Discount book with the HOHO in Barcelona

Here's what I could find on their web site:

leaflet with discounts coupons valid at the main monuments, and also at a number of selected shops in the City.

So, it's probably a Euro discount on the main sites.

The difference between the HOHO and taxi is you aren't going to get the guided tour audio, since most Barcelona taxi drivers speak VERY little English. The HOHO is 20 Euros per person, and you can buy online in advance.

Here's the HOHO home page: http://www.barcelona-on-line.es/eng/reserves/bus_turistic.htm

And, here's info on the taxi rates. Basically, a 2 Euro minimum, and around 1 Euro per kilometer:

http://www.taxibarcelona.cat/tabid/2580/Default.aspx

Thank you Peggy. For anyone who knows Barcelona, here is the schedule of needed taxis for our trip:

Tuesday:

The Cathedral to Montjuic

Montjuic back to the Cathedral

Wed:

Cathedral to Sagrada Familia

Sagrada Familia to Parc Guell

Parc Guell to Casa Mila

Casa Batllo back to the Cathedral

Look at these routes/distances, do you think it would be more cost effective to take taxis or use the hoho bus? I think that for Tuesday a taxi would be ok, but at the same time it's not much more for a two day ticket on the bus.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

These are the discounts listed on the website:

http://www.tmb.net/en_US/turistes/busturistic/descomptes.jsp

Those discounts are pretty much what I thought they would be: about 1 Euro equivalent.

natesfirewife: what you miss between stops is the narrative about the history and what you are seeing in between. All I can say is we thoroughly enjoyed the HOHO bus in Barcelona, sitting on top. It's a lovely city, and the top of the bus gives you a great view of the streets and buildings. I vote for the 2 day bus pass for the better experience. Plus the discounts are pretty good if you use several of them.

We are going on the 24 May Emerald Princess (so have to stop reading this site, have things to do!). Depends how to save money, sort of penny-wise, pound-foolish, not worth the effort.

We found that by spending 3 nights in Barcelona and Venice we would have some time to absorb the experience, rather than a fleeting moment. Have been warned about the size of hotel rooms and also did not want to be dependent on restaurants because of health issues and unwilling to eat consistently large meals (I mean, we will be on a cruise after, before, and have scheduled meals in Ravello, Istanbul, and Cape Sounion on tours), and have been spoiled by the large space of private apartments that can come at 1/5th the charge of a prime hotel room (here are two main financial and one health benefit).

I think that we have Barcelona figured out, with an apartment just above/looking at Ciutadella Park. We arrive Wednesday morning, cab to apartment, buy some heavy or fragile food items for breakfast/light dinner; plan most meals near where we are already (maybe one night seafood at Barceloneta, a reasonable walk from apartment). If jet lag is of minimal concern, will walk to Picasso Museum and buy artickets @ 20 euros (designed for 3-day use, but if you go to 4/7, a significant savings).

As posted elsewhere, if you have two full days, on Thursday morning we walk to bus touristic at zoo and buy 2-day pass (second day is 6euros). Our plan is to visit also Casa Mila, Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, and Fundacio Joan Miro (and get off anywhere else that we are drawn to, depending on crowds and weather).

My thought is that by now, your hotel and restaurant expenses may be fixed, and you should enjoy yourself, period. If at least 2 full days, at least take blue and red routes sitting as weather allows. My hope is that others who have spent 2+ days in Barcelona pre-/post-cruise provide their experiences.

Good luck,

David

The HOHO bus can be very crowed with very long lines, especially at La Familia and Parc Guell. We started the day with the HOHO but by noon abandoned it in favor of taxis. Much faster.

I had heard about the long lines and the crowds and to me, I'd rather pay a little extra to skip that part of it. We will miss sitting on the top of the bus to see everything but at the same time, we'll get where we're going that much faster.

Thanks so much for all your help. :)

I'm also interested to hear about the lines......as we're leaving in a few weeks and are deciding whether to purchase the HOHO tickets. We really don't want to sit on "top" in the direct sun for over 2 hours so we are leaning towards just taking a taxi to the area and then walking.

You will driving around many tree lined streets and boulevards. Barcelona has a lot of shade along the streets, and sitting on top with a hat on that you would use on a windy day will do fine. We have hats with chin straps.

Just so you know.

Thank you for the information regarding sitting on top of the HOHO. My DH isn't suppose to be in the sun for long periods of time so if there is shade periodically with sunscreen and a hat it may work out.

Thank you for the information regarding sitting on top of the HOHO. My DH isn't suppose to be in the sun for long periods of time so if there is shade periodically with sunscreen and a hat it may work out.

I have the same problem, and with a good hat and high SPF he shouldn't have a problem. I even go one of those thingys you put on your hat that drapes down the back of your neck, so when I am out for an unknown time, I just wear that.

Have fun!!!

At what time of year did you encounter the long lines?

December 07. We had no problem getting on at the Chris Columbus statue (the nearest get-on stop to the port), but it got more and more crowded the closer we got into the city. We abandoned the HOHO at La Familia, took a taxi to Las Rambals, had a Sangeria, and walked back to the statue to catch the shuttle to the port. THAT was a nightmare and next time will take a taxi to the ship, not the shuttle.

December 07. We had no problem getting on at the Chris Columbus statue (the nearest get-on stop to the port), but it got more and more crowded the closer we got into the city. We abandoned the HOHO at La Familia, took a taxi to Las Rambals, had a Sangeria, and walked back to the statue to catch the shuttle to the port. THAT was a nightmare

and next time will take a taxi to the ship, not the shuttle.

I guess that prepurchasing of such tickets from the US when you can buy them when you enter the bus, then, is a problematic idea. Considering that December is the off season (maybe however fewer buses run) long lines a problem -- also use for a limited number of hours when you ship is in port at Barcelona may not be optimal? Weather is different for different months -- today is Wednesday, Friday and Saturday have rain predicted (sitting on top?). If weather is bad, the inside of museums may all of a sudden seem like a great idea for the outdoorsman!

Anybody done Barcelona late May and want to share their experiences here?

Good luck,

David

Hi David. I'll preface this response with we were not on a cruise and had unlimited time to spend. We were in Barcelona for a week last June...wore hats, sunglasses and sunscreen...had no problem on the top deck of the HOHO bus. Our kids loved it. It was great to have the narrative along the ride. My son still refers to Gaudi as 'that guy who got hit by the train' (which he picked up from the bus narrative). The only place we encountered a wait to reboard the bus was at La Sagrada Familia. I think we waited for around 15 minutes for the next bus. It was not hot, and the wait did not bother us; however, we were not pressed for time. The guys who ran the buses seemed to be well organized at the stops and had walkie talkies to communicate with drivers, alerting them to numbers of people waiting to reboard so they could ensure they had enough room. La Sagrada was by far the busiest stop on the route based on our three days of riding. One thing I noticed while we were waiting for the bus at La Sagrada...there was a couple (who looked clearly Spanish) standing with an open map acting as if they were lost. The guys working the HOHO stop were clearly upset as apparently, they (the Spanish couple) were pickpockets trying to distract members of the line as we waited. The HOHO guys walked up and down the line and told everyone to watch their wallets and belongings. Ditto for Las Ramblas- watch your pockets. I know this is standard for big city travel but what surprised us was how blatant it was. We didn't take taxis at all- largely because we speak very little Spanish and prefer to walk as much as possible. Have a great time.

Archived