Randy's happy horses

pkrchkr

Have you tried the Mazatlan Port of Call board? Lots of info about Randi over there. I do know that she gets great reviews here on the boards. I have not read about anyone having a bad experience with her. We did Mexican Riviera on our first cruise 4 years ago, so I was reading on the Mazatlan boards a lot back then.

You can book via the website. Payment is made in Cash when you complete the tour. You should get email confirmation back from Randi. If not, just email her and she will respond. Very good tour!!!! Highly recommend riding with Randi.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Tina,

Glad we finally get to see Randi again. I was concerned about New Year's Day but she said she would be there - as well as Victor's opening up for the tour people. I asked Randi but she would not say - what are some of the things she likes from "the States". Rye bread was one I know.

Hi Karen - you will have a great time. We celebrated New Year's on the Pride a couple of years ago. It was a blast!!! Nothing like being on the ocean on a ship when he blows the whistle at midnight. They served us champagne all week long, it seemed! I wonder if Ronrythm is going again... he is a regular on the New Year's cruise on the Pride. Great guy!

She likes rye bread with the seeds, sharp cheddar, Smarties candies (just about any candy really!) - stuff like that. Mostly the rye bread & cheese. She just can't get those and she likes to make patty melts. :)

Have a fab time!!!

We just booked our flights to Hawaii - :eek: I thought we paid alot and then they went up another $100 pp the following week! Airfare is outrageous! And now DD decides that she wants to get married on a cruise ship in February. So, we might be taking a shorty on the Elation then... it was NEXT Feb, but she called tonite to say they want to move it up. Sheesh!! What's the rush!

I haven't been on the Mexican Riviera boards recently - just happened to pop in and saw another thread about Randi. :)

Had a great time last week w/ Randi's group. DD could not ride a fast horse (due to recent surgery), so they gave her a "slow" horse Others with more expreience got horses that enjoyed running on the beach. It was beautiful riding on the sand at the waters edge. There were 24 on the ride with us.

Randi met us just outside the port building, sitting under an umbrella among some souvenier shops.

She then arranged for 3 truck/cabs to take us to the dock for the water taxi, then there were 3 more trucks at the other side to drive us to the corral. After the ride we stopped at Victor's for a shrimp lunch. We likes the garlic shrimp and the peel and eat (cold) shrimp. We thought the garlic shrimp was better than the shrimp the nite before in the dining room on the Vision!

I am so encouraged to hear that there is a good riding experience in Mazatlan with Randi - my impression after riding at a different place in Mazatlan was that I would just not ride again in Mexico because I felt so guilty the whole time I was riding there. We went to Hacienda las Moras and I felt the horses were in poor condition. I think an American vet should take a look before too many cruise ship passengers go - I wonder how they screen the trips. Our horses were very thin, seemed desperate to eat, and a few had saddle sores. Some did not have shoes - maybe ok for the beach, but we were on a ranch and there were sharp rocks, on which a few horses stumbled and caught themselves. My daughter saw a horse lying in the field apparently dead, which was able to rise when she approached it, and later learned it had gotten a worming shot - I imagine in our country the horse would be kept stabled until it recovered. My son saw dead horses and skeletons at the ranch's dump. I ended up just feeling terribly guilty about the whole thing, and feeling so sorry for the poor horse having to carry me as I talked it along, and also feeling kind of culturally insensitive, just uncomfortable all around. Does anyone have suggestions for communicating to Disney about this? I don't know much about horses at all, but if even I, an inexperienced rider, felt they were not in good condition I wonder what a vet would think. Otherwise, the ranch was nice, but the condition of the horses really made me feel bad about the overall experience.

SueEllen, that is so sad to have horses treated like that. Randi loves horses - before she moved to Mazatlan she rode horses here in Northern Ca. They are her babies and she is so proud when a new one is born. If you get a chance to ride with her take it. Noticed your name includes Napa. I was born in Napa and lived there all my life until 1 1/2 years ago when we moved to Cordelia.

Can anyone tell me how long the actual ride is? If one hasn't ridden for many years (20) is it likely to leave me in pain for the rest of my cruise? I don't mind a bit of stiffness but don't want to ruin the rest of the week.

The length of the ride is based on the group. Tony & Maria are great as knowing when the group is done. However, if you are finished before the rest of the group is, someone will ride back with you. Never a worry. You never have to ride longer than you want. :)

Unless things have changed.... it is $45 pp. That includes transportation to & from the dock and one beverage at Victor's. It does NOT include lunch at Victor's... but the prices of lunch are very reasonable. You can find a menu in my pics below in my signature for the 01/2008 Pride.

Unless things have changed.... it is $45 pp. That includes transportation to & from the dock and one beverage at Victor's. It does NOT include lunch at Victor's... but the prices of lunch are very reasonable. You can find a menu in my pics below in my signature for the 01/2008 Pride.

Awesome, thanks again!

• 1 month later...

I just sent an email to reserve a tour with Randi's!

It will be the first time we have ever done a "non-ship" tour, but it seems like they provide good service and I have yet to read about any problems meeting up with them or getting back to the ship on time, etc....

While a bit nervous, we took the plunge into the world of "non-ship" excursions with this one, and are really looking forward to it.

We are "city-folk", so riding horses will be quite the treat for us, and Randi's comes well-recommended on this site and others.

ONE QUESTION: When Randi's brings you back to the ship after the tour, is there still enough time to go into town to shop or look around, or is it too far away? Looks like they return about 2:30, and the ship (NCL STAR) leaves at 5. Always like to get at least one souvenir from each port!

Thanks!

:)

Archived