NCL Star stern suites info

shadowfox7

I have been planning a cruise on the Star for some time now and been confused by all the various descriptions and photos of the stern suites.

I don't recall anyone mentioning the various themes these staterooms have. I know everyone has their own taste and I'm not here to judge. Just for me, I'm not sure if I could stand a Zebra or Leopard theme cabin for 8 days that cost me $4000. After a hard year of working I' ready for something soothing.

(While I'm thinking about it does anyone have any recommendation for which ship has the most soothing suites priced in the $2k/person range? Maybe we can start a separate thead for this subject.)

Anyway I did some research on these cabins and I hope this information is helpful for others.

DECK 8

#8670 ZEBRA THEME

#8672 LEOPARD THEME

#8170 SOUTH BEACH (ART DECO) THEME

#8170 VERSACE THEME

DECK 9

#9736 LEOPARD THEME

#9232 VERSACE THEME

#9236 SOUTH BEACH (ART DECO) THEME

#9732 ZEBRA THEME

DECK 10

pending

Regarding the aft suites on the Star, I have a few pictures of 8670, 8672, and 8172, if anyone is interested. I haven't been successful at posting them anywhere, so just e-mail me at zimjb@comcast.net if you would like me to send them to you.

shadowfox7, thanks for posting your findings on these cabins. Could your final entry in the Deck 8 column be 8172 instead of 8170? I am trying to place the descrption with the picture and it seems that either of the two that you have for 8170 would fit.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone had a website where you could look up a particular cabin and see a picture of that exact cabin and read the specs? I believe there was one for the Norway, as most every cabin was different.

As to my favorite suites, I thought the suites on the Norwegian Spirit were exceptional. Classy, unique, interestingly furnished, etc. Something special that I have not seen on any other ship. Lots of wood, sculptures, interesting (bold) tile work in the bathrooms, separate alcoves for the beds, large paintings, etc. There are also full windows in the showers and above the bath tub! What a great view (maybe from either direction;) ). Each one is unique, some with geographic themes, such as the Thailand suite, etc. A challenge with the Spirit, though, since they are not cookie cutter versions of each other, is to find the one that appeals to you most. Sagittarius would suit me fine:) . (Also, I can't find a site that lists the Spirit cabin numbers with their titles, ie. Shanghai suite).

Here is a slide show that has a few shots of some of the suites. I have some images, too, but I believe they are mini-movies on my digital camera.

http://164.109.173.140/spirit_slideshow/

Regarding the Spirit in general...she exhibits a lot of vibrant colors, which some might not find particularly "soothing".:D I think she is beautiful, though.

I thought the suites on the Diamond and Sapphire Princess could qualify as soothing, with muted pastel colors and white furniture--no busy patterns,etc., but similar to a nice, mainstream hotel. I think the suites are all fairly similarly decked out, so you might not have to research each one!!

I didn't get to see any of the suites on one of my favorite ships, the Norwegian Sun. I can definitely recommend the ship in general, but don't have the details on the suites.

Sorry if this reply is "all over", but I don't have time right now to get everything all organized, thought-wise:) . Just a quick hit and run CC post:) .

thanks for catching my error on deck 8 Zimmerjulie. It should read #8172 South Beach Theme and #8170 Versace. Thanks also for your great pic's and info.
OK, I'm in 8172 in two weeks. What IS a "Southbeach" theme anyway? (Relieved it's not Zebras anyway LOL).

okay, to add some confusion:p , when I visited and photographed 8672, there were NO leapoards or anthing leopard-like to be found!! Maybe they put on the wrong bedspread that day???:)

Actually the zebra room was my favorite of the 3 I saw. (8670, 8672, 8172). The bedspread was the zaniest, but the wall art appealed to me more than the others, and the blue chair with the writing in the fabric print was cool.

Oppgard,

My parents are in that cabin, I believe after you are sailing. Please let us know what you thought about it. We especially are wondering about the balcony deck, it looks like it wraps a bit around the back, a little extra deck!

Hope so, as we have a party of 7 that plan on being in THEIR suite ALOT!!

Pam

• 4 weeks later...
I have been planning a cruise on the Star for some time now and been confused by all the various descriptions and photos of the stern suites.

I don't recall anyone mentioning the various themes these staterooms have. I know everyone has their own taste and I'm not here to judge. Just for me, I'm not sure if I could stand a Zebra or Leopard theme cabin for 8 days that cost me $4000. After a hard year of working I' ready for something soothing.

(While I'm thinking about it does anyone have any recommendation for which ship has the most soothing suites priced in the $2k/person range? Maybe we can start a separate thead for this subject.)

Anyway I did some research on these cabins and I hope this information is helpful for others.

DECK 8

#8670 ZEBRA THEME

#8672 LEOPARD THEME

#8170 SOUTH BEACH (ART DECO) THEME

#8170 VERSACE THEME

DECK 9

#9736 LEOPARD THEME

#9232 VERSACE THEME

#9236 SOUTH BEACH (ART DECO) THEME

#9732 ZEBRA THEME

DECK 10

pending

Having never stayed in a cabin at the rear of the ship, I'm wondering how noisy they are. Is there a lot of engine noise and vibration?

Having never stayed in a cabin at the rear of the ship, I'm wondering how noisy they are. Is there a lot of engine noise and vibration?
I just returned from 8 days in 8172 (the Art Deco theme). There was no engine noise. We had quite a few nights of very rough seas and the motion was never uncomfortable. The vibration was minimal, though of course in a moving vessel there is always some noise of ceiling tiles and fittings moving, but nothing enough to keep me awake or be annoying.

• 3 months later...

Ater going back and forth between Romance/Penthouse/BA cabins aft we finally decided on an aft Deck 8 BA cabin (8676) for the 4/6/05 STAR sailing.

Actually none were available when we started looking to book and were going to take a Romance Suite when all of a sudden this one BA cabin became available (thank you to whom ever took an upgrade!!!!!!!!). As Latitude members we also got a fantastic price...way below anyone else could offer.

FLASH: NCL called this morning to offer us an upgrade to a Romance Suite. We decided not to take it as it was on Deck 10 and after viewing the photos and reading discussions there really isn't that much difference. I can spend the extra on stocking up the bar :)

We are glad to save the extra $$$ and we really wanted to be as low on the water as possible. The movement is less than way up high. Also we wanted the privacy of a full overhead without anyone looking down on us while we enjoyed mimosas in our birthday suits ;) . Decks 9 and 10 don't have that cover. Even though the balcony is not as deep as the decks above it is the same depth as other BA's but wider giving us a great panoramic view.

I will take lots of photos and measurements of this cabin for all you future cruisers.

• 3 weeks later...

Never say never I suppose...Well NCL sure must want me to upgrade.:eek: After a 5th offer in a month for an ugrade I finally took their offer for a AD Romance Suite on the stern of Deck 10. We really just wanted to keep our BA on the stern of deck 8 but after figuring extra cost for champagne, which is included in the Romance Suite plus other goodies like cavier etc...and having breakfast each morning and dinners (both are full menus) in our room on a regular table out on the deck, first tender option in port, etc...I figured it was worth $200 per person.

Happy cruising who ever gets our original BA stern cabin!

Archived