Ship's Shuttle Buses in Asia

Miss Jolly

When cruising through Europe for 2 months with HAL last year, we often found that it was more cost and time effective for our family of 4 to hire a taxi from the port into town than it was to pay and wait for HAL's shuttle buses.

We are booked on Diamond Princess for next year's cruise from Bangkok to Beijing :D including stops at Singapore, Vung Tau (for Ho Chi Minh Cuty), Nha Trang, Hong Kong, Keelung (for Taipei), Okinawa, Shanghai and Nagasaki. I would appreciate any information and tips re travelling into the cities please. (We again will have our family of 4 which includes two teens)

Thank you.

Jennie

Hi from Hong Kong.

As for Hong Kong, the Diamond Princess should berth at the container terminal in Kwai Chung and Princess should arrange coaches to city centre. Their usual practice is to take passengers to Harbour City Shopping Mall in Tsim Sha Tsui, and it takes around 30 minutes.

The Harbour City is right at the heart of Kowloon and is right next to the Star Ferry Terminal. The Ocean Terminal which other cruise ships berth is part of the Harbour City complex.

The Harbour City is a 5-10 minute walk from a nearby subway (MTR) station. And as I mentioned the Harbour City is next to the famous Star Ferry pier so you can take a ferry ride to Hong Kong Island.

countdown.pl?name=Andy Ku&date=5-17-2008&image=alaska&text=&ship=Sapphire Princess

It really depends upon what they charge - I've had both free shuttles and those they have charged a minimal fee, like $5 pp. I believe the Nha Trang bus was $5, I'm sure that there might be a higher fee for Saigon as it's a farther distance from the dock.

Nagasaki, the shuttle was free, but we'd had bad weather and a shortened port call, so we just grabbed a tour instead (make sure in Japan that you have yen as they will take nothing else), Vietnam, China, Singapore and Hong Kong will take USD in most cases.

We did this trip on the Pacific Princess and if you'd like to read our travel diary, drop me an e mail at charliekirby@comcast.com and I'll be happy to share it with you.

Charlie

When cruising through Europe for 2 months with HAL last year, we often found that it was more cost and time effective for our family of 4 to hire a taxi from the port into town than it was to pay and wait for HAL's shuttle buses.

We are booked on Diamond Princess for next year's cruise from Bangkok to Beijing :D including stops at Singapore, Vung Tau (for Ho Chi Minh Cuty), Nha Trang, Hong Kong, Keelung (for Taipei), Okinawa, Shanghai and Nagasaki. I would appreciate any information and tips re travelling into the cities please. (We again will have our family of 4 which includes two teens)

Thank you.

Jennie

We did this trip last year. We took the ship's transfers from Bangkok and into Beijing because of the long distance. We did not price taxi fares but my guess is it would be quite expensive. If you are going to Bangkok several days early (highly recommended) you will probably have to go back to the airport to get on the cruise shuttle the day of the cruise. Our hotel in Bangkok arranged to meet us at the airport and transfer us to the hotel and back to the airport on embarkation day. If you are staying over in Beijing (again recommended) our hotel arranged transportation from the pier into Beijing at a reasonable price. Cannot tell you anything about Okinawa, Keelung, Nha Trang, or Vung Tau. We were not able to get into any of those because of two typhoons in the area.

We did this trip last year. We took the ship's transfers from Bangkok and into Beijing because of the long distance. We did not price taxi fares but my guess is it would be quite expensive. If you are going to Bangkok several days early (highly recommended) you will probably have to go back to the airport to get on the cruise shuttle the day of the cruise. Our hotel in Bangkok arranged to meet us at the airport and transfer us to the hotel and back to the airport on embarkation day. If you are staying over in Beijing (again recommended) our hotel arranged transportation from the pier into Beijing at a reasonable price. Cannot tell you anything about Okinawa, Keelung, Nha Trang, or Vung Tau. We were not able to get into any of those because of two typhoons in the area.

Thank you for your help. May I please ask "What time of year did you travel and which hotels did you stay at "?

It really depends upon what they charge - I've had both free shuttles and those they have charged a minimal fee, like $5 pp. I believe the Nha Trang bus was $5, I'm sure that there might be a higher fee for Saigon as it's a farther distance from the dock.

Nagasaki, the shuttle was free, but we'd had bad weather and a shortened port call, so we just grabbed a tour instead (make sure in Japan that you have yen as they will take nothing else), Vietnam, China, Singapore and Hong Kong will take USD in most cases.

We did this trip on the Pacific Princess and if you'd like to read our travel diary, drop me an e mail at charliekirby@comcast.com and I'll be happy to share it with you.

Charlie

My email to you just bounced back, Charlie.:confused: I would love a copy of your travel diary please. My email is jennie1@exemail.com.au

Thank you.

Jennie

Archived