• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Injured Passenger on Liberty of the Seas

I'm going on Adventure in December and was so looking forward to skating. After reading this and thinking what could happen I may pass. I haven't skated for years but always loved it as a kid. At my mid 50 age may not be a good thing. Ice in the drink is as close as I need to come, lol!

Oh, give it a try....I did! I hadn't skated in years either, same age group as you, and I had fun. Yes, the plastic skates leave a lot to be desired. It took some getting used to. But, I would do it again. PS - If you own skates, you can bring them. Just go slow and be careful!

Do you have to sign a waiver or release so you can't sue RCCL if injured while skating?

Yes you have to sign all kinds of release papers. I have done that many times. Fortunately I have never been injured.

And I am waiting for someone to start complaining about how they should have just treated the guy aboard the ship and RCI should reimburse him for the cost of the evacuation..... and give him a free cruise.

USCG only charges for rescues in state and Federal waters around RI. :D

Wonder how much they will charge if I get tired of kayaking from the pond around Block Island and back?

Thankfully that evac was close to home so to speak so it was a short flight out and back and to a big ship so no difficult basket lift among the ship structure...and all at Tax Payer expense no charge to the RC ship, captain, ice dancers, or the injured party. Heck, he was probably back in Miami before the ship.

I do wish the injured well. Triple break doesn't sound too good.

The worst I recall seeing was as a teen on a mission trip and the leader tripped and broke both arms in a couple places each. That was really tough on her.

We were on this sailing, boogie-boarding at the Flowrider when we saw the helicopter fly up to the ship....we weren't effected by it at all....

We tried the ice skating on the last sea day and I can see how someone could break their arm....I fell and seriously hurt my thumb....bent my thumbnail back along the whole side of it and gouged my knuckle...but I was fine....kind of just hurt my pride...

Do you have to sign a waiver or release so you can't sue RCCL if injured while skating?

When my husband and I were on the Liberty Oct 07, you indeed had to sign waivers of responsibility. Like the other posters mentioned, if you don't know how to skate on ice, beware, it is hard and unforgiving if you fall. Growing up in upstate New York, ice isn't a new concept for me, my husband from SOUTH CAROLINA, however, not so much..:p

Hopefully the breaks will heal and he'll be fine.

The saddest ice skating cruise story I've heard is about the son that fell and father that skated over his hand, lost at least one finger, could not be re-attached. That's a forever type thing that I'm sure is as hard for the father to overcome as the son and there's a reminder every time he looks at him. Talk about a distroyed vacation. It was on Freedom of the Seas back in January.

I wonder how long it will take before someone on that ship complaints about the ship being delayed for a couple of hours while this poor guy was air-evac off the ship.

I hope that person that started the petition on that other ship wasn't on this one. :p

I was on this ship and we actually were not delayed at all. The evacuation just took a couple of minutes and we hardly knew about it. They showed a video of the evacaution at one of the shows. We were on our way back to MIami and in the middle of the ocean. There was no delay.

Archived