Booking for next year's hurricane season

spongerob

We went back to back last year during September, though in that case pricing wasn't so much of an issue as our own schedule. Aside from one rough night caused by Fabian, we had stunning sailing conditions and weather in every port. We were aware of the risks, but got lucky. The people sailing the cruise following our disembarkation were switched from eastern to western.

My question might end up being a moot point for us. Unless we had an opportunity to cruise with friends, it is unlikely that we would select those particular itineraries. Even if we did consider cruising during that time of year, I would be less concerned about the cruise itself as I would be just getting to and from Florida. However, if prices for next September are tempting enough, I might have to change my mind.

SPONGEROB - Trying to get to Florida with a hurricane looming is the big problem. Being on board a ship at that time is not much of a problem. The ship's captain stays out of harm's way. So, for those of us living near the ports, bargains during huricane season are a plus. But flight schedules don't always cooperate in those conditions. I think that if I lived somewhere and had to fly to Florida, I might think twice.

OK, Caroline, I'm very jealous of your group, for you DID go East and we got diverted West-I guess for humanitarian reasons with Grand Cayman!

We've cruised 4 times in the Fall, 2 in Sept, and 2, the second week in Oct, and this is the first time we've encountered "weather". It was kind of exciting to see the rolling waves and the water falling out of the pools. We did get the 9 day cruise, also.

Since we live 2 1/2 hours from Port Everglades and drive down, we don't have airport worries.We would gladly book again during Hurricane Season. Lynne

My wife is a teacher and they get a fall break about the first or second week of October. We are leaving Sunday for San Juan and the Golden. This is our second cruise during this time period and so far we have never had a problem. We have been lucky I guess but we will continue to book during October. This time of the year is just perfect for us!

This was our 3rd September cruise in a row... and the first one in which we had problems. I guess the 3rd time *is* the charm! We were on the extended 9/18 Caribbean Princess cruise. Although we loved our cruise and enjoyed the extra days (except for trying to communicate with the outside world, which was very difficult), we've decided not to book in September anymore-- it's just too iffy for us now.

Most of our cruises have all been in September or October, and this year was the first time in 18 years that we had a cruise effected by a hurricane. I don't ever remember a hurricane season like the one this year. So will I cruise during hurricane season, yes.

I answered a question on the "Ask a Cruise Question" board August 30 in which the unfortunate scenario came true: "What I'd worry most about is a hurricane heading for Miami or Fort Lauderdale (or whatever port you're scheduled to leave from). Once I'm safely on the ship, where we go doesn't matter quite as much."

September is out for us since my partner is a CPA and has auditors come to his work then. I'd gladly book a cruise in October, but probably would want to go to New England and Canada again that month. We've been on several cruises in November and December. The weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are our favorites for good deals--plus shopping for presents in the islands. We've had one itinerary change due to hurricane damage to Princess Cays a few weeks before our Thanksgiving cruise on the Golden in 2001.

Hey, Bombero, now that I have your attention, Do you wear your fire uniform or a tux on the cruise?? I am keeping a list!!

I wear a black, or grey suit, and stay suited up all evening if I know what's good for me :D :D . Are you driving over, or taking Cruise Connection?.. Bombero

Your name is Steve? Yes? I am driving over. We are staying at La Quinta/airport. $80 per room for 3 of us. We get to park free for the week. They have a shuttle to the pier every hour Sat, and Sun. Have to grab a cab back to the hotel for a post cruise night!! :)

The thing that I don't understand is people who book -- and pre-pay for -- non-refundable tours on their own during hurricane season. That has me shaking my head. There's a post on another active thread about someone who booked something and now because of the itinerary bypassing some ports and going to new ones, is upset that they're losing their money. Hate to say it but this has me shaking my head.

Your name is Steve? Yes? I am driving over. We are staying at La Quinta/airport. $80 per room for 3 of us. We get to park free for the week. They have a shuttle to the pier every hour Sat, and Sun.

My name is not Steve, although for some reason, most people on CC, have picked up on that name :o. Oh well, I still know who I am :D :D .. Bombero

Archived