Regent vs. Seabourn???

ladymadeline

I will say, though, I wish they would fix the bathroom door so it would stay open during "ocean motion". The door banged me in the side during some rough weather on the spring crossing on Pride. It hurt!

I know! That's why I always close the door.

Marja

I regret ever commenting about how/where a bathroom door opens. Sure, it's not important to you, but my husband is legally blind, so it does matter to us. Aren't you glad you don't have to worry about "trivial" things like that!

I regret ever commenting about how/where a bathroom door opens. Sure, it's not important to you, but my husband is legally blind, so it does matter to us. Aren't you glad you don't have to worry about "trivial" things like that!

I'm sorry to hear your husband is legally blind. I'm sorry too that I don't quite understand what "legally" blind means, I will have to find out.

Why didn't you mention this in the first place? People would have reacted differently, because here on the Seabourn board we CARE about people. OK we might joke a little, but never about serious matters. And regarding worrying about "trivial" things, do you have any idea at all what might be going on in my mind for instance? Don't jump to conclusions. That same toilet is crucial to me too and I can find everything there in the dark!

Marja

Just reviewed the thread by wripro on April 27 and realize he/she used the word "minor", not "trivial" things to worry about. Legally blind in my husband's case means he can't read, drive, see the telephone numbers, etc., any number of things, but the good news is he still wants to travel. It just means I have so much more to do than ten years ago before the stroke and macular degeneration. Thank you for your comments. I wasn't looking for sympathy from anyone, just understanding that different cruisers have different needs.

Just reviewed the thread by wripro on April 27 and realize he/she used the word "minor", not "trivial" things to worry about. Legally blind in my husband's case means he can't read, drive, see the telephone numbers, etc., any number of things, but the good news is he still wants to travel. It just means I have so much more to do than ten years ago before the stroke and macular degeneration. Thank you for your comments. I wasn't looking for sympathy from anyone, just understanding that different cruisers have different needs.

There is nothing wrong in giving or receiving sympathy. As a matter of fact here on CruiseCritic and especially this Seabourn Board I can say I've received a lot of sympathy in the recent past and that really was a great support to me and still is.

I want you to know that Seabourn and the crew will do almost anything for you to help you make your cruise a wonderful time. Just ask if you need any assistance or attention (if they don't notice already).

Have a great cruise!

Marja

Yes, in context, our comments would have been different. Sorry.:o

You would be amazed at some concerns: beds being 1/2" too narrow, if a particular diet soda is available, etc. While these are truly important to those individuals, in the overall "which cruise do I take" decision I cannot fathom how a lack of Fresca is going to sway one to X or Y. But I digress...

You should be aware that there are a few suites available for physically challenged guests. You may find them worth looking into as ease of access seems to be an issue.

>"You should be aware that there are a few suites available for physically challenged guests. You may find them worth looking into as ease of access seems to be an issue."

On Seabourn, AFAIK, the suites designated as 'wheelchair' accessible are only different as they provide a walk-in shower instead of a tub. The other parameters are the same as in any suite, outiside of the 'big' ones. I have never found any other differences.

Perhaps these suites will be different on the Odyssey?

Mahogany,

This October my husband bought my recently widowed sister, who is having a special birthday, her first trip on Seabourn for her celebration. Of course I am going too. She too, is legally blind and in thinking through her adaptations to the cruise there is one item that I will need to be aware of. When boarding or disembarking the tenders, I would suggest telling the tender crew prior to each transfer of the vision disability so they may be extra cautious. On board the ship they will pamper and care for you and your husband as they do all other guests. Actually, the suite layout should be of no hinderance. The bathroom door does open out as mentioned but in no way will impede mobility. Enjoy your trip as I know we will ours. I can't wait to see how she feels about Seabourn after her first trip. Her son is taking her on the Eurodam in July and that too should be a great experience for her.

>"Actually, the suite layout should be of no hinderance"

One thing that will improve access, as our Martita first suggested, is to move the chair from the vanity/desk area to another part of the suite and replace it with one of the stools from the table. Then it can be pushed under and be completely out of the way.

Also, the tender crew are fabulous and once informed, will handle your husband/sister/anyone else with extra special kid gloves and deftness.

I have not stayed in the physically challenged suites, but Seabourn advises that there are grab bars and wider doors. If that were not the case there would be essentially no difference from the shower only suites. Anyone with personal experience in those suites?

I have not stayed in the physically challenged suites, but Seabourn advises that there are grab bars and wider doors. If that were not the case there would be essentially no difference from the shower only suites. Anyone with personal experience in those suites?

I routinely stay in them and yes, there are grab bars in the shower. There is still a lip at the entrance of the bathroom. The doors certainly don't seem wider in comparison to ther 'handicapped' doors that I have seen in the hosptial, my clinic, etc. I think it would be tight; an oversized wheelchair would not fit. That being said, there are cruisers in wheelchairs and I don't know if they all were in the King Olav suite as some definitely have been. I know I see some wheelchairs outside the suites. And, it is tight between the bed and the vanity/desk even with the 'configuration a la Martita'.

I routinely stay in them and yes, there are grab bars in the shower. There is still a lip at the entrance of the bathroom. The doors certainly don't seem wider in comparison to ther 'handicapped' doors that I have seen in the hosptial, my clinic, etc. I think it would be tight; an oversized wheelchair would not fit. That being said, there are cruisers in wheelchairs and I don't know if they all were in the King Olav suite as some definitely have been. I know I see some wheelchairs outside the suites. And, it is tight between the bed and the vanity/desk even with the 'configuration a la Martita'.

You are a real help to people Jane and we all know travel is difficult for many without consideration:)

I apologize if my comments were out of order, but I had no idea there was a handicap involved. If you had said so in your initial post reactions would have been different. You would be surprised how many "minor" topics are ballooned out of proportion by non handicapped people. If you really want accurate answers to your concerns why not have your TA contact Seabourn directly with all questions.

>" If you really want accurate answers to your concerns why not have your TA contact Seabourn directly with all questions."

That is a good plan, and Seabourn Customer Service is very helpful and acommodating. Also, I think most here can provide advice to questions, whether related to personal parameters or general cruise issues. After all, we enjoy sharing all of our experiences.

Archived