Need a buddy for weight loss

Hi everyone. I weighed myself this a.m. and haven't lost anything...I'm actually UP a pound! That surprised me because I've been working my tail off, sort of spring cleaning my daughter's condo. No dinner last night as we went to a lacrosse game, then to a restaurant after at 9:30 p.m. and it was closed for diners! Had Spanish Coffee, popcorn at the game and a hot chocolate. Pathetic.

On to better days....

I woke up with Taco Salad on my mind....planning for a family dinner (Wednesday). The Taco Salad I made for my family/kids in the 80's and 90's wasn't all that artistic or healthy with the crunched-up Doritos in it, so I had another idea this a.m.

How does this sound.....

2009 Taco Salad

(I'm going to figure out quantities as I go today and will re-post the recipe if anyone is interested.)

fresh baby spinach leaves

romaine

diced tomatoes (romas or grape tomatoes left whole)

frozen corn, thawed

black olives

red onion, sliced thin

beans, drained (I want to try any variety besides kidney or pinto but will us pinto if that's my only resort)

Monterey Jack cheese, shredded or Co-Jack (about an ounce per serving)

rub chicken breasts with a combo of taco seasoning blended with brown sugar (a small amount of sugar), pan-fry in a little oil until quite brown, set aside and cool, then slice

lime vinaigrette (homemade...looking for a recipe today)

Spray flour tortillas or corn tortillas with flavored Pam, cut into thin strips, sprinkle with butter-flavored salt, baked at 350 until crispy.

I'd arrange this on the plate by combining the veggies, layering sliced chicken over them, sprinkle the cheese over the chicken, sprinkle the crispy tortillas on the chicken and cheese, then leaving the dressing on the table.

I think this salad would be great with the cold watermelon gazpacho soup that I found on the boards....a warm corn muffin on the side....yum!

If anyone thinks I could lighten it up any more, please advise. Doesn't this seem healthier than the original with the heavy thousand island that is loaded with calories, the Doritos, the sour cream?

Hi Dar, I don't come by here often anymore but thought I'd see what you all are up to.

I like the taco salad idea. My favorite beans are black beans. I just love them. Not to big, not to small.

I'd also leave out the sugar with the chicken. And maybe slice the chicken first them mix it with the seasoning so each piece has lots of flavor.

I bake tortillas for soup. I just slice into strips and bake. The come out nice and crispy. No need for added oil or salt. I usually use corn but my favorite are those ones that are jalapeno, tomato & basil. There's different flavors and they taste really good.

Quick update on me. I gained 3lbs while my mom was sick, end of Feb beginning of March. I spent some time staying with her and my eating wasn't so bad but with no exercise. I'm ok with it. I'm at 120 and holding there. Now that it's nicer out and light in the mornings I am running outside again. Doing just over 2mi right now. Hopefully will be up to 3 soon. We also bought a bowflex so I've been doing that 3 days a week. I think this is my 4th week. Hoping for some sexy arms for summer!

Glad to see the thread picking up again and that you are all still working on being healthier.

Erin, I'm jealous that your going on another cruise! Enjoy it! You've worked hard in school so you deserve a break.

Gladys, I'm glad to hear you & DH are still working towards making your marriage work. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Amy, are you drinking enough water with the extra fiber you're getting? Always up your fiber intake slowly so your body has time to adjust.

I get about 30plus grams of fiber a day. Drink lots of water plus green tea. Exercise. and I am still not regular. I'm for sure good for once a week. Usually twice. Three times it's like wow what's going on?!

I don't feel bloated though or constipated. So I think this is just my normal.

If you are feeling bloated then that's not good. Also watch yor sodium intake. It's in so much of what we eat. I know I've told you all before but I'm going to say it again. If you want to count calories or be able to track carbs, protein, sugars, sodium, fats. myfitnesspal.com is very user friendly. In fact when I started tracking that's when I found out how much fiber I was taking in. I didn't think I was getting much and was trying to supplement it with metamucil. What a mistake. I was way over! Talk about uncomfortable.

Ok enough of my rambling. Your probably thinking she doesn't ever post and then she comes on and writes a book!

Kelly

Great suggestions, Kelly. I usually do chicken breasts with the sugar and chili powder for a particular recipe. For this one, I can skip the sugar because the lime/cilantro dressing will already be sweet. Great suggestion! I'll try baking the tortilla strips and cutting the chicken up as you suggested.

I love black beans, too but thought they might disappear with the black olives in the mix....we'll see what the store carries.

Dressing: cilantro, lime, orange, jalapeno, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic, and a small amount of olive oil.

And what time is dinner? I need to allow myself enough travel time!

Had planned some yard work today but it's raining. So here I sit playing on the computer. Have some errands to run later. I have a wall in my BDR I wan to paint and the hall plus 2 closets in the hall. But I don't have the paint and since it will take more than one day and tomorrow is filled with other things I'll just take advantage of the break the rain is giving me.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am trying to loose weight, I have tried about everydiet since turning 40 when the pounds seemed to start packing on, and none have worked. I have a month supply of nutrisystem in the spare bedroom! I do have a back injury but can't let that be my excuse. I am currently doing medifast but not the "correct" way to start. Since my depresing 45th B'day on 4-23-09, I started a bottle of wine that night and finsished it the next - I have been sans alcohol and doing 5 medifast meals a day. I started at 184...I am currently at 167.5. I have not added had the lean and green meal yet, but will next month. My goal weight is 117. I have a 4day crusie June 21, and another 9 day Nov 21, want ot be at goal by then. Has anyone been sucessful dieting while on a cruise, or at least not gained....? thanks

gail

New to the board and in the same boat as everyone else....trying to drop the weight. I've started counting calories, watching what I eat and drinking a ton of water but it is so difficult to do working shift work! I'm going to the gym 4 or 5 days a week doing a spin class and weight lifting class. Because of the weight lifting I try to not pay attention to the scales since muslce mass makes the scales go up, instead I measure inches. In the week and a half I've been "being good" I've lost 1 inch in my waist! My goal is 4 more inches before our cruise in August.

SW: 146

LW: 144

CW: 144

GW: 133

S. WAIST: 37

C. WAIST: 36

G. WAIST: 32

Hey everyone, Hope you are all doing well. Sorry I haven't been here in SO long!! Since my mom had her brain surgeries in Dec things have been crazy around here. I am recomitting today, I pulled out all the WW stuff. I think the last time I weighed in on here I was about 175, so here are my stats today, I am using the starting weight from when I started last year.

SW 182

LW 175

CW 176.6

As you can see I am close to the same weight, so at least I didn't gain alot but I really need to loose. I am still going to the gym but I have to start going more often.

WE went to New Orleans a few weeks ago, to the jazz fest there, it was great. We went with a bunch of friends. We also booked 2 cruises, one this Nov. over Thanksgiving on the Carnival Legend and one next Nov. on the CArnival Inspiration, so that should give me incentive to diet.

My oldest graduates HS on 5/29 and we are planning a big party on the 30th. My youngest turns 13 this Thursday, time sure does fly!!

WEll, I am going to try and check in here daily and be more accountable.

Connie

Hi Everyone,

I hope you all are doing great. I haven't been on here in ages. Nothing has changed with me. Still going to the gym, cardio and machines daily. I have noticed I am able to eat a little more food once in a while. I do continue to make healthy choices. I realize this is a life change not a diet.

Here is my weigh-in.

Start Date 7-21-08

SW: (start weight) 285

LW: (last weigh-in) 206

CW: (current weight) 200

GW: (goal weight) 199

well made i through the holiday without breaking diet once. Had a BBQ at brother's and he made "slim burgers" just for me and was hurt that i wouldn't even eat those....but i held strong and feel better for doing it. Starting to notice a waistline again, and other changes in body. That's a motivator !!

gail

I made it through the holiday weekend as well...of course I worked all weekend so I didn't have to worry about cookouts! I've lost another 1/2 inch in my waist and have started noticing some shorts and capris getting big on me! A swimsuit I ordered three weeks ago came in and fits perfectly which means if I keep losing weight it'll be too big...guess'll I'll be buying another one!

WOW... Scott 1 lb away from your goal, AMAZING!

Not sure what I recorded my last weight on here as...

SW: 166

LW: 159?

CW: 156.4

GW: 146?

My goal fluctuates, but ideally I would really like to drop under 150 and hold there!!!

Doing the WW online and going to the gym. Crazy work schedule lately and will not calm down until July so I have only been making the gym once or twice a week, so balancing the food versus my usual gym routine has been a struggle but I am making it work.

WOW... Scott 1 lb away from your goal, AMAZING!

Not sure what I recorded my last weight on here as...

SW: 166

LW: 159?

CW: 156.4

GW: 146?

My goal fluctuates, but ideally I would really like to drop under 150 and hold there!!!

Doing the WW online and going to the gym. Crazy work schedule lately and will not calm down until July so I have only been making the gym once or twice a week, so balancing the food versus my usual gym routine has been a struggle but I am making it work.

Thanks! That last lb may never come off. Here is an update. I went from a 44 waist Jean to a 34 waist. I went from a 2xl-3xl shirt to a large. I hope to be able to post a before and after pic. It doesn't look like very many people post on here anymore.

You are so close to being under that 150. Just keep working at it. You will get there.

Hi everyone. I can see there are only a couple people on here now. I guess I am going to have to find a board that can help me keep motivated to maintain. I finally made it!

Here is my weigh-in.

Start Date 7-21-08

SW: (start weight) 285

LW: (last weigh-in) 200

CW: (current weight) 198

GW: (goal weight) 199

Yeah Scott!!!! Almost 100lbs in under a year.... you are such an inspiration. I am still here and need you to motivate me! I think you are incredible!

Three cheers for Scott!!!:D:D:D

Thank You very much. Now if I can figure out how to post my before and after pic.

Scott-- CONGRATS!!! that is SO exciting! I would love to see before and after pics! :D:D:D

Amy, I'm glad to see that you are still on here as well. I haven't been on much, I posted a review from my cruise and have spent a lot of time studying- I take the Nursing Boards June 12th, then start my new job June 15th provided that I pass!!

I did get back down to my pre-cruise weight (174) but have not lost any more. I'm doing a lot of nervous nibbling while studying... but other than that doing great! :)

Hi guys....Just a quick check-in. I'm actually out-of-town, online in a nice hotel in Chicago. I thought I'd check the board and realized that I am not receiving notifcations in my e-mail, when posts are made. I thought no one was here anymore!

I want to keep checking in and hope to find some inspiration because I'm not doing well at all lately. I'm in a rut and having a hard time getting inspired to get out, despite many good reasons for doing so. Food, food, everywhere. We ate at a Brazillian restaurant called Fogo de Chao last night and tonight is a dinner hosted by a couple who live in the John Hancock building. The husband is a good cook and a former caterer. This ought to be interesting & fun...but the food issue is always a problem for me. I ate a lot last night and decided to skip breakfast and lunch today and will have that special dinner tonight.

I see that Scott has reached his goal! Fantastic! Scott....I'll look forward to seeing your before & after photos. Maybe that will help me find some inspiration. I know that you stuck to a pretty rigid plan...how did you manage to do that? Did you avoid socializing for the past year? I'm seriously wondering. I get tempted to just announce to the world that I am going to hole-up and take care of my own self for a year, but for a mother of six adults, with friends and grandkids, that is pretty unlikely.

I wanted to come to the site to be honest and hope the honesty isn't discouraging to anyone. This is supposed to be a place to get encouraged, I realize. When I haven't had anything good to report, I haven't wanted to show up.

I hope the rest of you are doing well. I think I need to a new plan of attack but really don't know what it will be. Here in the US, diet is an industry and there are a plethera of plans to choose from. I guess back to portion control for me? Planning an attack...strategizing...etc.????

Thank You very much. Now if I can figure out how to post my before and after pic.

Scott....I opened a "my space" account where I loaded some photos, then was able to link to them or insert them into posts here. I first scanned them into my computer or you can upload them from your digital camera, if you use one. From there, to a webpage, to here.

Lets see if this works.

Wow! :eek:WOW! :eek:WOW!!!!:eek:

I had to yank my hubby away from the tennis match on tv to show him your before & after photos.

You have totally transformed your outward appearance and that is amazing! You look great. :D

Scott, You are a totally different person! I bet you feel so good both emotionally and physically. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I know that because you've done this in a healthy way you will have success in keeping the weight off.

I hope that you will share your story with many because I'm sure it will inspire them to not only lose weight but to become healthier.

again, CONGRATS! enjoy the new you!

Kelly

Archived