Only on ship few hours.....slip..wet floor..ouch

I'm sorry your mom had the accident, but I'm really enjoying reading the posts from the UK. Your countrymen have a different way of expressing themselves than American's do (much cleaner, IMHO) and it's just refreshing to read from a different perspective.

I have a friend from Australia that visits his brother in America every few years. I could just sit and listen to him "talk" for hours! He was also fond of "Southern" accents. He said that we were the only people who can take a 3 letter word - yes - and make it into 3 syllables! Ya-es-s!

Hope your family enjoys the rest of their cruise! :)

Jacquelyn :D

Liz, I'm sending greetings and best wishes for your mother's speedy recovery from DC! I'm so sorry to hear about her accident.

I'm going with my parents on a cruise in November, just after our Thanksgiving holiday. They are in their mid-80's and still mobile but now I'm going to be very careful for them and I guess I'll constantly be nagging them to watch their step - especially around the pool and in the dining room. At their age, any fall could be serious. When I was visiting friends in the UK last winter, my mother managed to fall going UP the steps from the garage into the house and cracked open her head - she's fine now but was mostly mad they made her stay overnight in the hospital. That was not on a moving ship...oh dear! Fortunately, other family members will be with me to watch out for the parents. While I'm sorry for your mother's accident, it did serve the purpose to remind me to be careful.

Also, please know that LOTS of Americans love those of you from the UK! I try to get over to visit at least once a year.

For the rest of you guys who shared slip and fall stories - thanks for sharing. Usually it is me who is the klutz. Now I don't feel so bad!

Well just had text to say,mum and Ray have had to be moved into other cabin as theirs had blocked toilet and bad drains !!!!

Damn! Did they get the same cabin my wife and I were in last August on the Brilliance? We had constant problems with the toilet(in fact, toilets seem to be a problem on both RCCL ships I have been on) while on the cruise... that and poor water pressure/lack of hot water... but they were always quick to fix the problems.

Hope your Mum's feeling better and the fall won't stop her doing what she'd planned in the later ports

How did the cabin move go? Didn't I read somewhere that the steward will help with packing if you have to change cabins? (maybe I'm dreaming!! - but hopefully not)

I'm very impressed that your Mum can text - I've bought my Mum a phone - which she forgets to turn on (not that it matters as she invariably leaves it at home!!)

Well the latest text said-only medical reports will be given-company policy-other reports go to head office after cruise, taken up from there.

Does that sound right guys and gals?

They were in cabin 3548 and have moved to cabin 3538-no word if they were helped or not but I also would think the steward would help,if on duty !!

Mum wasn't able to get online as we are all with aol,I had meant to sign her up for hotmail but in all the rush I didnt get time.

My stepfather managed to text also today,had sent text for his birthday and his phone was in the safe but sent text to mum to tell him to check his messages.For the first few years of having mobiles they never used to have them switched on,but when they took ill in Vegas last year they realised just how important it was to have their mobiles to phone home to me to get them the doctor-thank goodness for insurance eh!

Thanks everyone for the best wishes for mum,I will pass them all on to her.

Liz

Liz,

Good luck with your mum. I know what it is like to not be there to help and sitting home worrying. It's awful! I am sure you mum will be fine (I hope) It's nice to see a daughter so concerned and so compassionate. I lost my sweet mom about a year ago and miss her terribly. Good luck with everything...I will say prayers. :)

Kim

Thanks for your kind message Kim.

I will have to wait till Sunday now before I get any more updates.I really hope she is well enough for Venice next week.

Best wishes

Liz

P.s. I love the picture.....reminded me I need more blue paint for my bathroom waves :D

• 2 weeks later...

Elizanessie:

When they change your cabins, they always help you move. They bring this wheeled cart thingy and put your clothes on it, and help you pack up and take it all ove to the new cabin and help put it away.

Hope she's doing better, and yes, it's common for the medical report to go to the injured party right away, but they don't let you have the Accident Report before the head office has seen it. Then the headquarters deal with it. Lots of slip and fall accidents, and they are usually pretty good about liability, etc.

Wonderful cruise they are on, too. The shore excursions can be lots and lots of scenic drives if they want, to keep Mum off her feet.

Hi everyone

At this moment in time-13.25...mum and stepdad are in Amex lounge in Barcelona airport....probably sound asleep !! I had text at 10am our time to say they were exhausted and in the lounge.They will be home tomorrow as they have flight today to Heathrow then later flight to Glasgow....overnight in hotel before 4 hours drive back home tomorrow......and winter is due to hit tomorrow.

As soon as I can I will update you on mum's accident etc.

Cheers everyone again for help and support :D

Liz

Liz,

Let us know how your mum is doing...I kept checking this thread and didnt see any new posts so I was hoping that was a good sign...I hope your mum is feeling well and your parents get home safely. Keep us posted. :)

Kim :)

Oh and one more thing...what cruise were your parents on? It sounds nice from the couple of ports you mentioned in earlier posts.

Hi Kim

They were on the Brilliance of the seas-12 night cruise on the Med-the cruise with Venice rather than greek islands.It was featured on the Travel Channel earlier this week.....unfortunately in the UK we don't get that channel.

The Med cruises are very port intensive....and quite a few of the ports are 1-2 hours away from the cities people want to see....ie Rome.

Lasy year when we were on the Med it was too hot for us...in the 30s but this time mum had rain and fog and it was rather windy I believe.

I will do an update as soon as I can.......once I find out if mum has any RCCI things for my new wavy.....cruising theme bathroom.I know yes I am addicted to cruising.

If mum puts in a claim for the accident....then what does she claim for....duh I sound dull today but it is Sunday afternoon......hope someone understands what I mean ??

Liz

Hi Kim

They were on the Brilliance of the seas-12 night cruise on the Med-the cruise with Venice rather than greek islands.It was featured on the Travel Channel earlier this week.....unfortunately in the UK we don't get that channel.

The Med cruises are very port intensive....and quite a few of the ports are 1-2 hours away from the cities people want to see....ie Rome.

Lasy year when we were on the Med it was too hot for us...in the 30s but this time mum had rain and fog and it was rather windy I believe.

I will do an update as soon as I can.......once I find out if mum has any RCCI things for my new wavy.....cruising theme bathroom.I know yes I am addicted to cruising.

If mum puts in a claim for the accident....then what does she claim for....duh I sound dull today but it is Sunday afternoon......hope someone understands what I mean ??

Liz

Liz I would think she would claim any medical expenses such as seeing the doc on the ship and anything she would have to pay when seeking medical attention at home. I know a little about this my mom fell on a parking lot (the lot was in bad shape ) she fell and broke both of her legs, fractured her wrist and jaw. She was in the hospital for weeks. All my mom asked for was that all medical exspenses be reimbursed (after insurance paid). It took quite awhile but in the end she was compensated for a portion of the bills. She still had quite a bit out-of pocket. They took partial responsibilty. It's funny because within a couple days the parking lot was fixed.

It was a horrible experience for me because I watched her fall and could do nothing. My poor mom has suffered her whole life and when she just started getting around better ie: no wheelchair this happened. My mom had just turned 60 when she passed away. Sorry i got so deep into it...I cant help it sometimes I miss her so badly. Anyway, good luck with it...get a lawyer if you have any trouble. I'm not the sueing type and niether was my mom just didnt want to pay for something that wasn't her fault. Medical bills can be enormous and my mom had enough on her plate as it was. I hope I helped a little. Keep us posted. :)

Kim

It happened to my Dad on our last cruise...twice! Once in his JS stateroom bath and the other from the tender to the ship.

From the tender, he scraped up his leg pretty good and they wanted to take him to the doctor, but he refused. He didn't go to the doctor with the other either, although he should have. He hit his head and wrist on the marble sink...pump knot on both and also hurt his back. We are really lucky that the bathroom fall didn't kill him. He lost his balance while getting into the shower. There really should be grab bars near the entrance to those showers. Instead, they are on the upper inside and impossible to get to from the outside. He limped around all week from the back hurting and tender accident.

My Dad also fell on a wet surface around the solarium pool on Celebrity last year. Once again, he refused help.

Accidents do happen, and the victim is usually at fault for not being more careful. Also, the ships are good about putting out caution signs. it's just up to the passenger to see them. I have to laugh when I think about all the times I have tripped over those darn caution signs. :o It's a wonder I haven't fallen down. They need to be at eye level...don't you think?

I don't even pack heels for a cruise - everything is flat and, preferably, rubber soled (including my beaded sandals for formal night!)
On my cruise this past July, I wore brand new high heels and preceded to walk the Promenade. I slipped and slid all the way through. On my cruise this past September, I took all flats, including some very cheap beaded slip-ons that I wore under my long black skirt for both Formal nights.

Elizanessie - I do hope your parents had a wonderful trip and all will be alright with your Mums knee.

Please no-one take offense to this .....but why the heck are some on about lawsuits? We in the UK do not sue some at the drop of a hat or a butt on the floor.Now my USA buddies don't go all huffy on me when I say that please :D

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! It's a huge prob. here. Hope mummy gets well soon.

Just to let everyone know that Mum and Ray are home safely......complete with mum's bruises!!

They had just got on to the ship and went to the windjammer for much needed cuppa tea and whoosh went mum through the air and landed I believe hard on her left side.Immediately crew were round about trying to help,the floor had liquid of some kind on it and the "caution"signs were not in place.

Mum said the crew were all helpful and the medical staff were good. One doctor was amazed that mum didnt have any broken bones after such a bad fall........mum is 69 and never been in hospital (apart from giving birth to myself and my brother).

A report has been sent to head office by the ship and mum has a copy of the medical report.

Mum is still in pain on the knee especially and found it painful to drive home.

There were no medical charges.

Undoubtably the fall spoilt her cruise,but how would one prove that? What if anything should she do about it? Would appreciate some advice here folks.

Liz

Liz,

I'm a pharmacist that works with a Long Term Care Center (a.k.a. Nursing Home). You mom may feel she is on the mend, but please insist that she have a complete check up with her family physician, including blood work. Seemingly small accidents can lead to avoidable problems later on if they are not checked out.

My mom is also a "world traveler" just getting back from a Rhine River cruise. At 72 she loves to travel!

Best wishes for your mum to make a full recovery!

Jacquelyn :D

whoosh went mum through the air and landed I believe hard on her left side.Immediately crew were round about trying to help,the floor had liquid of some kind on it and the "caution"signs were not in place.

This reminds me of two weeks ago when my DH and I left the Windjammer. I had a full cup of coffee and spilled a little in the hallaway outside. Knowing that the spill was a hazzard, I stayed near the spill and told DH to go get someone to clean it up. Instead, DH got some napkins and cleaned it himself. I'll bet your mother slipped on something that was spilled by a passenger and the crew was not alerted to the spill.:eek:

Archived