liquor question

Bettyboop66

The last time my DH and I cruised Holland you could pre-order bottles of liquor for drinking in your cabin. We haven't sailed with them in several years and I was wondering if you can still do this? We have a cruise booked on the Noordam in December. Thanks for the help.

Yes it can still be done and is a great way to have the components of your pre-dinner-while-getting-dressed cocktail :D . The problem I had was that they didn't offer what I needed, specifically a bottle of peppermint schnapps to add to my hot cocoa. Because I couldn't find it on the list I will admit :o that I brought one on board in my checked luggage. Can you special order items that aren't on the list? If there is a way to get it through HAL I don't want to "smuggle" next time.

Yes it can still be done and is a great way to have the components of your pre-dinner-while-getting-dressed cocktail :D . The problem I had was that they didn't offer what I needed, specifically a bottle of peppermint schnapps to add to my hot cocoa. Because I couldn't find it on the list I will admit :o that I brought one on board in my checked luggage. Can you special order items that aren't on the list? If there is a way to get it through HAL I don't want to "smuggle" next time.

Once you board the ship go to any one the the bars and see what the ship is stocking for liquor.. You can than purchase the bottle from the bar or order it thru room service..

Bulldog

Thanks everyone for the quick answers. I knew that I could count on Cruise Critic. Now just a few more questions. Bulldog are you sure that you can go to a bar and order? I had a bad experience on Princess, their brochure said that I could order bottles from certain bars onboard and then when I got there they said no. I even went to the past passenger desk because my husband, being the organized person that he is, had the brochure with him. And unfortunately they did absolutely nothing to help me. I will smuggle if necessary, but I'd rather buy it from the ship if I could. Thanks for the help. We booked our cruise last night so we are now ready to go. Too bad it's not until December.

Bulldog are you sure that you can go to a bar and order? I had a bad experience on Princess, their brochure said that I could order bottles from certain bars onboard and then when I got there they said no. I even went to the past passenger desk because my husband, being the organized person that he is, had the brochure with him. And unfortunately they did absolutely nothing to help me. I will smuggle if necessary, but I'd rather buy it from the ship if I could. Thanks for the help. .

Have done this the last two years on the Noordam with no problem..At the bar they handed me the bottle and I signed for it..When I called room service the bottle showed up within 10 minutes..

Bulldog

You can order a bottle of anything they stock on board and have it delivered to your cabin.

Get it yourself from any bar or call Room Service. If you happen to have a Suite, ask the Concierge.

When you bought it years ago it was from duty free which added 15% on the duty free price and it was a great deal. THose days are over and the cost is probably more than you can buy at home and add a 15% grat on the bottle.

Betty,

When you order the booze from the bar if you are in port you will have to pay the local tax rate, if you order it while at sea you will not have to pay tax.

On the Veendam I just went to one of the bars and ordered a bottle of JD and they delivered it the stateroom within 15 minutes.

FYI be prepared to pay a premium price from the bar.

We were onboard Westerdam earlier this month and I pre-ordered a bottle of Citron Absolute Vodka. I believe the cost was $32. It was in our cabin when we arrived. I brought along some diet (only 5 calories per glass) cranberry juice to mix with it, as well as some limes. I ordered orange juice from room service and was able, with all the above components, to make drinks for in-cabin imbibing!

Archived