Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dennbr9

Jsut Back From Tahitian Princess -any ?

Just returned home last night from our 4-8 to 4-18 Cruise on the Tahitian Princess (TA). SPECTACULAR! is the one word that comes to mind. Will post full review in the next few days, but thought I would touch base here first.

Flights long, but ATN does a great job. Did have less leg room on return flight though- not fun for someone 6'3". Get to airport before ships buses to help avoid long lines!

Tahitian Princess was great. Food was above normal Princess fare, service was great ( can depend on Server though of course), crew were very friendly and helpful too.

Everything in Polynesia is expensive except fruit, beer and flowers. T Shirts tended to run $35-$45 each for a good quality one and food and drink prices at most restaurants were very high. Be prepared. If you stay at one of the Resorts in Tahiti etc, such as the ICH you can plan on $200 -$300+ a day for meals. The hot breakfast buffet was $50 pp. A nice dinner for two will hit you $200 plus depending on drinks. Poisson Cru there was not a bad deal and was delicious, had it for lunch one day and it was great!

Marc's Snorkel, Pearl Farm, and Motu Picnic in Huahine was the highlight for sure, and was a steal at $100pp for a six hour excursion. Would strongly suggest it to anyone. Damien on Bora Bora also does a wonderful Circle Island Tour and was very informative regarding the Islands. Big advantage of independent tours is smaller gorups.

Would also suggest you arrange for Avis Car ahead of time on Moorea as many I spoke to were unable to get one on shore. The Air Conditioner is a plus over some of the other dune buggy type vehicle options.

We had a great CC Group on our Roll Call, 9 of us sat together, many of us toured together, and 16 of us showed up for a Sail Away Party on deck too. Just a great goup of people to spend time with.

If you have any questions, let me know and I would be happy to give you my humble opinion.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Just spotted you post so I'll add a few more questions. Does Princess provide the shuttle that picks up passengers from and to the hotels? Our TA has booked us on a shuttle.

Do you have a contact for Damien on Bora Bora?

Thanks again,

Kinka

By the way, I love your beer quote.

Just returned home last night from our 4-8 to 4-18 Cruise on the Tahitian Princess (TA). SPECTACULAR! is the one word that comes to mind. Will post full review in the next few days, but thought I would touch base here first.

Flights long, but ATN does a great job. Did have less leg room on return flight though- not fun for someone 6'3". Get to airport before ships buses to help avoid long lines!

Tahitian Princess was great. Food was above normal Princess fare, service was great ( can depend on Server though of course), crew were very friendly and helpful too.

Everything in Polynesia is expensive except fruit, beer and flowers. T Shirts tended to run $35-$45 each for a good quality one and food and drink prices at most restaurants were very high. Be prepared. If you stay at one of the Resorts in Tahiti etc, such as the ICH you can plan on $200 -$300+ a day for meals. The hot breakfast buffet was $50 pp. A nice dinner for two will hit you $200 plus depending on drinks. Poisson Cru there was not a bad deal and was delicious, had it for lunch one day and it was great!

Marc's Snorkel, Pearl Farm, and Motu Picnic in Huahine was the highlight for sure, and was a steal at $100pp for a six hour excursion. Would strongly suggest it to anyone. Damien on Bora Bora also does a wonderful Circle Island Tour and was very informative regarding the Islands. Big advantage of independent tours is smaller gorups.

Would also suggest you arrange for Avis Car ahead of time on Moorea as many I spoke to were unable to get one on shore. The Air Conditioner is a plus over some of the other dune buggy type vehicle options.

We had a great CC Group on our Roll Call, 9 of us sat together, many of us toured together, and 16 of us showed up for a Sail Away Party on deck too. Just a great goup of people to spend time with.

If you have any questions, let me know and I would be happy to give you my humble opinion.

Dennis

Hi Dennis:

Glad to hear you had a great cruise. We leave on Thursday for a few days on Moorea pre-cruise. We sail April 28th.

Kinka: If you are using the Princess Hotel package such as the Intercontinental, when you get your bags and move toward the "Lobby" of the airport, there will be a Princess Rep there to put a Lai on you and point you to your coach. Your bags will go to the hotel in a small trailor.

Here is Damien's address: damien@boraboraphotolagoon.com

Dennis

Did you pay $100 or $125 for Marc's tour? I was quoted $125.

did you eat at the Roulottes (sp?) ? How were the food prices there? What did you think of the IC Papeete if you stayed there. Sorry for all fo the questions! :eek:

We paid $100, but I booked it five months ago when the dollar was much stronger to the XPF and the price of gas much lower. Would not suprise me if the price went up before we even went on the trip.

I was told that Bruno who does Tours on one of the Islands raised his price and charged even those pre-booked the new price. Marc honored the agreed upon price which says something to me.

Did not eat at the Roulettes but those I spoke to who did said they were good. Food prices are very high in most eating places. Everything on the Islands is very expensive and made even worse by the value of the dollar dropping lately.

The ICH is beautiful and our Panaramic View room was very nice. Pools and views are spectacular as are all the Islands once you get away from Papeete itself.

Food there is expensive as are most things on the Islands except fruit and flowers. Be prepared for sticker shock on meals, T Shirts, etc; even Refrigerator Magnets run $12-$20 each. The Breakfast Buffet is $50 pp for the full hot buffet and $40 if you just want the cold buffet.

There are some item on the Menu that are not "too" bad if you eat A La Carte. Watch out for mixed drink prices which can also vary in prices from expensive to outragous.

Tahiti would be a great place to go while on a diet. Worth every penny though and would love to go again.

Dennis

Dennis,

I think I will be dieting from the sounds of the prices...lol.... That's very high!! Wow.....

We are at the Sheraton in Papeete the night we arrive and then ferry over to Moorea for 3 days.... Then return to Papeete and board the ship.... Any thoughts or ideas on that? I know you answered the XPF money question for me.....I just have a hard time believing the drinks/food is that expensive.... Holy moly....

was there really a moon over Tahiti? I heard it's an urban legend (smiles)

Great meeting you and Wendy!

Just made all the connections home.. had only 10 minutes to spare in LA to make chicago plane (they were already boarded when we got there) as plane was late leaving Papeete, getting luggage was difficult in LA and we had to see a "special" agent to get boarding passes since luggage was checked all the way through to Chicago.

what's your home e-mail..I have some nice pictures of you guys

back to reality

Kylee

Thanks dennbr9! You have been a BIG help! Can't wait to read your review, although you have already provided a lot of valuable info already! Just have one last question. Did you have to recollect your luggage at LAX, or was it checked all the way through to PPT? I booked my air with Princess, and was not sure whether it would go all the way through. I was hoping to sneak out to IN and Out burger!:p

Did you pay $100 or $125 for Marc's tour? I was quoted $125.

did you eat at the Roulottes (sp?) ? How were the food prices there? What did you think of the IC Papeete if you stayed there. Sorry for all fo the questions! :eek:

Marc offers two different tours - the tour for $125 offers a little more than the other but they both meet up for the picnic part. We had both options and opted for the $125 (will be doing this on the 4/28 - 5/09 sailing.

CAN'T WAIT !!!!

Checked our luggage when leaving San Antonio, TX. Did not have to pick it up at LAX. Checked it all the way to Tahiti. No problems. When returning, we collected our checked luggage at LAX, went through customs, then, in the same Bradley International terminal area, returned it to the luggage handlers and went to another terminal for flight back to Texas.All luggage arrived safely back in San Antonio. No problems.

Have fun! It's a great cruise!

KK

Hi dennribi! I see we are neighbors. We will be staying at the IC in December before cruising the TA. We were wondering if you were able to do any snorkeling at the IC. I have read on some of the more recent posts that the lagoon was not in good shape. Also wondering about taking our own snorkel equipment with us. Any feelings on that?

Looking forward to your review!

I can't wait to read your review! I'd love to hear all about what you did on each of the Islands!

Thanks! Glad you had a great cruise!

Hello all!

Kylee: Yes, it's true - I spoke to your neighbor;-) Glad to hear you made the tight connections, we actually had two hours to spare in LA as our ATN flight was 15 minutes early and we breezed through customs etc with Wendy in a Wheelchair. Jean, Jeannie's Aunt sprainned her ankle getting off the bus at Papeete, so they were with us in the wheelchair parade. My email is: gdennis317@aol.com

You and Tom really helped make a great Cruise even better.

Spookie2: KKBay laid it out for you ( Glad to hear you and Sid made it back ok). Do keep the little immigration form they giveyou when you arrive in Papeete though, as you turn it back in when you leave.

Debbie: Had some new friends in our group who stayed at the Sheraton in Papeete and loved it. Did not use the Ferry so can't help there.

Katiekakes: The Lagoon is closed for swimming and rather murkey. I heard there was pretty good snorkeling down by the Beach near the watersports area, work your way over to the Bungalows in that area. We took our own Mask and Snorkel for the first time and really glad we did. Nice to have the valve at the top to keep the water out and you know who used it last;-0. Some tours had fins you could use, but in most tours I just had on my water shoes.( They are a must as many beaches have small Coral pieces in the sand).

Best thing you can do is join your Roll Call for your cruise. We had a wonderful group of people and drew in many others to our group as the cruise went on! It really adds to the experience.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

We paid $100, but I booked it five months ago when the dollar was much stronger to the XPF and the price of gas much lower. Would not suprise me if the price went up before we even went on the trip.

I was told that Bruno who does Tours on one of the Islands raised his price and charged even those pre-booked the new price. Marc honored the agreed upon price which says something to me.

Did not eat at the Roulettes but those I spoke to who did said they were good. Food prices are very high in most eating places. Everything on the Islands is very expensive and made even worse by the value of the dollar dropping lately.

The ICH is beautiful and our Panaramic View room was very nice. Pools and views are spectacular as are all the Islands once you get away from Papeete itself.

Food there is expensive as are most things on the Islands except fruit and flowers. Be prepared for sticker shock on meals, T Shirts, etc; even Refrigerator Magnets run $12-$20 each. The Breakfast Buffet is $50 pp for the full hot buffet and $40 if you just want the cold buffet.

There are some item on the Menu that are not "too" bad if you eat A La Carte. Watch out for mixed drink prices which can also vary in prices from expensive to outragous.

Tahiti would be a great place to go while on a diet. Worth every penny though and would love to go again.

Dennis

To cut the breakfast coast at the IC--be sure to ask for the Ala arte Menu--in case they say that there isn't one--just politely let them know that you know there is one--we've never had a problem getting the menu--but others say they have--A hot breakfast brought to you is nows probably in the low teens--less than a year ago it was about $9.ooUSD--anyway there are a few items on the menu--it doesn't tell you that with your Omelette or whatever you get--comes w/ sausage, bacon and usually also ham--I think toast also--I usually get the omelette--$maybe 13.00 today--we were there the last of March--so things are probably the same in the restaurant--might also be potatoes

whatever comes with it sure beats the buffet

Enjoy everyone !!!!!

Nancy:D

Hi dennribi! I see we are neighbors. We will be staying at the IC in December before cruising the TA. We were wondering if you were able to do any snorkeling at the IC. I have read on some of the more recent posts that the lagoon was not in good shape. Also wondering about taking our own snorkel equipment with us. Any feelings on that?

Looking forward to your review!

Always take your snorkeling equipment--I really have bad feelings about using a snorkel that has been used by lots of folks--they have a deal in San Juan that I wish other places have--when you use equipment at a hotel or boat--you receive a sanitize,new snorkel that they do not want back!!!what a great idea

Nancy:D

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. We will be following in your footsteps in Nov.

We plan to do independent tours. How much time should we allow to get ashore once the tenders start operating?

Thanks for the info on food costs. Knew prices were high but WOW!:eek: Better to know in advance then to be surprised.

Carole

Thanks for all of the great information. We will get to enjoy the T.P. in November as well. Can you tell me if the balconies on this ship are enclosed or not? We are also booked with Marc and Damien so I am happy to hear favorable things of them. Glad to hear that you had an enjoyable cruise.

Ia orana

fresh back from moorea

for those aboard the TP... see attached photo

meherio

attached the pics taken last week on Moorea while enjoying the Dr michael poole's tour

Meherio

212679634_Tahitianprincess08(5).JPG.546ce379c3b95b2d2acf738d89cd3a6e.JPG

1058785804_Tahitianprincess08(6).JPG.5514da4da82992cee57e3d580d009be5.JPG

Hi Meherio,

As you are very familiar with Moorea, can you tell me if Vincent's dive is a good option? Have you heard any feedback from that excursion?

Thanks and Cheers,

Kinka

Howdy!

Onthegogirl: Tenders run very well as only 670 passengers. When we had to meet on the dock at 9:00, we went down to the Tender at 8:30 and we were always early on shore. No comparison to tenders on the larger ships where you have to get a number if going early.

Cruzingirl: We had a Balcony on 7 ( 7088) and it as well as those below us were covered. Friends had an aft Cabin and their Balcony was mostly covered. Not sure how they are on deck 8 etc.

Ia Orana,

From Moorea I am, unfortunately I do not dive (except for the night dives in the freezer compartment for a coconut ice cream on a hot night).

Maybe some other poster who have gone with Vincent can help there

Enjoy FP

meherio

Just saying howdy!

Kylee, Karen, email me if ya want. Glad you guys had such a terrific time. So did Shayne and I.

Super_cougar@hotmail.com

So sad to be back in rainy Seattle. It snowed the day we got off the airplane.

Wendy

We used Aquablue (Vincent's helmet dive at the ICH) in Feb and had a great time. Vincent operates his own business and is not a hotel employee. The crew and Vincent were pleasant, bilingual and thoroughly professional. They pick you up and drop you off at the tender dock and he accepts VISA.

I thought the dive with Vincent was far better organized, safer, more relaxed and enjoyable than frantic TP cattle car dive on Bora Bora. In fact, Vincent refused to offer his dive on TP precisely because of the requirement to push too many divers into the water at a time. Vincent will not allow more than eight on a tour w/ only three in the water at a time. Two divers oversee the three guests while underwater. Very different with the TP Bora Bora dive.

The fish, coral, stingrays, eels were great. A DVD is for sale of your dive at the end. You can use the ICH pool and facilities after the dive. Aquablue T-shirts were the nicest Tshirts we saw in all of Polynesia (beautiful colors, design and quality fabric). Made great gifts.

I heartily recommend Vincent's Aquablue.