Is a veil appropriate?

Hi all!

I had planned on wearing a veil with my wedding dress. We are getting married on the Carnival Glory in October. Recently my future mother-in-law told me that it would be inappropriate to wear a veil 1) because it isn't a traditional wedding and 2) because we have lived together for over a year and I'm not a "blushing bride", if you know what I mean.

Is she just being old-fashioned? I have noticed though in the weddings I've been to in the past year, that girls are not wearing veils over their faces when during the ceremony, but wearing it back in their hair. Let me know what you guys think...I'm still trying to decide what to do!

I would not listen to her.....I am wearing a veil (one that is just in the back not going over face) and I have been living with my fiance for the past year. we are not getting married till december of 2009 but that will not change my mind in wearing one. It makes it feel more real. Do what you want....but i wouldnt decide against it because of her.

Hi all!

I had planned on wearing a veil with my wedding dress. We are getting married on the Carnival Glory in October. Recently my future mother-in-law told me that it would be inappropriate to wear a veil 1) because it isn't a traditional wedding and 2) because we have lived together for over a year and I'm not a "blushing bride", if you know what I mean.

Is she just being old-fashioned? I have noticed though in the weddings I've been to in the past year, that girls are not wearing veils over their faces when during the ceremony, but wearing it back in their hair. Let me know what you guys think...I'm still trying to decide what to do!

Definatly do a veil if you want. It isn't a popular these days because of all the hair ornaments and isn't really the "IN" thing for alot of young brides. Kinda of like the wedding cakes these days...everyone is leaning towards the non-traditional way and making them more modern.

As everyone else said...don't let her make you choose not to. I'm wearing a veil & tiara and I am getting married on the day that marks our 12th year together. I'm sure she would really have a field day with me..haha.

P.S. I am just wearing the veil at the back of my head as well....not over my face. But it's not a bad thing to do so.

I totally agree with the others. I wore a full veil (not over the face though. No way!) and a tiara along with a full white wedding gown.

We got married in Barbados, it wasn't my first marriage, and I have three kids too! :eek: Talk about "inappropriate"! :D

My daughter got married on ship on CB. She was not going to do a veil but when she got the gown on changed her mind. Just didnt feel like a bride without it. She also wore hers in the back. Brides today may not be ""blushing"" but they are strong, independent women so go for it!

My fiance and I have been living together for three years, are both in our 30s, and this is a second marriage for both of us. My future MIL makes us sleep in separate bedrooms when we go visit, if that gives you some idea of her views. She felt the same way about the "non-traditional" wedding. My attitude has been, our wedding, our day, our way. I would recommend the same for you. I'm pretty sure she'll get over it...;)

• 2 weeks later...

I am not wearing a veil at all, but to each its own. Do you and wear what ever you want. This is your day and not hers. I'm doing the Tiara. I just prefer the tiara. I've been married before and just wanted something different. My first wedding I did all of that. I believe its the times that we are living in. We are going with the more modern bride. If you want to have the veil in the front while walking down the isle. I say just do it.:) :) :) :) :)

Im 50 and getting married in a wedding dress with a tiara and veil!!! As others have said do your own thing- I am not wearing a veil over my face cos it would spoil my hair! lol!

Your day, your choice! I'm not wearing one just because we are getting married on the deck while sailing, and so I'm concerned about wind and being attacked by my veil... but go for it if you want it.

I would wear it!!

My fiance was married before, has 2 children, we have been together for 12 years lol... and we are getting married on a beach in hawaii and I am wearing a short veil but the one that goes in the back...

I am thinking more towards how I want the pictures to look... since none of my family will be there its really important to me to have some really nice pictures to share with everyone etc and I hink the veil will look beautiful

Archived