Oceania?

tonyd285

We are considering Oceania for a cruise next year. We are already booked on X this fall (the Xpedition to the Galapagos) and typically take one cruise a year. First - do you posters recommend O for longish cruises? Second - We were on the X Journey last year (also a former Renaissance vessel) and the O ships appear to be identical. Are there any significant differences we should know about? Thanks all for your input.

Good question Tony. We have taken most of the "mass" market lines - and will be doing a Seabourn all inclusive next week - so am interested in Oceania - a 2 week to a month cruise next year. As I have not personally spoken with an Oceania "veteran" I also would be interested in seeing some responses to your inquiry.

We are considering Oceania for a cruise next year. We are already booked on X this fall (the Xpedition to the Galapagos) and typically take one cruise a year. First - do you posters recommend O for longish cruises? Second - We were on the X Journey last year (also a former Renaissance vessel) and the O ships appear to be identical. Are there any significant differences we should know about? Thanks all for your input.

First, the Oceania ships and the Azamara ships (as well as a couple of the smaller Princess ships) are virtually identical...They were all originally built as sister ships for the now-defunct Renaissance Cruise Lines...there are minor differences and a few different things each line has done in refurbishing the ships...but, for the most part, they are the same deck plans, the same amenities...heck, even the cabin numbers are the same...

Pretty much you will find these ships familiar having cruised any of them...

I, myself, am a big Celebrity fan, preferring "X" for a number of reasons...and I am an "Elite" member of Captains Club...

But I also find a number of things on Oceania to my liking...though there are some things about the bigger M-Class "X" ships that I like...But, of course, these smaller ships are a slightly different sort of experience...though you will find the Oceania experience very similar to that Azamara experience--much more akin than either are to a Celebrity large ship...

First, realize that the food is excellent...

The entertainment, though, is a little lacking compared to what you get on a large ship...

No formal nights and dinners are open seating...

You will find that Oceania is a bit more expensive...and there are some hidden costs...extra fees, transfers not included, higher drink prices, tips higher...Hotel packages are unconscionably more expensive...On the whole, pricing our July 2009 Oceania cruise versus a same-length, similar timeframe cruise on Azamara for the same cabin, Oceania came out to about $2,000 more (for two--air plus cruise plus fees)...

Still, the reasons to go with Oceania are:

The itineraries...Reason we're going back...we found a great itinerary that we can't match for the time of year...

The overall experience...I cannot tell you it's a "better" experience than Celebrity or Azamara--just that, in and of itself, it's a pretty danged good cruise experience...they do enough right to make it enjoyable...it's elegant and classy, the ships are nice, the food excellent, the intineraries outstanding...

I think most repeat O cruisers would agree that the longer cruise are the best!! :D

If you sailed Azamara a year ago I think you would love O but I have heard that AZA is improving so may may come down to price/itinerary

I have not sailed AZA but I see the differences as the type of passengers that the 2 lines get...

O seems to have more mature passengers ( over 50) where AZA has a wider age range

Enjoy what ever line you choose

After doing the May itineraries on O for the past few years we have just booked back to back cruises for May-June '09 on the Azamara Journey.

Judging by the latest reviews by next year Az should have perfected their act. We really are glad to to have this alternative to O.:) :)

Archived