Need help with cancelled hc suite - Carnival

rd0127

We booked our suite and 3 other cabins over a year ago. Our youngest daughter who is severely disabled (age 22), my husband and myself reserved a handicapped suite. My daughter is in a wheelchair all of the time and we wanted a sofa in the room for her to be able to sit on at times and get out of her chair. Plus since she is disabled we would be spending more time in our cabin than most people and wanted plenty of room to move around.

Tonight I get a message on my voicemail that Carnival is refurbishing all of the suites on our cruise and we need to be moved to a cabin with a window. Our cruise sails on May 24th!!!! I cannot believe they are just know telling me this. They had to have known for months! We are driving to Mobile and we live in Birmingham. The only other port within driving distance is N.O. and they do have a similar cruise on May 26th, but I have no idea if they could switch all 4 cabins to this cruise and guarantee me a handicapped suite on top of that.

So my question is, before I return their call in the morning what do I need to know? Please help me. I don't want to cancel on the rest of our extended family, but I am so disheartened and just plain MAD.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

I hope you can get this resolved easily.

A couple of things to question:

1. Are they moving you to a handicap accessible cabin?

2. Will it actually hold 3 people?

3. Is there a sofa or an overstuff chair? Does this make into a bed?

4. What happens if you change your cruise date, will they honor your pricing (if new cruise is higher)?

We cruised on the Carnival Spirit. The original reservation for my BIL and family was for a mini-suite. He relied on a scooter, but could walk and stand some. He became completely disabled before our cruise and when we called about getting a handicap cabin was told that the spirit class ships DO NOT have handicap cabins for 3 people only for 2. I realize this is not fleet wide, but I was shocked that no cabins that were HA cabins would hold 3. Consequently, they had to cancel the cruise. The only way it would of worked was to book 2 cabins ... 1 for HA, 1 for wife and son. Not a great situation.

One of the items that has come on the RCCL board is that when they have a suite that is HA and for 3 people that they take the sofa out and put in a chair that makes into a twin bed.

When our friends travel with us on Princess, they needed a HA cabin. They got an oceanview one. The cabin was HUGE, but the only chairs in it were two chair that fit by the vanity --- like dining room chairs. So to relax in their cabin, they sat on the bed with pillows behind them. They loved the cabin and spent a lot of time up on deck, in the lounges etc.

I agree, I'm surprised you weren't notified earlier. Let us know what happens.

Thank you so much for your replies. It took most of the morning yesterday working with rep. from Carnival, but we have finally got it worked out.

There were no HC suites available on the Fantasy. So we ended up with a HC cabin with a window on the Holiday. This will be the same as our original cruise, just not a suite and no sofa. They gave us a deep discount on the cost of a regular cabin and refunded all of the difference. They also gave us a $200.00 on board ship credit. They also bumped my mom & son up to a cabin with a window (they had inside cabins up until this point). I am still very disappointed that we won't have the room to move around that we would have had with a suite. My daughters wheelchair is pretty big, so it will be a bit tight, but I am trying to stay positive. We also needed the sofa to give her additional seating (she can't sit in a chair), but we will manage.

Apparently, the cruise passengers who have stayed in the suites the past few sailing have been complaining about plumbing. Carnival went in and evaluated the situation and decided that it needed to be worked on immediately. All of the suites on the ship are under renovation for 2 weeks starting the week of our cruise. :(

As I stated earlier, I am still disappointed, my older daughter (not the disabled one) is furious with me for agreeing to the above deal. She felt like they should have done more.

Again, thank you all so much for your help!

I will post when we get back and let you know how it goes.

Archived