Sour Dough Mining Company Restaurant Anchorage

Mscruisin

There is also an Applebees, a steak place called the Pepper Mill, the Sea Galley (good king crab legs and excellent salad bar) plus a TGI Fridays. Close by is a relatively new IHOP and even a Dairy Queen Sourdough Mining Company is ok but, as previously stated, it caters heavily to large groups. I've always liked their corn fritters but items can be variable. However, the place is done up like the inside of a mine and there's a free show with "Dusty Sourdough" spinning tales about Alaska twice a night. Across the parking lot is the immensely popular Alaska Wildberry store with the infamous giant chocolate waterfall (each to their own) and the new Wildberry Theater with performances by Alaska's own "Hobo Jim" (very entertaining). Overall, it can be fun but don't expect gourmet.

We been there once before. While it is crazy, the food was great.

But was disappointed that the coupon in northern lights is not valid during

summer months. I do have a issue with this. Not because I am not saving

$$. But I feel that business place odds that customer will not read the

details before they order.

I have also heard the cattle company is a good place in Anchorage.

Stuart Anderson's Cattle Company is the best place within walking distance of the hotel IMO.

I loved this restaurant when there was one in Minnesota until a few years ago. Is this also close to the Captain Cook Hotel?

Darn. Any good restaurants closer to Captain Cook? Or, are taxis common in Anchorage or impossible to find?

There are lots of good restaurants downtown (where the Captain Cook is) - The Glacier Brewhouse, L'Orso, Phyllis' Seafood, Simon & Seafort, etc etc.

We're staying at the Ramada downtown. Are there any "california light" or wine bar/unique salad/sandwich places nearby? I love seafood too, but thinking I'm going to get a lot of salmon and halibut for lunch at the cruise ports, which is just fine. I'm just not the meat/potatoes kinda person...:)

There are lots of good restaurants downtown.....The Glacier Brewhouse......, etc etc.

We'll have one night in Anchorage and will be tryng the Glacier BrewHouse. Have seen good reviews or comments on this board. Will work up an appetite walking from the Comfort Inn Ship Creek.

Yes, the Sourdough Mining Co. is a very popular tourist destination!

While we were waiting to eat there, we ran into a group of friendly "fishing buddies" who we first met on the docks in Seward, and then saw at the Seward Military Resort where it turned out we were all staying.

This prompted my then 10 yr old to say: "Mom, Alaska really is a small town!"

We still quote my son even 2 years later because that is just how the people in Alaska make you feel -- like you are visiting a small town!

By the way we also enjoyed the gift shop next to the Sourdough Mining Co. -- with the chocolate fountain! We hung out in the that complex till after 11 pm since it was still light out!

Archived