Best Copenhagen sights for one day

llund

I have been reading all the threads on Copenhagen and the more I read the more confused I seem to get. We will be there from 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. I know what I would like to see but don't think it will be possible to do it all in one day since most places don't open until 10. I would like to visit Amalienborg Palace, Rosenborg Castle, Christianborg Palace, The Round Tower, Tivoli Gardens and a canal cruise.

Both Chirstianborg and Amalienborg have their English tours at 11:00, 1:00, and 3:00. If I can only go to one of these Palaces, what would you recommend? Also, is Tivoli worth if if we are only there for an hour to see the park (not interested in the rides)? I have to give up some of the sights but don't know what to give up so I am looking for suggestions. Should we definitely do a canal cruise?

Christiansborg is were the governtment is located and Amalienborg is the house of the royal family so both places are interesting.

But on Amalienborg you can only see a small part of the castle because the rest of the castle is were the queen are living.

The Castle is divided into 4 buildings and the museum is located in one of them.

Tivoli s best seen in the evening where the lights is on full display.

I have been given so many different answers to this question so as you live in Copenhagen perhaps I'll get some accurate information this time!!!

We are in Copenhagen for a day so will need to buy souvenirs:confused:, lunch & maybe pay for buses & admission charges. Can we use euros or will be need local currency?

Many thanks.

I have been reading all the threads on Copenhagen and the more I read the more confused I seem to get. We will be there from 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. I know what I would like to see but don't think it will be possible to do it all in one day since most places don't open until 10. I would like to visit Amalienborg Palace, Rosenborg Castle, Christianborg Palace, The Round Tower, Tivoli Gardens and a canal cruise.

Both Chirstianborg and Amalienborg have their English tours at 11:00, 1:00, and 3:00. If I can only go to one of these Palaces, what would you recommend? Also, is Tivoli worth if if we are only there for an hour to see the park (not interested in the rides)? I have to give up some of the sights but don't know what to give up so I am looking for suggestions. Should we definitely do a canal cruise?

Here's what the visitcopenhagen.com website recommends as its Top 10:

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com:80/tourist/what_to_see_and_do/inspiration/top_10_sights

Unfortunately, I want to see it all and I don't have the time to see everything. I am thinking about going to Rosenborg Castle (which opens at 10), head over to the round tower and then to Tivoli. If there is time, maybe taking a canal cruise. But, I will probably miss seeing the inside of Chirstianborg and Amalienborg Palaces. Or, should I skip one of the sights and go to either Chistiansborg or Amalienborg? I will probably only have time to visit the top 3 sights and just see the rest from the outside.

Here's my recommendations for top 11 things to do in Copenhagen, they are in no particular order:

Nyhavn (Cafe along Nyhavn for drinks, people watching, or a bite to eat)

Shopping: Walk the pedestrain shopping street Strøget, especially Illiums Bolighus Store. Check out the Danish modern design.

Tivoli (in evening when lights are on, and for dinner)

Round Tower

Canal Cruise

Rosenborg Castle (don't forget the Crown Jewels here)

Amalienborg Palace (only if you can be there at noon for changing of guard)

Christainborg Palace (tour in English)

Sample Danish foods, openface sandwiches, & especially the pasteries

The National Museum

The Little Mermaid: Can be seen from a canal cruise, or hop on hop off bus

That sounds great swdke but-unfortunately-our ship is only there from 8 A.M. until 6 P.M. So I won't be able to go to Tivoli for dinner and see the lights. English tours at Christianborg and Amalienborg are at 11:00, 1:00 and 3:00. Our ship docks just north of the Little Mermaid so I think we may be able to just walk there.

We had wanted to do a tour of Rosenborg Castle last year, but the main floors were under restoration - only the crown jewels and some bedrooms were open to the public - so that made our decision easier!!!

We walked along to see little mermaid, Gefion fountain, the marble Church (right by Amalienborg Palace) , Amalienborg Palace (no tour) and we got to Christianborg Palace by the 11;00 a.m. English tour - loved it!!! The Gobelin tapestries were amazing!!!!

We then walked over to Nyhavn - took a canal tour (we could have gotten it right by Christianborg!!) spent some time in Nyhavn, went down to the City Hall , did not go into Tivoli (will save that for another time as an evening visit) - and then walked up the Stroget, window shopping!!!

On this trip we saw the crown jewels and changing of the guard in both London and Stockholm - so did not mind passing it up in Copenhagen..

In addition, Richard Karpen does walking tours - morning ones take different directions...but he has an afternoon one that tours Rosenborg Castle.....

http://www.copenhagenwalks.com/1024x768/default.htm

CJcruzer

Llund - if you are not really interested in the rides in Tivoli, then I would say that you are much better off going for the Canal Cruise - your walk from the ship past the mermaid and then round the palace will take you to Nyhavn - a nice way to have a sit down and get a good overview of Copenhagen, before setting off down Stroeget (?SP) where I bought a lovely Danish pastry for my lunch. I would have loved the round tower but weather was not brilliant, and my kids were all for going off to Tivoli. They loved it, but it was all about the rides.

I'll confuse you more...

First, DEFINITELY do a Canal Boat tour...

We thought Tivoli was overrated...even the rides are sort of cheesy...It was crowded and difficult...especially if you are not there at night, why waste the time?

Richard Karpen gives great tours...

We also loved the Glyptotek Museum...

You do want to stop at Nyhavn, even if just for a photo...

And a stroll down the Stroget...

Good luck...

@ llund.

Yes if you can be there at noon to see the changing of the guard, Amalienborg is just a short walk from Nyhavn nd the canal tours.

But there are more public spaces on Rosenborg becausen it it like a huge museum and the Amalienborg museum is just a small part of the Castle.

Everytime I read more posts, I change my mind. The city seems very walkable to me and I was planning to walk from sight to sight. Is the Round tower worth the climb? I guess Tivoli isn't the best unless we see it at night. However, I know others who loved Tivoli and the gardens even in the day. I am not really interested in the rides. Wish I can just go in, take a quick look and leave. That is what I was planning to do if it was still included on the Copenhagen card. Looks like a Canal cruise is a definite and I do want to have a drink in Nyhaven. I will check ou the Glyptotak museum. If I am at Amalienborg at noon, I will see the changing of the guard but think I may go to Rosenborg castle. Thanks everyone for your input!

• 1 month later...

we will be in Copenhagen in July on the Jewel of the Seas. My husband uses a mobility scooter. If we do a canal tour does it return back to the same spot? I don't know if we can leave the scooter when we get on the boat and then come back to it, do you know if this is possible?

Thanks so much

Annette

we will be in Copenhagen in July on the Jewel of the Seas. My husband uses a mobility scooter. If we do a canal tour does it return back to the same spot? I don't know if we can leave the scooter when we get on the boat and then come back to it, do you know if this is possible?

Thanks so much

Annette

ab1881, I can tell you that yes, the canal tours return to the same location where the tour began.

Steve

I am another confused one... it seems like there are so many things to do and not enough time.

I definitely want to see one of either Amalienborg, Christianborg, or Rosenborg. Amalienborg is the queen's residence, is it worth seeing or is it just a few rooms that are open to the public. The tapestries in Christianborg sound amazing but is that all there is?

I think it would be nice to go to Tivoli Gardens at night, but we are not interested in the rides, and the admission price seems kind of expensive just to walk around and not really do anything. Is it worth it?

I am not too thrilled about the Princess tour offerings. I wish there was one that combined at least two of the palaces I want to see.

• 3 weeks later...
Following up to see if anyone had any opinions on whether Amalienborg or Christianborg is more of a "must see".

I'd recommend Amalienborg if you can see the changing of the guard. Christainborg is good for the Royal Chambers tour, but only if you can be there when the English tour is conducted. Don't forget Rosenborg which you can walk into and see the Crown Jewels, that would be a good destination. Also, walking alon Ny Havn is good, especially if you can stop for a drink or snack and people watch. Canal tour is also highly recommened. Of course, you should walk down Stroget too. Round tower is interesting too.

I'd recommend Amalienborg if you can see the changing of the guard. Christainborg is good for the Royal Chambers tour, but only if you can be there when the English tour is conducted. Don't forget Rosenborg which you can walk into and see the Crown Jewels, that would be a good destination. Also, walking alon Ny Havn is good, especially if you can stop for a drink or snack and people watch. Canal tour is also highly recommened. Of course, you should walk down Stroget too. Round tower is interesting too.

Copenhagen is indeed wonderful. It’s a very easy port to do on your own, especially if you dock at Langelinie Pier. We disembarked at 8:15am and walked into the city along Langelinie Promenade, past Little Mermaid, Gelfion Fountain & Amaliehaven Gardens. It was too early for the Changing of the Guard at Amalienborg, so we visited the nearby Marble Church. Very impressive! From there, we walked past Nyhavn to Rosenborg Castle, where we toured the Palace and the Treasury with crown jewels. We also wandered through the lovely King’s Gardens. From Rosenborg we walked a very short distance to the Round Tower and made the easy climb for spectacular views. Our plan was to try the much-touted hot dogs from the street vendors at Radhuspladsen so we walked down Stroget until we reached the Square. It was Saturday and the place was hopping. We were unimpressed with the dogs, but the setting with Tivoli Gardens as the backdrop was magic. After lunch, we popped into City Hall to see its famous clock. Then we slowly walked back along Stroget, window shopping as we went. We stopped at La Glace and had the most delicious (and most expensive) milkshake ever. We continued along Stroget until we reached Nyhavn where we caught a one-hour canal tour. This was a most delightful way to wrap up a fabulous day. Copenhagen was our fave port (after St. Petersburg which is in a class by itself for being over-the-top). A huge thanks for all the helpful advice on what's best to see in Copenhagen.

MightyQuinn, your tour in Copenhagen was exactly what I planned to do in August when we are there! It is nice to know that it is a feasible plan and that it can be done. I am so glad you posted your day in Copenhagen!

Archived