Alaska on July 2

wally8

This will be our first cruise to Alaska and wanted some suggestions for Sitka and Skagway. I've noticed that some have opted for a tour outside the cruiseline. Is this recommended and if so are there any suggestions? Thanks.

I realize I didn't state this question very well. We are sailing on the Mariner departing on July 2 and since this is our first trip to Alaska, does anyone have any suggestions for shore excursions not sponsored by the cruiseline for both Sitka and Skagway? Thanks.

Haven't been to Sitka or Skagway, but I have been to Alaska many times, and we have a ranch in northern British Columbia. I just wanted to comment on the dogsledding. You need to set your granddaughter's expectations appropriately to avoid disappointment. There is probably not going to be any snow unless you go to a glacier, but some places the dogs pull sleds on dirt. Real sled dogs aren't pets. So the puppies may look cute, but most adult sled dogs aren't the pretty huskies that everyone imagines. Our neighbor in British Columbia has sled dogs and they look pretty rangey, not cute at all.

Hi Wally8 I will be the overweight grandma with the well behaved 11 year old girl. We have a great time together and she loves to travel despite being quite shy. For 3 summers now, we have traveled someplace together and had a super time! We haven't been to Alaska before either so I guess I had better get started with the homework!!

RachelG; yes, we are aware of the sled dogs as there are some near us (we live in northern Michigan so snow is certainly no rarity here!!) I agree wholeheartedly about your description of the dogs, and both adults and children should be forewarned so I do appreciate your comments.

We are looking at a glacier tour which will have sleds on snow vs. wheeled sleds on the ground. Still considering which one to do as the helicopter/snow/glacier/dog tour is very expensive.

I think it is just great that you are taking your granddaughter on these adventures. That is something I hope to do someday (if I ever get any grandkids).

One thing that you must do is the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion. It is the absolute best excursion I have ever been on anywhere. The calving glaciers are truly spectacular. Kids love it.

And in Juneau, if you can, go to the state history museum. It really is very neat. Lots of interesting exhibits. I have actually been twice--I liked it so much.

Mendenhall glacier is not so much in my opinion. Tracy Arm is way more impressive. Mendenhall is kind of dirty at the base, and the helicopter flights are way expensive for what you get. (If you do decide to do the helicopter, there are guys at the pier selling them with the same companies as the ship uses for way less.)

Archived