AOS w/Kids - lots of questions

LefNJ

We are scheulded on Adventure of the Seas for Nov 2nd. My DH, MIL, DD (age 7) & DS (age 4). We recently sailed on Carnival with the kids and they loved the camp.

• Anyone have any info on RCCL camp for their age groups?
  • We have a number of port days -- is camp open on those days?
  • I have read that there are many spanish speaking cruisers on this ship b/c it leaves out of San Juan. Has anyone had any issues with kids and/or counselors in camp not speaking English?
  • On Carnival the camp had dinner for the kids where they were able to eat with their friends (rather than us old folks). Does RCCL do the same thing?
  • The RCCL website says that there is in-room babysitting. Has anyone used it? Does the babysitter just sit in the room with the kids while they sleep (at night)?

Some non-camp questions:

Is it cold in the ice skating rink (need to wear sweater, gloves, hat, etc.)?

Do they have all size ice skates? On the RCCL website it looked like they do not have all childrens sizes.

The food in the promenade: is that at an additional charge?

Also, my daugter's birthday is during the cruise. When I made the reservation they mentioned that there would be some decorations in the room on her b-day. Anyone have more info as to what that would be?

Thanks for the info. We are really looking forward to this cruise.

You have to wear long pants to skate, but hats and coats aren't needed!

There is no charge for the cafe promenade food.

If you want decorations, you'll have to order (and pay) for them. They won't do it on their own! Call RCI about arranging it (or bring your own!!!!)

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have any experience in the camp with a 4 year old or an 8 year old? They have been at camp on Carnival. Anyone know if it is similar?

Yes it is similar and the camp is open when in port. My kids are too big but I have heard raves about the program and the counselors will all speak english. My daughter went on the AOS in March and she had very few locals on the ship and that will vary dependent on certain times of the year.

We are scheulded on Adventure of the Seas for Nov 2nd. My DH, MIL, DD (age 7) & DS (age 4). We recently sailed on Carnival with the kids and they loved the camp.

• Anyone have any info on RCCL camp for their age groups?
  • We have a number of port days -- is camp open on those days?
  • I have read that there are many spanish speaking cruisers on this ship b/c it leaves out of San Juan. Has anyone had any issues with kids and/or counselors in camp not speaking English?
  • On Carnival the camp had dinner for the kids where they were able to eat with their friends (rather than us old folks). Does RCCL do the same thing?
  • The RCCL website says that there is in-room babysitting. Has anyone used it? Does the babysitter just sit in the room with the kids while they sleep (at night)?

Some non-camp questions:

Is it cold in the ice skating rink (need to wear sweater, gloves, hat, etc.)?

Do they have all size ice skates? On the RCCL website it looked like they do not have all childrens sizes.

The food in the promenade: is that at an additional charge?

Also, my daugter's birthday is during the cruise. When I made the reservation they mentioned that there would be some decorations in the room on her b-day. Anyone have more info as to what that would be?

Thanks for the info. We are really looking forward to this cruise.

First about AO, yes I have copies of the compasses, The parents of the family board have been trying to collect them for the past year. So click on the link in my signature and see what we have uploaded. There is no AOS, but there are other Voyager class ships, similiar activities.

Adventure Ocean is open on Port Days.

The counselors will speak English perfectly. They also translate for those who cannot.

RCCL does have kid meals together. Usually there are 2 days on a 7 day cruise.

Save the money on In Cabin sitting, just send them to Adventure Ocean. They'll be happier there anyway.

Ice Skating - bring pants AND socks. Yes it's cold in there. Yes they have all sizes.

Food in the promenade is free.

Birthday decorations can be ordered to the cabin. Did it seem like they are offering it for free? If so, that's a great deal. We had to pay for ours.

First about AO, yes I have copies of the compasses, The parents of the family board have been trying to collect them for the past year. So click on the link in my signature and see what we have uploaded. There is no AOS, but there are other Voyager class ships, similiar activities.

I looked at some of the compasses on your site. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

Adventure Ocean is open on Port Days.

The counselors will speak English perfectly. They also translate for those who cannot.

RCCL does have kid meals together. Usually there are 2 days on a 7 day cruise.

Save the money on In Cabin sitting, just send them to Adventure Ocean. They'll be happier there anyway.

I was thinking about late night babysitting when the kids are in bed sleeping (after 10pm) so my husband and I could go out.

Has anyone had any experience with this???

Ice Skating - bring pants AND socks. Yes it's cold in there. Yes they have all sizes.

Food in the promenade is free.

Birthday decorations can be ordered to the cabin. Did it seem like they are offering it for free? If so, that's a great deal. We had to pay for ours.

The RCCL agent that I made the reservation with told me that they would decorate the room for my daughter and did make it seem like it was free. But I am skeptical.

Has anyone else sailed on AOS with kids? What was your experience?

Archived