Light Luggage

karle

Hi, i am looking to buy new light weight luggage for our up coming cruise. With all the weight and luggage requirements nowadays, i need some suggestions as what to look into. Any advise will be greatly appreciated ! Thanks

I have had Travelpro Lite for the past year, and it was the WORST mistake I've ever made! We registered for it for our March 07 wedding and while we have used it pretty heavily over the past year, we have 2 broken zippers and a broken handle on the 2 pieces we use regularly.

Like you, I was looking for something light, but next time, I think I'll go for the full weight stuff!

I have had Travelpro Lite for the past year, and it was the WORST mistake I've ever made! We registered for it for our March 07 wedding and while we have used it pretty heavily over the past year, we have 2 broken zippers and a broken handle on the 2 pieces we use regularly.

Like you, I was looking for something light, but next time, I think I'll go for the full weight stuff!

If you broke them, TravelPro should fix them. But if the airline did it, the claim should be with them.

Considering the airline weigh restrictions, go as light as possible. You don't have to spend a fortune either. Any dept. store will have decent luggage at fair (usually on sale) prices. Just lift them, and compare! The weight of the empty luggage is on the tags.

The way luggage is handled means that even expensive bags will get beaten up and broken--

Life .. and luggage .. is full of trade-offs. Wheelless duffle bags will be the lightest. This is what I use (along with a backpack for carry-on) when traveling by myself. My wife hates them, though.

As mentioned earlier, ebags.com is a god place to look -- even if you want to buy in person -- as they list MANY bags all with dimensions and weight.

Paul

I have Heys X-Case which are really light and strong. So far it's been to Canada half a dozen times and China via Thailand once. I bought one roll aboard and a set of three suitcases, which is one large, one medium and a roll aboard that fit inside each other. The can be bought at www.luggage.com for around $300 and come in lots of bright colors that are easy to spot on the luggage carousel. The airlines, Amtrak and ViaRail Canada have managed to scratch them and dent one, but they are still very serviceable. I've yet to come across any luggage that the airlines or railroads couldn't damage. I usually can't be bothered hanging around an airport to complain about scratched luggage - it's what's inside that matters to me.

The way luggage is handled means that even expensive bags will get beaten up and broken--

Had bags wrecked by the flight and the cruise port and I am considering going carry-on only as much as possible. Although the suitbag still may have to be checked for us to share for the formal night dresses and suit. We don't bring a lot of souvenirs or booze back to Canada with us so it could work if somehow I could streamline the clothes (especially DH's).

Right now I'm looking at getting a Heys lightweight carry-on that I can get "free" with my airmiles points or I really like the L.L.Bean wheeled duffle bags.

The HEYS® XCASE® Carry-On Luggage is the world's lightest 20'' carry-on weighing only 5.4 lbs!. So for now on, you can travel with ease! Featuring:

Hard shell with hidden zipper closure

Curved UNO handle system

Inline transparent rollerblade wheels for stability and smooth rolling

Retractable handle curved at 18 degrees for easy pulling

High-gloss finish

DH and I bought a nice Skyway Montage set. Very lightweight and has a good performance record in most of the reviews I read on varous sites.

We got the rolling garment bag at e-bags and 2 rollaboards and tote at HSN - all for about what the garment bad would have cost last year - That's the secret -buy "last year's" model.

Thank you all, for all your replies. I for sure do not want to break the bank, so i really am looking for moderate price luggage. I need to buy 3 rolling bags, probally, 26-27 inch. There are 4 of us traveling, DH, DD, and DS. We really only travel maybe 2-3 times a year. Thanks for all the replies!

Thank you all, for all your replies. I for sure do not want to break the bank, so i really am looking for moderate price luggage. I need to buy 3 rolling bags, probally, 26-27 inch. There are 4 of us traveling, DH, DD, and DS. We really only travel maybe 2-3 times a year. Thanks for all the replies!

If you have a Ross or TJ Max near you, go there and look for luggage, they sometimes have some real bargains (as closeouts, last years, etc). I got my American Tourister 29" and matching 19" carry-on for $50. Not always something you like or your price, but worth looking.

If you came into the luggage store where I work, I'd show you Victorinox Swiss Werks. Not Swiss Gear by Wenger, many people mistake the two. Victorinox has the best warranty.

Even the best cases can be destroyed by airlines, I shudder to think what happens to the contents inside a cheap suitcase, with higher grade stuff, your clothes may stand a fighting chance.

Online luggage outlets are priced the same, or many times higher, than luggage sold almost anywhere else. If you do purchase online, make sure you know what you are buying and try to avoid paying for shipping. Dedicated luggage stores will have the best selection, department stores have just a couple of lines and no trained sales clerks.

Just do a little homework before you buy :)

I was going to recommend the Victorinox but someone beat me to it. It is not the cheapest but it is lightweight and sturdy. Ours has been travelling with us for over five years and is still in extremely good condition.

We have begun to travel with rolling duffles and just one of our Victorinox suitcases to hold the evening wear.

Everything I pack goes in plastic. I have had too many cases sit in the rain waiting to be loaded and I can protect my clothing with a little judicious packing. Duffles for all of their good qualities seem to get wetter than suitcases.

Happy shopping and even happier cruising.

Costco on occasion sells a twin set of semi-hard shell, extremely light weight luggage which the cruise lines and the airlines have tried their best to muck up and so far have not been able to succeed. They sell in a box for approx $100.00 for 2, one 28'' and the other 26" I believe.

Of course, if you know anything about Costco, you know they are only their hit and miss.

We are also big vans of Delsey Helium. It can typically be found on sale at Macy's. Tuesday Morning (Discount Store) is a good place to find it. We've taken ours on many land and cruises trips. It gets dirty but is durable. We have bright blue which makes it easier to locate on the baggage carousel.

Archived