip certainly eliminated most of the families.

Good luck!

--- Andrew

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;1;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Navigator 5/1/04

We've done it both ways--Acapulco to Hawaii, and Hawaii to Vancouver. Hawaii to Vancouver was COLD once you were at sea. We lived in the inside pool, and couldn't even do our walks outside every day--wind, and cold. We did love the sea days however, just be aware that you need a ship with an indoor pool or you will have nothing to do poolside. We were on the Dawn Princess a few years back Acapulco to Vancouver, and out of LA was miserably cold. No indoor pool, not lots of activities. I think RCI does a much better job of this. That being said, we just booked a 15 day RT LA-Hawaii-LA for next March. It should be warm for all of our sea days--8--and we will love them!

Sorry, the one we booked next March is Princess, the other 2 we did were RCI. We never get bored at sea..very relaxing. We prefer the sea days at the end of the trip, that way you are tired from renting cars and running all over Hawaii and can chill out....(but I'd rather not chill on the way to Vancouver!)--I do live in Az so maybe I am overly sensitive to the cold.

I agree with dobie - it got a bit colder a couple of days after leaving Hawaii. The outdoor pool was closed the last 3-4 days and we didn't sit around outside a lot. But then again, we're from Canada, not Arizona - so maybe we're more used to the colder temperatures! A covered pool is a must.

--- Andrew

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;1;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Navigator 5/1/04

We did the reverse itinerary in 2001, and overall it was a favorite cruise. With RCI there is so much to do on the Radiance class ships I can't imagine being bored. They have a rock wall, and putt putt, and all of the standard things, and they have the solarium pool. I really like the sea days because you have the oppurtunity to really get to explore these amazing ships.

jc

• 5 years later...

We did RT from LA to Hawaii on Princess back in 2/05. Out of 15 days we had 11 at sea, 5 to Hawaii and 6 back. Extra day back due to a storm so we missed Maui. Way to many sea days if you ask me. Since you would be going one way it shouldn't be too bad. The seas were great going over but terribly rough on the way back, even the crew got sick. I'd do it again though since that's the only way I'll get there...DH won't fly :(

We did this cruise in 1998 on Rhapsody of the Seas and it was one of our favorite cruises. We enjoy days at sea and there was plenty to keep us occupied during that time. Entertainment on the ship was excellent (Frankie Avalon, Joanne Worley) and while it did get chilly and a bit rough as we approached the West Coast, it was not a serious problem unless you wanted to walk or jog outside on the upper deck in the afternoon;). Ending our trip in Vancouver was a wonderful way to conclude a great trip, and we wisely spent a few days there before heading back home. Only thing we didn't enjoy about the entire trip was our flight itinerary which took us from Boston to Honolulu via Dallas on a totally full plane.:( If you take this trip, I strongly recommend adding a few days in Vancouver/Victoria at the end of your cruise.

We've done R/T Hawaii on Radiance once from San Pedro (14 day in 2006) and once from San Diego (15 day in 2008). Both were done in the month of September and the seas cooperated nicely. It was two of our most favorite cruises.

The weather is cool the first three days after you leave the mainland but as you near the islands, it is beautiful. Coming back is the same.........the closer you get to the mainland, the cooler it becomes.

Sea days were no problem as there is always something to do........it's just the most relaxing way to cruise.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like RCI will be doing any R/T cruises to Hawaii in the near future......we are so glad we went when we did.

We've done R/T Hawaii on Radiance once from San Pedro (14 day in 2006) and once from San Diego (15 day in 2008). Both were done in the month of September and the seas cooperated nicely. It was two of our most favorite cruises.

The weather is cool the first three days after you leave the mainland but as you near the islands, it is beautiful. Coming back is the same.........the closer you get to the mainland, the cooler it becomes.

Sea days were no problem as there is always something to do........it's just the most relaxing way to cruise.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like RCI will be doing any R/T cruises to Hawaii in the near future......we are so glad we went when we did.

she's beautiful..................you must be overjoyed. Enjoy Grandparenthood.

Patti-

Was the sail date ofyour Hawaii trip on the Radiance out of San Pedro on 9/23/06? If so, I guess we have cruised together on at least 1 trip!

We're also sorry to see that the Hawaii itinerary seems to have been put on hold for awhile for RCCL. Any idea why?

-Jacki

Imagine my surprise when I opened CC today and saw a thread I started over 5 years ago!

A lot of water has cleared the stern since then.....

Been on 7 cruises since then including a 15-night RT to Hawaii last October on Radiance.

It was a fantastic cruise!....just the right mix of sea days and port days...great crew, OK food, lots to do......good weather..

As some of you have mentioned....I sure wish RCCL would re-establish the 15 night RT....we'd be ready to go in 2011.....

Happy Sails to Y'all!

Steve O, just like 5 years ago, this was a thread I opened. I generally open about 1 or 2 on the first page. So, I was laughing when I saw my reply from 5 years ago. You can suck me in on this topic every time!

That said, the roundtrip doesn't interest me that much. I really liked the longer time in Hawaii, that you can do by staying before or after the cruise. Some of the other lines offer the trip as a roundtrip, but I don't want that, I want to go to Hawaii and stay there more than 5 or 6 days.

jc

Imagine my surprise when I opened CC today and saw a thread I started over 5 years ago!

A lot of water has cleared the stern since then.....

Been on 7 cruises since then including a 15-night RT to Hawaii last October on Radiance.

QUOTE]

WOW! Didn't even notice the date of the original post. I guess the same topics are of interest today. Glad you finally did the cruise.

she's beautiful..................you must be overjoyed. Enjoy Grandparenthood.

Thank you..........yes, we are ready to spoil her rotten.:p

Patti-

Was the sail date ofyour Hawaii trip on the Radiance out of San Pedro on 9/23/06? If so, I guess we have cruised together on at least 1 trip!

We're also sorry to see that the Hawaii itinerary seems to have been put on hold for awhile for RCCL. Any idea why?

-Jacki

Yep, that's the one we were on. Our roll call was The Happy CocoNUTS. We actually combined the Hawaii R/T with the PC cruise that followed and spent 29 days on board. It was wonderful. You may have seen us playing cards outside the WJ on sea days. We took two long tables and put them together every morning around 10. I must say, we did get slightly vocal at times.:o I'm sorry that we didn't get to meet on that cruise.

From what we have been told by staff on Radiance, it's all about cost. I know it's not because they were unpopular, as they were always sold out.

BTW.........I see you are from the Cleveland area. We are practically neighbors as we live just east of Cleveland in Lake County.

Considering the fly to Hawaii cruise back program....got a few questions, though.

1. How are the seas heading west?

2. Are 4-6 sea days in a row a bit much with nothing to see but....sea?

3. Which cruise line offers the best package for this type of trip

thanks in advance....

Steve

We did this one in May 2008 . . . . If you like sun and warmth I wouldn't recommend it . . . we froze during the sea days and played a lot of bingo as there wasn't much else to do inside.

Also please know that there are very FEW taxis in Vancouver so arrange for a shuttle ahead of time or you may miss your flight!

Archived