Tips on getting through the Atlanta airport...

abpmillsww

We are flying a week from Sunday into Atlanta to catch our flight headed to San Juan. I'm nervous because we will have 50 minutes between our flights.

We can't change it for financial reasons ($140+) but can you please give me advice on navigating through the Atlanta airport in a quick manner?

I'll take all the advice I can get since it has been years since I traveled through Atlanta.

Thanks, Angela

The good news is that you will not need to go through security again in the Atlanta airport (which is a good thing because waiting times there are some of the longest in the country).

There is an subway that takes you between the various terminals. The escalators and elevators for it are in the center of each terminal.

If you tells us your flights, someone here can probably tell you which terminal(s) they use so you can have a better idea of the dash you need to make.

50 minutes is fine if and only if your arriving flight is on time. If not, pray to the Airline Goddess (unless she has already filed for bankruptcy) that your second flight is a bit late.

Paul

There is one "unknown" trick (even DL agents aren't all aware of it) at ATL that may be appropriate. Between the north ends of the B and C concourses (the high numbered gates), there is tunnel with a moving walkway. If your flights are in those two ends of those concourses, it is much faster than walking to the center, taking the train, and then walking out to the end of the other concourse. It is mostly DL Connection flights from the "high" end of C -- you can check your gates at delta.com the day before your flights.

This is the only "shortcut" between concourses at ATL....all the others require using the train (or the walkway/moving belts that run alongside the train path).

Flyer, the moving sidewalk must be new. I used to work on Concourse C and never knew anything about that! Be careful using the gate info on the website, gate changes occur often, so check with the gate agent upon deplaning if connection info wasn't given on approach.

Our worse connection in Atlanta was arriving on the International Concourse "E" and having to go all the way to Concourse "T", we made it just in time since we also had to collect luggage and go through customs.

Let's just hope that your connection is on the same concourse and flights are on time!

You know...I might have my airports confused with that tunnel....haven't used it in a few years. It may very well have no moving belt -- but still was faster than the walk to the center of the concourse, down the escalator, take the train, up the escalator and out to the gate. Forgive my error -- sometimes it blurs together.

I may be heading through ATL on a MR in the next few weeks -- I have a voucher to burn (forgot about it) and a combo NW/DL itin looks promising. If so, I'll report back.

Glad to know that I haven't gone completely goofy....

Week after next, I get to go through SEA, MSP, DTW, FLL, PIT, MEM, and LAX. Gotta keep them all straight. This coming week is easy - only SEA, PDX and PHX (for the Freddies).

Detroit also has a tunnel with a moving walkway that goes between Concouse A & B/C. There is an escalator, & there is a train in Concourse A. It also has music & colors on the walls that change as you go through the tunnel.

Gail

We are flying a week from Sunday into Atlanta to catch our flight headed to San Juan. I'm nervous because we will have 50 minutes between our flights.

We can't change it for financial reasons ($140+) but can you please give me advice on navigating through the Atlanta airport in a quick manner?

I'll take all the advice I can get since it has been years since I traveled through Atlanta.

Thanks, Angela

The Atlanta Delta terminal is huge spreading out over many seperate wings. If your plane is on time 50' is plenty. If it is delayed chances are outgoing would to and thus as a hub with many other connecting passengers a few tens of minutes slip and you'll be fine.

But if only your specific flight is running late, pray to the airline gods and run as the airport is huge and it can take a good 30' worst case from touchdown to go from one end of Delta to the other with carry on and kids.

If your flight is running late, you can always ask the flight attendant to let the gate attendants know & sometimes they will wait for you. The flight attendant may also be able to help with directions from one gate to another.

Archived