Back from Sovereign 4 night cruise--quick review

If you have any questions, ask away!

This was my first cruise ever. I earned the trip through my job (yes, I was one of the 700 or so folks from Pampered Chef onboard).

Day 1: Embarkation started late since the ship came into port late that morning (had a medical evacuation on the way back from CocoCay the day before). Our flight landed in Orlando around noon; by the time we got to the port, got checked in, and into our room it was probably 3 p.m.? Not sure--I wasn't paying close attention. Anyway, it just felt like we were in line forever. Sail away was fun. We had a special reception on the pool deck before dinner and that was nice. We had second seating for dinner and our waiter was Andy from Jamaica. He was hilarious.

Day 2: We missed CocoCay due to rough seas. It was very windy so it made the day at sea somewhat unenjoyable as well. It was chilly sitting up on the pool deck and the ship was rockin' and rollin'! The staff did their best to make it a fun day, though. We got into Nassau around 4 p.m. but by the time we got off the ship, most shops were closed. We got back onboard and enjoyed formal night and the show after dinner.

Day 3: Full day in Nassau. We did the self guided walking tour from Frommer's (which is also chronicled here on the Bahamas board). We had a FABULOUS lunch at Cafe Matisse. Did some shopping and got back on board to sit by the pool until dinner. Went to the Love and Marriage show and never laughed so hard in my entire life. Midnight buffet on the pool deck as we sailed away was super crowded and then was gone.

Day 4: WE MADE IT TO COCOCAY!!!!!!! This was the best day of the cruise. Had a fantastic day there. Loved the snorkeling. The BBQ lunch was good. Was sad to leave. Had our final dinner, a special dessert reception on the pool deck, and then went to Quest. That was SO MUCH FUN. Seas were rough again and we were rockin' and rollin' all night.

Day 5: Pulled into Port Canaveral around 5:30 a.m., breakfast in Windjammer at 6:30 a.m., and we were on the curb with our luggage by 8 a.m. Had no problems going through customs and our luggage was there right away when we got downstairs. The travel agent our company used booked us a 7 p.m. flight--ugh! We tried to fly standby on an earlier flight, but had no luck, so we had to wait and wait and wait. When I book my own cruise in the future, I'll know not to do that. :)

Other details:

--captain was James MacDonald

--cruise director was Chris Northey (sp?). He was great.

--Carlos at the forward pool bar makes the best mojitos

--loved the cold soups at dinner. The Watermelon Gazpacho was the best. The steaks are not so great.

If you have any other questions, just ask!

Thanks for the review! Sounds like a great time despite the weather!

Can you tell more about your cabin?

Thanks!

We had room 9066 oceanview. I found it plenty big for the two of us. We had a safe in the closet. DH always managed to overflow the shower, though. I don't know how. It was very clean.

We moved the "minibar" off the desk to the ledge above the mirror and it gave us plenty of room for our things. We put it all back when we left.

Randy was our stateroom attendant and he knew our names immediately and always had a smile on his face.

Mommachef: Thank you for your review. I am so glad you had a great time. I love the Sovereign, and would go every week if I could 1)afford it, and 2)afford to eat like that! I love the crew and although they offer short cruises, they are still fun. Coco Cay is a hoot!

I LOVE Chris Northey. I am goin' to send off a note to him today and tell him what you said! Captain MacDonald is a treasure, too. Who was the hotel manager; was it Adriana Tibaudo? Do you have the Cruise Compasses?

Glad you had fun! come back again!

We had room 9066 oceanview. I found it plenty big for the two of us. We had a safe in the closet. DH always managed to overflow the shower, though. I don't know how. It was very clean.

We moved the "minibar" off the desk to the ledge above the mirror and it gave us plenty of room for our things. We put it all back when we left.

Randy was our stateroom attendant and he knew our names immediately and always had a smile on his face.

Thank you for that :)

Thank you for the great review! Sounds like you had a great time and glad you made it to Coco Cay. We leave on the Sovereign soon and I can't wait.

Question: How formal was the formal night? I am trying to decide between a gown and a black cocktail dress. I am leaning twords the cocktail dress but just want to be sure. TIA

If you have any questions, ask away!

This was my first cruise ever. I earned the trip through my job (yes, I was one of the 700 or so folks from Pampered Chef onboard).

Day 1: Embarkation started late since the ship came into port late that morning (had a medical evacuation on the way back from CocoCay the day before). Our flight landed in Orlando around noon; by the time we got to the port, got checked in, and into our room it was probably 3 p.m.? Not sure--I wasn't paying close attention. Anyway, it just felt like we were in line forever. Sail away was fun. We had a special reception on the pool deck before dinner and that was nice. We had second seating for dinner and our waiter was Andy from Jamaica. He was hilarious.

Day 2: We missed CocoCay due to rough seas. It was very windy so it made the day at sea somewhat unenjoyable as well. It was chilly sitting up on the pool deck and the ship was rockin' and rollin'! The staff did their best to make it a fun day, though. We got into Nassau around 4 p.m. but by the time we got off the ship, most shops were closed. We got back onboard and enjoyed formal night and the show after dinner.

Day 3: Full day in Nassau. We did the self guided walking tour from Frommer's (which is also chronicled here on the Bahamas board). We had a FABULOUS lunch at Cafe Matisse. Did some shopping and got back on board to sit by the pool until dinner. Went to the Love and Marriage show and never laughed so hard in my entire life. Midnight buffet on the pool deck as we sailed away was super crowded and then was gone.

Day 4: WE MADE IT TO COCOCAY!!!!!!! This was the best day of the cruise. Had a fantastic day there. Loved the snorkeling. The BBQ lunch was good. Was sad to leave. Had our final dinner, a special dessert reception on the pool deck, and then went to Quest. That was SO MUCH FUN. Seas were rough again and we were rockin' and rollin' all night.

Day 5: Pulled into Port Canaveral around 5:30 a.m., breakfast in Windjammer at 6:30 a.m., and we were on the curb with our luggage by 8 a.m. Had no problems going through customs and our luggage was there right away when we got downstairs. The travel agent our company used booked us a 7 p.m. flight--ugh! We tried to fly standby on an earlier flight, but had no luck, so we had to wait and wait and wait. When I book my own cruise in the future, I'll know not to do that. :)

Other details:

--captain was James MacDonald

--cruise director was Chris Northey (sp?). He was great.

--Carlos at the forward pool bar makes the best mojitos

--loved the cold soups at dinner. The Watermelon Gazpacho was the best. The steaks are not so great.

If you have any other questions, just ask!

I figured you guys missed Coco Cay and thats why you were pulling in so late. We missed it on Wednesday too....:( ( Majesty )

Thank you for the great review! Sounds like you had a great time and glad you made it to Coco Cay. We leave on the Sovereign soon and I can't wait.

Question: How formal was the formal night? I am trying to decide between a gown and a black cocktail dress. I am leaning twords the cocktail dress but just want to be sure. TIA

Go with the cocktail dress. I did not see ANYONE in a gown.

Thank you for your review...I am packed and am ready to go on the Sovereign on May 2nd!

Trish

If you get to the port real early, I'll wave at you as I leave the ship. Of course, I'll be crying and you'll be smiling!:(

We were on the Sovereign on the 4/4 three day in JS 1566. Our shower also overflowed for no apparent reason. We were told the old girl was having some plumbing problems which was why our toilet wouldn't flush at times. Apparently they hadn't gotten it all fixed yet for you. :)

We were on the Sovereign on the 4/4 three day in JS 1566. Our shower also overflowed for no apparent reason. We were told the old girl was having some plumbing problems which was why our toilet wouldn't flush at times. Apparently they hadn't gotten it all fixed yet for you. :)

Maybe it was the plumbing. The shower curtain also covers the drain if you don't watch it, so I thought it was just DH being careless. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Glad to her you liked the Sovereign. We were on the sailing prior to yours, April 11-14. We didn't dock until 9am because of the Medical Evacuation. We did the Sovereign twice last year and were off the ship by 8am each time. We had cabin 9082 and Randy was our attendant also. He was great.

I still have the compasses if anyone nedds any info.

Nice Review! We're on the 5/19 sailing! We are having anxiety issues regarding a before noon flight home and your review was somewhat comforting! We will really be cutting it close with a 10:30a flight I am sure. Did you request early departure from the ship? Can you rent cabanas at coco cay? They have them at half moon and what a pampering!

Archived