If you love formal night...

Sky Sweet

A tux is a tux is a tux. While I do own two of them, they do look alike so yes, I wear exactly the same thing afloat that I would wear ashore. I do not wear my dress tennis shoes with either of them though.

Do you wear the same clothes for formal night on a cruise that you would wear to a land based formal event?

No! I have special "cruise clothes"..easy to pack and not expensive...and not truly formal. I call it ersatz formal!!!

Weddings are about the closest I get to formal events. The clothes I wear on the ship have almost all been worn to weddings. I wore my last mother-of-the-groom dress a couple of times on cruises till I lost weight and it was too big. I had fun replacing my wardrobe. :D

DH wears the same suit to weddings and formal nights.

We went on our last cruise in Sept. 2008.I am embarassed to tell you that those clothes are laying out in a spare bedroom waiting to go to the dry cleaner.The only time we wear formal wear is on a cruise.We laugh about those clothes right now but I guarantee you that come November we will unpack that garment bag and hit the drycleaner!Now you know way too much about us.How many new friends did we make tonight?:D Kathy

I wear a bit of both. On a couple of cruises I've loved wearing a beautiful gown that I wore to my son's very formal Chicago wedding. I usually wear a more formal gown on the first formal night and then loosen up a bit with things like simple black dresses with fabulous shawls! I do wear all of the above to black tie events at home except I usually save the floor length gowns for white tie occasions or black tie when I know most women will be dressed quite formally. We live in Pasadena, CA, where we have the opportunity to dress up quite frequently.

I should note that we have not been to the Caribbean for many years - other than 2 cruises to Alaska, all of our cruises have been longer Mediterranean, Baltics, or transatlatic cruises which probably affect my wardrobe selection. Wearing the dresses on cruises gives me the opportunity to amortize the cost of the dresses (and shoes!).

Yes - unless one of my Christmas Gala formals is to "wintery" for the cruise itinerary. I also shop for drastic discounts right after the prom and Christmas season and store for future cruises. The extra baggage charges

will certainly apply for me.

We are now retired and have moved to a small coastal town that is quite casual. However when we lived in the city we would certainly wear the same type of fromal wear to formal occasions that we would on fromal nights aboard ship.

Sure we are:) ...why on earth do I have long gowns, skirts and

formal tops in the closest? Oh for my cruises!

And I know you have a tux (or 2);)

Most of my land based formal gowns are um "pouffy", with very full skirts. They are hard to pack, so I rarely take them on a cruise, but have instead bought a couple of other formal dresses that I take on cruises. I'll probably make an exception and take a couple of the more glamorous pouffy ones on the QM2 as I understand formal nights sort of get kicked up a notch there.:), it will probably mean an extra suitbag though.

My husband owns a couple of tuxes, which he wears both at land based events and on cruises. Men are so lucky. One tux, a couple of tux shirts and the same pair of shoes and they're good to go.

I buy a long black skirt or palazzo pants and fancy tops to go with it. With make-up and bling you are dressed formal. I have not owned a gown since my son's Bar Mitzvah in 2001.

I would wear exactly the same thing to any formal event in town. When my son gets married (not for a long time yet) I will then think about another gown.

Joy

I have gowns because we do have formal events to attend, but on our last couple of cruises I have only taken one gown and black travelers palazzo pants with fancy tops for the other formal nights. We drive to the ports so luggage isn't really a problem except for the "schlep" factor.

Well now I'm sad. I just realized I've never been to a formal event on land, unless proms count. With all the embassies in my city, you'd think I'd get invited to a gala once in a while, but I just don't. I guess I'm not gala material.

Yes, DW and I attend one or two black tie fundraisers a year. While I purchased my tux mainly for cruising, its wonderful to have it at home and ready to go at a moment's notice. Over the years we've both added to our formal wardrobe so that we ae ready should the need arise.

I wear a bit of both. On a couple of cruises I've loved wearing a beautiful gown that I wore to my son's very formal Chicago wedding. I usually wear a more formal gown on the first formal night and then loosen up a bit with things like simple black dresses with fabulous shawls! I do wear all of the above to black tie events at home except I usually save the floor length gowns for white tie occasions or black tie when I know most women will be dressed quite formally. We live in Pasadena, CA, where we have the opportunity to dress up quite frequently.

I should note that we have not been to the Caribbean for many years - other than 2 cruises to Alaska, all of our cruises have been longer Mediterranean, Baltics, or transatlatic cruises which probably affect my wardrobe selection. Wearing the dresses on cruises gives me the opportunity to amortize the cost of the dresses (and shoes!).

Hi Sealover :)

Our daughter, who went to Northwestern, also got married in Chicago and I subsequently wore my mother of the bride gown for a few formal nights at sea, as well.

On another thread you mentioned that your son went to Northwestern and I now see that you live in Pasadena. By any chance, did your son invite a few of his friends from Northwestern to stay at your house for the Rose Bowl game during the 1995/1996 season. I am curious because our daughter, who was a Northwestern freshman at the time, stayed at the home of one of her college friends in Pasadena when she went to that Rose Bowl game.

Yes! My son graduated in 1995 so the 1996 Rose Bowl was a wild and crazy time here. I believe that his entire fraternity and the NU baseball team descended upon Pasadena as well as girlfriends and parents many of whom had never seen a successful football season during their time in Evanston. We live in walking distance of the Rose Bowl and the start of the parade so........we had 22+ sleeping in various places around our house from the 30th -2nd. Wildest time of my life. We hosted a post-game party for over 250 which was hilarious and fun. No one seemed to mind that NU lost the game. There were young ladies here - all were lovely, helpful and charming. Even if your daughter did not stay here, she most likely attended the party. It was all a very special memory for us. Thanks for reviving a wonderful experience.

I do love formal night and I think my husband "Likes" it. Tomorrow is his birthday and I bought him a white dinner jacket, I'll let you all know how it goes over. His has two black tuxes. double breasted and single with the shaw collar,thought it would be a change. All thoughts and comments are welcome. ?????:p

So my answer to the OP is yes, I take the Good Stuff, but I have learned over the years the "Slinky" stuff packs better than the "Ball Gown" type. It's an incentive to watch the weight.

I do love formal night and I think my husband "Likes" it. Tomorrow is his birthday and I bought him a white dinner jacket, I'll let you all know how it goes over. His has two black tuxes. double breasted and single with the shaw collar,thought it would be a change. All thoughts and comments are welcome. ?????:p

So my answer to the OP is yes, I take the Good Stuff, but I have learned over the years the "Slinky" stuff packs better than the "Ball Gown" type. It's an incentive to watch the weight.

Happy birthday to your dear hubby! Hope to see him in his new white dinner jacket! As long as my husband's old tux (shawl collar) fits, that's the one he will take. Last year he bought a new tux for our son's wedding, but that will stay home (never know when luggage will disappear!!!).

Lucky you to fit into the slinky!! I will be comfortable in Chico's!!!

Really looking forward to our cruise!

I don't have cruise wear - anything that I wear on a cruise, I will wear at home and on other vacations. I have a hard time picking between my many formal gowns - I brought 5 long formal gowns for formal nights and 7 semi-formal (cocktail dresses and beaded pants outfits) for informal nights on my last cruise (back to back 14 day cruises for a total of 28 days). As we go ballroom dancing a lot, I do wear a lot of formal gowns and semi-formal ones as most functions require that dress. Hubby took his tux and dinner jacket as well as a large assortment of ties, vests, etc for formal night and his suit and assorted shirts and ties for informal nights.

Happy birthday to your dear hubby! Hope to see him in his new white dinner jacket! As long as my husband's old tux (shawl collar) fits, that's the one he will take. Last year he bought a new tux for our son's wedding, but that will stay home (never know when luggage will disappear!!!).

Lucky you to fit into the slinky!! I will be comfortable in Chico's!!!

Really looking forward to our cruise!

Babylene,

Now, please don't confuse 'Slinky" with "Skinny" but I was never shy;) Being a little over 6' tall without shoes, my 'Motto" has always been "If you can't hide it DECORATE it"

We dress formally a lot due to business so I don't buy special for the cruise, cruising just helps me get my moneys' worth.

Thank you for the birthday wishes we are a week apart in the birthday department but different years. We have a new grandson and I'm am so torn about leaving him but I sure I'll suffer through. I'll see you at the sailaway,Sunset Bar.

I wear a lot of coldwater creek stuff, myself.

Archived