Making More Cabins Usable. What Do You Think of This Idea?

IMO, when the lines design new ships or overhaul the existsing ships, they should modify all cabins with the addition of grab bars. Then on each deck, make a "parking/charging" area for scooters/wheelchairs.

That way, when people bring scooters/wheelchairs just for distance, they have a safe cabin for balance issues. AND they have a safe place to park/charge their equipment overnight without encumbering the hallways for others. Another benefit is that the passengers don't have to use their few cabin outlets and lots of extension cords, which themselves are a tripping hazard.

Cruiselines don't have to lose revenue by making bigger cabins with bigger doors etc. They could install grab bars in EVERY bathroom, and and provide raised toilet seats by request.

1. Safer cabins for everyone.

2. More choice of cabins for people who are "part-time" scooter/wheelchair users.

3. Frees up fully accessible cabins with roll-in showers for those who actually need the extra room and a roll-in shower.

Comments?

I like the idea of additional grab bars in some of the rooms. I think that will help people who use canes and do not need extra space.

The second idea, while a good one, would probably present some liability issues for the cruise line. If the scooter get damaged while in the charging room -- who is liable.

I would also like to have a small ramp rather than a step into the bathroom. In the past two months I've added footdrop to my other mobility problems and now have much more problems with steps than I did previously. I think "universal design" could go a long way for people like me.

I think that is a great idea. Rather the way they have gone to portable equipment for the hearing impaired, so that any cabin is functional for them, rather than single out a few cabins with special equipment. I have stayed in hotel rooms that had all the light signals, etc, and not only did I feel bad that a deaf person wasn't able to use it, it actually was annoying for me.

Ditto some of the things that make a cabin "wheelchair-accessible" are pretty much undesirable for the AB's, such as a lack of furniture, and barrier-free showers.

If the ships could make all, or nearly all, of their cabins workable for (for lack of a better word) moderately disabled, who can walk around a cabin, and step into a regular shower (perhaps with a built in shower seat), that would free up space for those of us who absolutely have to have the wheelchair accessible features.

For us the big issue with regular cabin is the combo shower/tub where you have to take a big step over the tub lip to get into the shower. Doing that step on a rocking sea day is dangerous. If there were more cabins with just a typical standup shower (and some grab bar?) we'd have a lot more options.

I really like the idea of more grab bars. The raised toilet seats would be very helpful too. I'm able-bodied, but sometimes I have balance issues or joint pain that would make the cabin modifications very welcome. Family & friends are worse off, from knee & hip replacements, vision problems, and grossly over-weight. None of us are classically disabled, we just could use a little help now and them.

America is getting older. Hopefully designers will take that into consideration.

I think grab bars for more but not all of the rooms. I'd like to see accessible cabins in more categories with triples and quads included.

Even though my son has to travel with a scooter, I have mixed emotions about the scooter area. It could be great and would certainly be nice for my family. However, it could have drawbacks. I think you'd have to have a key card so only scooter owners would have access. Then they'd have to post they (the cruiselines) have no liability. It would take up space that is otherwise used as cabins, which means losing revenue. The space has to come from somewhere. This also might have the effect of encouraging more people to bring them, thus creating more demand for the scooter storage. Methinks the cruiselines might want to charge for this, especially as the demand grew. I don't like the idea of paying more the priviledge :( of my son being disabled.

Travelitis I have to say the reason I find that a good idea is because I was witness to a whole string of incidents on the Mercury downunder this year. A fellow cruiser had her Scooter parked in the corridor without consideration for her neighbours. She had a much older lady living down the corridor with one of those 3 legged walkers and she would have a heck of a time to get by the scooter parked in the corridor several times a day. Especially since the Mercury does not have those every wide corridors. It would be better to offer safe parking away for those passenger not occupying larger HC cabins. It is not only more comfortable for ALL but also SAFER for both parties (no passenger tripping over scooters and no brats or drunks tampering with the equipment either.)

Three Rings,, I like both ideas very much. I am a distance challenged scooter user and i certainly don't need the entire handicapped accessible cabin but it would be great to have a modified cabin to use. And the addition of a ramp to the BR would also be very usable.:) :)

Archived