Euro Traveler Cheques

EviesCruisin

Hi,

I've tried to find the answer to this question and have gotten three different answers, so thought I'd check to see if anyone has actual experience with trying to cash euro traveler cheques on board a ship with a European itinerary such as the Emerald Princess.

Will the Purser cash traveler's cheques in the Euro denomination on board? If so, is there a fee associated - and what is the fee?

I have been told:

1) They will cash for a fee by a previous Transatlantic traveler

2) They will cash for free by someone who asked the purser onboard

3) They do not accept or sell euros on board by 1-800-Princess which I don't think is true, since there is a currency exchange available for USD->Euro onboard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:)

Thanks!

Evie

Hi,

3) They do not accept or sell euros on board by 1-800-Princess which I don't think is true, since there is a currency exchange available for USD->Euro onboard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:)

Thanks!

Evie

THEY are actually correct. The pursers desk does not sell Euros, but Princess provides and exchange machine by the Purser's Desk. Euro travelers checks will cost you more than they are worth as they will cash them with the ships rate of exchange, give you back your amount in USD and they you have to take that to the exchange machine (which gives a horrible exchange rate and fees) and then you can exchange them through the machine.

So actually, Princess gave you the best info on this.

Princess has this exchange machine onboard for all foreign sailings that we have seen. But the Pursers Desk deals strictly in USD.

Travelers checks are going to be a big hassle for you in Europe. There is another recent thread on this subject; you might want to search for it.

I would suggest you bring your ATM card to use for getting euros as you need them. There are plenty of ATMs. A credit card or two is also a good idea. We found that AmEx had the lowest service fees at 2% vs 3% for both Visa and MC.

Lew

Travelers checks are going to be a big hassle for you in Europe. There is another recent thread on this subject; you might want to search for it.

I would suggest you bring your ATM card to use for getting euros as you need them. There are plenty of ATMs. A credit card or two is also a good idea. We found that AmEx had the lowest service fees at 2% vs 3% for both Visa and MC.

Lew

Our 19 year old just left for Europe, I went to our local TD bank to get him Euro Travellers Checks and the wonderful teller said pretty much the same thing :)

We ended up buying him couple hundred Euros cash to get him started and then raised his daily limit on ATM card, she showed him what sign to look for at the ATMS to get the lowest if not free fees.

I will never try get Travellers Checks again :)

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately we already bought the travelers cheques, but we can cash them for free at Travelex in the three airports we'll be traveling through, plus nearby the ship (Amex office in Piazza San Marco in Venice). Once we have the cash, we can leave it in the safe and not have to worry about exchanging a little at a time. Just have to "not get robbed" on Day 1 and we will be in good shape.

I agree TC would be a hassle trying to use in shops, restaurants, etc. Our goal is to just get over there and then exchange asap. When we bought them, we believed we could do on the ship for free and this would be safer than ATMs b/c people wouldn't see where you kept your credit card. We thought we were smart for avoiding exchange rates by getting in euros, to find out they charge you twice! Crazy.

We'll keep a few extras for the tours we are taking that accept T.C. for payment. Other than that, sounds like we'll be cashing them out as soon as we can. Travelex cashes for no fee (minimum of $200 euros). Several banks in Europe do as well, but we figure it will be easiest to do at the airport or here at a local bank before we leave.

Thanks all, for your responses.

Evie

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately we already bought the travelers cheques, but we can cash them for free at Travelex in the three airports we'll be traveling through, plus nearby the ship (Amex office in Piazza San Marco in Venice). Once we have the cash, we can leave it in the safe and not have to worry about exchanging a little at a time. Just have to "not get robbed" on Day 1 and we will be in good shape.

I agree TC would be a hassle trying to use in shops, restaurants, etc. Our goal is to just get over there and then exchange asap. When we bought them, we believed we could do on the ship for free and this would be safer than ATMs b/c people wouldn't see where you kept your credit card. We thought we were smart for avoiding exchange rates by getting in euros, to find out they charge you twice! Crazy.

We'll keep a few extras for the tours we are taking that accept T.C. for payment. Other than that, sounds like we'll be cashing them out as soon as we can. Travelex cashes for no fee (minimum of $200 euros). Several banks in Europe do as well, but we figure it will be easiest to do at the airport or here at a local bank before we leave.

Thanks all, for your responses.

Evie

Next time think about the ATMs. So much easier and they are everywhere. I use my Credit Union debit card and get the best rate with a minimum fee. Those Exchange ATMs on the ships are horrible rates. They give you a horrible exchange rate and tack on the big fee on top.

Archived