Free air to Europe, which cruise?

billroddy

The latest HAL Mariner mailing has a couple of trips that are of interest.

Of course, my wife and I have yet to agree on which one... you can understand that after 53 years, can't you?

She likes the 20 day back to back Rome and I like either the 12 day Venice to Barcelona or the reverse. The overnights in Barcelona and Venice seem worthwhile.

Any thoughts?

And should we take HAL's air or get our own.

Thanks,

Bill

The latest HAL Mariner mailing has a couple of trips that are of interest.

Of course, my wife and I have yet to agree on which one... you can understand that after 53 years, can't you?

She likes the 20 day back to back Rome and I like either the 12 day Venice to Barcelona or the reverse. The overnights in Barcelona and Venice seem worthwhile.

Any thoughts?

And should we take HAL's air or get our own.

Thanks,

Bill

I am clueless about your cruise selection. However, as to the flight question I can offer this suggestion. Book the air through the cruiseline. Then watch fares. If you can find a better fare before final payment is due, then cancel the air with the cruiseline and book yourself. Just make sure you arrive at least one day early to port. Two is even better. I have read this suggestion a few times on these boards. Usually people get better fares on their own, but occasionally that cruiseline fare is the best deal.

I am not sure why you titled your post "Free Air" I guess if the air is truly free, then the answer is a no-brainer. Of course you would book the free air.

As attractive as a 20 day B2B would be generally, I've always wanted to sail from Barcelona to Venice - They're both amazing cities and I'd enjoy spending a few days in each pre- and post-cruise.

Free air is from a mailer HAL send to Mariners on many Europe cruises. If you book by June 15, 08 they include air from LA, SF, San Diego, and Seattle. Air taxes and cruise taxes are not included.

Bill

I am not sure why you titled your post "Free Air" I guess if the air is truly free, then the answer is a no-brainer. Of course you would book the free air.

If the air is included and the price is still good, go with it. If they are trying to sock you with $1600 airfare, book on your own.

I didn't have that offer from Princess and they wanted $1600, so I booked on my own and ended up paying $1050 from LAX to Paris/Paris to Rome/Venice to Paris/Paris to LAX. Just be careful to book the whole trip on one ticket, I didn't, so luggage allowance will be 2 bags at 50 lbs each on Air Tahiti Nui for the International flight, but only 1 bag at 44 lbs from Paris to Rome on Air France. We are going to have fun packing for 18 days with only 44 lb allowance.

Another thing to consider, if you take HAL airfare, is that for either cruise? Open jaw flights are usually more (into Barcelona out of Venice) versus the roundtrip flight to Rome. Is the itinarary similar? What ports are you more interested in? You have to consider all angles, then make your own decision as to what you want.

I wanted Rome and Venice as well as the Greek Islands. Grand Princess was the only ship I found offering all, with the bonus of Monte Carlo and Turkey. Planning is half the fun, looking at the exotic ports of call and trying to narrow your decision. Then once that decision is made, off to planning excursions, hotels, etc.

Have fun planning, then taking your trip!

Archived