Valparaiso Port (VTP)

oavcech95

Oavech,

There are many companies that will offer transportation from Santiago to Valparaiso. We used ChileAbout but I know there are many. Some will offer it with a tour as well if you choose.

As far as how long it takes once you get to the port....it would depend on the line and what time you arrive. We got there when there weren't any lines really, so we got checked in VERY quickly. They take your passport, your paperwork and have you sign a paper saying you aren't sick and then you are given a keycard and off you go. From there, they put you on buses since this is a big container port and too far to just walk around. For us, we just got unlucky with the luck of the draw and got stuck in a long line of containers, so it took longer for us to get to the ship than usual. If all is running smoothly, I would say it will probably be about 5 minutes on the bus. Then you go up to the ship where they will take your picture for security reasons that matches to your keycard so they will have record of each time you leave and return to the ship and that no one else but you is using your card to get on the ship. At that point, we were on Infinity so we were met with a glass of champagne and escourted to our cabin. But not all lines have you escourted, but basically, that is the procedure for getting to the ship from Valparaiso.

Also, if you don't choose to find the company on your own, I know that most cruise lines have transporation from the airport in Santiago to Valparaiso. Hope this helps.

Cathy

Thanks, you use chileabout, what his website?

I will try to get there, like one hour from the hour they told me, like 10 or 9. Thanks cathy, but the champagne that they give it to you it was because you had a concierge room?:)

oavcech95,

The Chile about web site is http://www.chileabout.com and they have many different tours. For us, we spent one night in Santiago and one in Vina del Mar before going to the ship and we were trying to get transportation to our hotel in Vina del Mar but found it wasn't all that much more to set it up as a tour with a drop off over there, vs back in Santiago.

They have a driver and guide so the driver stays with your baggage the whole time, so you can get out at various places with your guide. But I know some also use it just for transportation. If you send Carla and email, she can generally come up with something that you are looking for.

In regards to the champagne when you first get on the ship, I'm not discussing the champagne waiting for you in your room if you are concierge class. This is RIGHT when you get on the ship. They give it to you right after you get your picture taken with the key card and before someone escourts you to your cabin. It's for EVERYONE. You have a choice between champagne or else orange juice with champagne and they take your carry one bags for you while taking you to your cabin and all that will be in your hand is your champagne glass. Any class of cabin on the ship receives this. But you are right...the actual full bottle, flowers, IN THE CABIN is not there for everyone.

Cathy

We personally did a private tour that picked us up at our Hotel (Hotel Orly) and then we saw a few things in Santiago that we had missed on our own, stopped at a vineyard, went to Valparaiso and toured, then to Vina del Mar and the beach community just north of that. (sorry, forgot the name but it started with an R) After a full day, we were dropped off at our hotel in Vina del Mar (Cap Ducal).

At that time, the price for that tour for just the two of us was $83. I do know that even from the time I had booked and by the time we got there, the dollar was declining fast and the prices had gone up on their web site for similar tours.

We had a great day though and saw so much that obviously we would have missed if we had done just a transfer. Also, their vans can hold up to six people and they do discount the per person rate if you get others to join you. I just couldn't find others in our roll call that were coming in in that time frame and wanting to stay a night in both Santiago and Vina del Mar before the cruise, so the rate was higher but very worth it for us.

Cathy

CathyK2: What company provided the transfer/tour from Santiago to Valpariso?

What did you think about the Hotel Orly? Clean/modern; price; safe location; did you book direct or with a third party?

thanks,

john

We personally did a private tour that picked us up at our Hotel (Hotel Orly) and then we saw a few things in Santiago that we had missed on our own, stopped at a vineyard, went to Valparaiso and toured, then to Vina del Mar and the beach community just north of that. (sorry, forgot the name but it started with an R) After a full day, we were dropped off at our hotel in Vina del Mar (Cap Ducal).

At that time, the price for that tour for just the two of us was $83. I do know that even from the time I had booked and by the time we got there, the dollar was declining fast and the prices had gone up on their web site for similar tours.

We had a great day though and saw so much that obviously we would have missed if we had done just a transfer. Also, their vans can hold up to six people and they do discount the per person rate if you get others to join you. I just couldn't find others in our roll call that were coming in in that time frame and wanting to stay a night in both Santiago and Vina del Mar before the cruise, so the rate was higher but very worth it for us.

Cathy

That sounds like a real bargain, Cathy. Thank you ! ;)

John,

As has been mentioned by others, we used Chileabout.

In regards to Hotel Orly, I really liked it there a lot. It has such charm, the staff is amazing and it's in a wonderful location. It's extremely clean and just an all round cute boutique type hotel. And again, the LOCATION is wonderful. Close to so many choices for restaurants and you have the subway station right there. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Cathy

John,

Sorry, forgot to mention that yes, I booked this hotel direct by booking online from their web page. They were always very prompt in getting back to me. Also they were the ones that had recommended ChileAbout when I was later asking them for various information about transfers to the coast.

Cathy

I´m sorry to tell it, but that link only have one tour to Valparaiso, and it´s 270 dolars for 4 persons, so please any other company for transportation no grater than 150, or do you think it´s better to rent a car for 115 dolars plus the taxi and highway.

John,

As has been mentioned by others, we used Chileabout.

In regards to Hotel Orly, I really liked it there a lot. It has such charm, the staff is amazing and it's in a wonderful location. It's extremely clean and just an all round cute boutique type hotel. And again, the LOCATION is wonderful. Close to so many choices for restaurants and you have the subway station right there. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Cathy

I can second that on the Hotel Orly. It was just lovely and wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Also if you have the time why not drive to Valparaiso from Santiago. We hired a car for 3 days, it was about $165. The drive is a very easy one and you can get them to drop you at the port when you return the car.

I think the company we used was called Rosselotte or something like that.

We stayed at the Cantamar in Vina del Mar but I dont recommend it

Denise

Oavcech,

Ok, if you are looking for the all time cheapest way to get four people from Santiago to Valparaiso, I know when I was running all the options, it turned out to be by using Tur-Bus. You would need to pay for a cab to get you from the airport to the bus station and then on the other end a cab to get you from the airport to the cruise terminal.

If I recall, it was about 15 dollars per person on this bus. I can't vouch for it first hand since we used ChileAbout, but I do know that this was a direction we also considered that had been recommended by some on these boards. I did see plenty of these buses while in Chile and they looked much nicer than the buses we tend to have in the U.S.....atleast from the outside. I never was in one. But you may want to check that out if you are looking for the cheapest transportation from point A to point B.

Cathy

Yes I know that idea, but in Tripadvisor they told me that is a bad idea. But maybe the taxi, how much it cost the taxi, and what type of taxis are, because we are four.:cool:

I think the cheapest you can do it for 4 people, if you dont wish to use the bus,is to hire a car. You are not going to get 4 people that distance for any less. Taxis just from the airport to Santiago vary from $30 to $50 and that isnt a great distance, took us about 20mins. I cant see you will get one that will take you that far for less then $100 as they have tolls to pay and have to return to Santiago anyway. The bus is supposed to be quite safe just an inconvenience having to carry bags. They leave every 15mins from Terminal San Borj and it takes about 1 1/2 hours for about $8. It only cost us $165 for 3 days car hire so one day of course should be less. Here is the link we used http://arac.com/locations/santiago_c...ental_cars.htm

You actually pick up car from Rosselot Car Rentals. You may be able to get more people to join you and get a mini van, that may be a bit less. I really dont think you will have any cheaper options. Hope this info may help you. You still have a while yet to decide.

Archived