Our very first (and last) Disney Cruise

DVC Mike

Well, we’re back from our 4-night cruise on the Disney Wonder (April 27 – May 1). It was our very first cruise and, as explained below, will probably be our very last cruise as well.

We drove down to Port Canaveral on Saturday, Apr 26 and checked into the Radisson Resort at the Port. We had booked a regular room, but were upgraded for free to a suite with a whirlpool tub. It was nice.

Sunday morning, we take the free shuttle to the DCL terminal. Since we go there a bit early, we had to wait a few minutes. We left our baggage and proceeded to security. We were the first ones to check in.

We get onboard and eat a nice lunch at Parrot Cay. Our Category 5 Deluxe Stateroom with Verandah was ready at 1:30 (Stateroom #7568). Although much smaller than a DVC Studio, it was nicer and roomier than we expected.

Viruses seem to get a lot of attention when it comes to cruising, as there are warnings posted in your stateroom about frequently washing your hands, and disinfecting wipes are handed to every guest as they enter the dining areas, and are available almost everywhere. We were given a “Stomach Flu Advisory” when we checked in. I read that getting a virus happens to about 1-2% of the guests on every cruise, so we both used disinfectant wipes.

My wife, who experiences motion sickness a lot (she got really sick on Soarin’), took Bonine (Meclizine) and also wore the Scopolamine transdermal patch, and did very well.

Our dining rotation was PTTA (Parrot Cay, Triton’s twice, and Animator’s Palate) -- second dining (8:30pm). We had booked reservations for Palo on the night we were to repeat Triton’s, and brunch at Palo on the sea day.

We had scheduled a Couples Cabana Massage on Castaway Cay and the Elemis Aroma Stone massage for both of us at the Vista Spa.

We were excited and looking forward to a romantic and relaxing cruise!

At 1:00 pm on Monday (the second day of the cruise), my wife became very ill. The symptoms, which included vomiting and diarrhea, came upon her very quickly. She became very weak and needed fluids.

We contacted the onboard Medical Center as directed by the “Stomach Flu Advisory” form and they asked her to come down. She was finally strong enough to make her way down to deck 1 around 4:30pm. They gave her an IV and medication to treat her symptoms.

They then informed us that my wife was restricted to her stateroom for 48 hours (not from when she first became ill, but when she came to the Medical Center). That meant she would be stuck in her stateroom until the night before we disembark the ship – practically the entire cruise.

She missed dining at Triton’s and Animator’s Palate. She missed visiting Castaway Cay (which is what she was looking forward to the most) and the Couples Cabana Massage. She missed brunch at Palos. She missed all the nightly shows. She missed the Pirates IN the Caribbean party. She missed almost everything.

We were able to re-schedule her massage at the Vista Spa and dinner at Palo to the last night of the cruise, and those two things were all she was able to do when she was released from our stateroom at 5pm on Wednesday night.

So, our cruise was a bust. I didn’t have very much fun on my own, especially since I didn’t want to leave my wife alone in her stateroom for the entire cruise. I did step out to catch the shows in the Walt Disney Theater, and did get off at Castaway Cay for a while.

She had to order room service for every meal, and they kept botching her meals by “forgetting” her food allergies (Celiac’s/gluten, soy, etc) and preferences (vegetarian). It wasn’t at all like the fantastic way Walt Disney World handles people with food allergies.

We paid extra for the “Romantic Escape” package, but DCL botched that as well. They did the Romantic Turndown service (rose petals on the bed) the first night my wife was sick. The Champagne Breakfast was also botched, as my wife’s plate of eggs was covered with bread and bacon – making it inedible for her.

Disney Cruise Line didn’t do much for us, and didn’t offer us any compensation or credit for our misery. I know it’s not their fault that my wife caught a virus onboard their ship, but they could have at least offered to credit us for the Romantic Escape package.

Both of us were disappointed by our Disney Cruise Line experience. Not only will we not recommend DCL to others, we won’t be doing any more cruises in the future (Disney or otherwise).

After our cruise, we went to WDW where we enjoyed three great nights in a Boardwalk View room at BWV. We had a great time at WDW!

I contacted Access America (the company that provides the trip insurance for Disney Cruise Lines) and they stated that the insurance does not cover this particular situation. If my wife had been so ill that she had to be transported off the ship and flown home, that would have been covered. But since she remained on the cruise ship -- and even though she was restricted to her stateroom and unable to fully participate in the cruise -- the cruise insurance provided by Disney won't cover a thing.

This just confirms our decision to not take any future cruises. There's simply too much risk that your time and money will go down the drain if you catch a bug.

My next step is to write Disney Cruise Line and see what they say. I'm not very hopeful.

Well... that is some seriously bad luck. I'm not sure if the punishment fits the crime (you'll never cruise again, not on DCL or not on anyone) but that is a personal decision.

Unfortunately, a virus can happen to any one of us. We could all be that person stuck in their room. I don't think that's the cruise line's fault at all, but you realize that. In fact, their insisting that she stay in the room may have saved others from the same fate. My wife and I went to a beautiful spot in Maine on our first anniversary and she got a serious sinus infection that left her cuddled under the blankets with all the lights out... and me bored to tears staring at the walls for several days. I feel your pain.

It certainly sounds like she was above & beyond the call of duty sick if she needed an IV and was incapable of walking. It sounds like they identified it as a stomach bug and not just nausea. That stinks, but as you said... that's not a refund situation.

I think you have every right in the world to expect to be refunded for the packages you paid for and they messed up. There is NO EXCUSE for messing up food allergies and that she is a veggie. DCL takes as much pride as WDW in that... they should be ashamed.

You seem like a well-spoken guy, I think you made your point very well... although I hope you try it again, rather than letting this taint your view completely.

So sorry to hear that you had such a bad time on your cruise :(

The only bit of advise I can offer is to be persistent with Disney if you feel you should have some level of compensation over how you were treated or services that were not up to scratch.

I'm thinking more of the REAS package refund, as much as anything, because we had a bad experience with our Couple's Choice spa package (basically during our 'alone time' on the 'private' verandah we were over looked the whole time from the deck above, by two crew members who chatted away to each other - we found this very a distracting annoyance to our relaxation & enjoyment).

At first we were passed from pillar to post with the spa blaming DCL and DCL saying they did not provide the service so it wasn't up to them to refund us. Eventually they (DCL) did give us a small amount of money back, but considering the package cost us nearly $500 we were still less than happy......so I persisted with our complaint, and eventually got a 50% refund , which I considered to be much more appropriate to the poor experience we had.

I would be totally gutted to have had the experience that you & your wife had and be just as annoyed that in no way is this covered by DCL or insurance:( ......its hardly a policy that encourages people to come forward who do fall ill on board is it ?...though I guess they don't want to operate a system of compensaton that could be abused either :confused:

However, I do hope it does not put you off cruising with them again. DCL cruising is one of the best cruises around - given you are both enough to enjoy it to the full, of course:) .

I don't know if Disney has tightened up on its customer satisfaction policy recently - last year they gave me a complete refund on a Photomovie I ordered because it took so long to arrive. I was extremely surprised (but delighted) by this as I had at no time complained about it, and some of the delay was infact my own fault for taking so long to chose the pictures ! Weird isn't it ??:confused:

Other cruise lines compensate if the passengers are "ordered" to be in their stateroom a certain number of days.

I would look into that more with Disney.

The other alternative would have been your wife walking around spreading germs everywhere.....so, she was doing them a favor by doing what she was told.

I can't believe Disney treated you poorly, we have always had exceptional service.

As an experiencec cruiser, I suggest in the future do everything while still onboard. (contact purser's desk with the situation etc...paper trail. Take the dr's note and explain why you want the excursions canceled etc....obviously,can't use them if you are confined in the stateroom)

the thing is, everyone knows that if you get sick you could be quarantined to your room. This is not Disney's fault. With the average incubation of a virus being 2 to 5 days, you wife likely brought the virus to the ship. If it were me, I would have cancelled the extra services as soon as I found out about the quarantine. When you are sick and miserable, you find fault with anything. It is human nature, and a patients prorogative.

Mike, I really hope you give Cruising another go..

Yes, Yours was a very bad example of what can go wrong. I feel for you, trully I do,,

When we did the Disney thing in 2002, one of our travel companions had the same thing you describe. She couldnt even leave the cabin till we were back in Port Canaveral.

When they messed up her room service the 1st time, her room mate would get her a plate to go back to her room. They did comment that it was usually not allowed, but did make a exception. Not sure how he did it.

anyway, sorry for rambling.

I and my family loved the Wonder and would highly recomend it to anyone with kids..

I sure hope that if you give Cruising another try, you have the best results you can dream of..

Best to you and your wife :)

Access America is a bust!! This is the second case I have heard them not covering something, that most others will.

Contact Disney and see if they won't help you with something. But I do expect that something to be more like a credit toward a future cruise. So be ready. Good luck!

So sorry this happened to you!

I also know someone who was quarantined on a different cruise line, and because they had insurance coverage through the cruise line, they were reimbursed for the days of quarantine. I'm surprised to hear Disney does not do this if you were insured through them.

It would be a shame to give up cruising--but I can understand your disappointment!

That stinks to be stuck in your stateroom for nearly all of the cruise. On small bright spot thing is that you had a verandah. I'd have gotten cabin fever if I was stuck in an inside stateroom for two days.

Before you blame DCL for getting sick from their ship, it's important to note that your wife may have brought the virus aboard from the hotel or any other public place that she visited. From the CDC web site: *

The incubation period for norovirus-associated gastroenteritis in humans is usually between 24 and 48 hours (median in outbreaks 33 to 36 hours), but cases can occur within 12 hours of exposure.

Your wife's symptoms appeared about 48 hours after you checked into the hotel and about 24 hours after you boarded the ship so it's more likely that she was infected with the virus at the hotel.

I hope that you'll try cruising again. I can be a lot of fun as you have seen and a lot more fun if you can enjoy it together.

*http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-factsheet.htm

Update: I received a call from Disney Cruise Line in response to the email I sent to DCL Guest Relations. He apologized for the bad experience we had on our April 27 cruise on the Disney Wonder.

• He said he was surprised that Access America was refusing to cover the incident. He said the cruise insurance we purchased from Access America through DCL should absolutely cover the portion of the cruise that my wife was restricted to her stateroom. Rather than having me call back and try to get a claim processed on my own, he was going to call his contact at Access America and have them mail us a claim form.
  • He said DCL would refund the cost for the Romantic Escape package we purchased.
  • He said he would be sending us two vouchers for 50% off a future DCL cruise, and he hoped we would give them another chance.
  • He explained that while our dining servers were aware of my wife’s food allergies, room service typically isn’t.
  • He explained that when DCL had a bad virus outbreak in 2002, the measures they have implemented (disinfectant wipes, etc) have kept outbreaks to a minimum.

You can go to Access's website and print off a claim form.

It sounds like to me, that Disney has done all that you have asked of them. Give it some time and use that 50%.

Well Mike, looks to me like you now have a great resolution to your bad experience :)

So pleased for you.... and hope you can now look forward to a more positive Disney cruise experience in future.

It does seem that you have to be a little more persistent than you used to be with Disney these days in getting the customer service you would normally expect...maybe they have had too many less credible people of late, who have abused their normal generosity........who knows ? ....but glad they came through for you, on what must have been a very genuinely disappointing experience.

Well, we’re back from our 4-night cruise on the Disney Wonder (April 27 – May 1). It was our very first cruise and, as explained below, will probably be our very last cruise as well.

We drove down to Port Canaveral on Saturday, Apr 26 and checked into the Radisson Resort at the Port. We had booked a regular room, but were upgraded for free to a suite with a whirlpool tub. It was nice.

Sunday morning, we take the free shuttle to the DCL terminal. Since we go there a bit early, we had to wait a few minutes. We left our baggage and proceeded to security. We were the first ones to check in.

We get onboard and eat a nice lunch at Parrot Cay. Our Category 5 Deluxe Stateroom with Verandah was ready at 1:30 (Stateroom #7568). Although much smaller than a DVC Studio, it was nicer and roomier than we expected.

Viruses seem to get a lot of attention when it comes to cruising, as there are warnings posted in your stateroom about frequently washing your hands, and disinfecting wipes are handed to every guest as they enter the dining areas, and are available almost everywhere. We were given a “Stomach Flu Advisory” when we checked in. I read that getting a virus happens to about 1-2% of the guests on every cruise, so we both used disinfectant wipes.

My wife, who experiences motion sickness a lot (she got really sick on Soarin’), took Bonine (Meclizine) and also wore the Scopolamine transdermal patch, and did very well.

Our dining rotation was PTTA (Parrot Cay, Triton’s twice, and Animator’s Palate) -- second dining (8:30pm). We had booked reservations for Palo on the night we were to repeat Triton’s, and brunch at Palo on the sea day.

We had scheduled a Couples Cabana Massage on Castaway Cay and the Elemis Aroma Stone massage for both of us at the Vista Spa.

We were excited and looking forward to a romantic and relaxing cruise!

At 1:00 pm on Monday (the second day of the cruise), my wife became very ill. The symptoms, which included vomiting and diarrhea, came upon her very quickly. She became very weak and needed fluids.

We contacted the onboard Medical Center as directed by the “Stomach Flu Advisory” form and they asked her to come down. She was finally strong enough to make her way down to deck 1 around 4:30pm. They gave her an IV and medication to treat her symptoms.

They then informed us that my wife was restricted to her stateroom for 48 hours (not from when she first became ill, but when she came to the Medical Center). That meant she would be stuck in her stateroom until the night before we disembark the ship – practically the entire cruise.

She missed dining at Triton’s and Animator’s Palate. She missed visiting Castaway Cay (which is what she was looking forward to the most) and the Couples Cabana Massage. She missed brunch at Palos. She missed all the nightly shows. She missed the Pirates IN the Caribbean party. She missed almost everything.

We were able to re-schedule her massage at the Vista Spa and dinner at Palo to the last night of the cruise, and those two things were all she was able to do when she was released from our stateroom at 5pm on Wednesday night.

So, our cruise was a bust. I didn’t have very much fun on my own, especially since I didn’t want to leave my wife alone in her stateroom for the entire cruise. I did step out to catch the shows in the Walt Disney Theater, and did get off at Castaway Cay for a while.

She had to order room service for every meal, and they kept botching her meals by “forgetting” her food allergies (Celiac’s/gluten, soy, etc) and preferences (vegetarian). It wasn’t at all like the fantastic way Walt Disney World handles people with food allergies.

We paid extra for the “Romantic Escape” package, but DCL botched that as well. They did the Romantic Turndown service (rose petals on the bed) the first night my wife was sick. The Champagne Breakfast was also botched, as my wife’s plate of eggs was covered with bread and bacon – making it inedible for her.

Disney Cruise Line didn’t do much for us, and didn’t offer us any compensation or credit for our misery. I know it’s not their fault that my wife caught a virus onboard their ship, but they could have at least offered to credit us for the Romantic Escape package.

Both of us were disappointed by our Disney Cruise Line experience. Not only will we not recommend DCL to others, we won’t be doing any more cruises in the future (Disney or otherwise).

After our cruise, we went to WDW where we enjoyed three great nights in a Boardwalk View room at BWV. We had a great time at WDW!

I contacted Access America (the company that provides the trip insurance for Disney Cruise Lines) and they stated that the insurance does not cover this particular situation. If my wife had been so ill that she had to be transported off the ship and flown home, that would have been covered. But since she remained on the cruise ship -- and even though she was restricted to her stateroom and unable to fully participate in the cruise -- the cruise insurance provided by Disney won't cover a thing.

This just confirms our decision to not take any future cruises. There's simply too much risk that your time and money will go down the drain if you catch a bug.

My next step is to write Disney Cruise Line and see what they say. I'm not very hopeful.

Sounds like a bad experience and a real bummer given the money spent and the precruise excitment.

It doesn't sound like a sea sickness issue, I'm really not sure why you have it in to Disney and vow never to do them or cruising again.

Crusing is not unlike any other thing one might do; overseas vacation etc. It sound unfortunant that your vacation didn't go as planned, if this was to happen on a land vacation or other favorite activity ( fishing, camping or whatever) would you you vow never to do it again? Hope you aren't just posting sour grapes. :mad:

Hope you get "fair" and "reasonable" response from DCL.

Update: I received a call from Disney Cruise Line in response to the email I sent to DCL Guest Relations. He apologized for the bad experience we had on our April 27 cruise on the Disney Wonder.

• He said he was surprised that Access America was refusing to cover the incident. He said the cruise insurance we purchased from Access America through DCL should absolutely cover the portion of the cruise that my wife was restricted to her stateroom. Rather than having me call back and try to get a claim processed on my own, he was going to call his contact at Access America and have them mail us a claim form.
  • He said DCL would refund the cost for the Romantic Escape package we purchased.
  • He said he would be sending us two vouchers for 50% off a future DCL cruise, and he hoped we would give them another chance.
  • He explained that while our dining servers were aware of my wife’s food allergies, room service typically isn’t.
  • He explained that when DCL had a bad virus outbreak in 2002, the measures they have implemented (disinfectant wipes, etc) have kept outbreaks to a minimum.

Good news !! hopefully you will give cruising another try...just bad luck.

Its always nice to see a fellow DIS'er and DVC'er on these boards....:D

I am Disney-Kim on the DIS;)

I'm glad your complaint received proper resolution. Sure doesn't hurt to own a boatload of DVC points either! :cool:

I agree with you 100% about Access America!

On our first Disney cruise, my youngest (8 months old at the time) caught a virus onboard (yes it was onboard because it was the morning of Day 6), she stopped breathing, seized and needed to be intebated in the Disney Medical Center then medically evacuated to Port Canaveral Medical Center.

As if that wasn't traumatic enough. We had to pay all onboard medical expenses before we left (luckily we have high limit credit cards). We were unable to fly back home because my daughter was not cleared for air travel. So we had to pay for new plane tickets plus US Air fees (came to $1,250). And we had to pay for the hotel.

I called Access America IN Port Canaveral to open the claim.

They said they would fax me the fclaim forms which would be waiting for me at my house.

The first thing I see on the claim forms is "Letter from Treating Physician stating patient was not able to travel"

So I call PC Medical Center and ask for a letter. They say "The doctor can't write a letter. If they wrote letters all day to insurance companies then they wouldn't have time to treat patients"

Call back Access America who says "Sorry, you need the statement from the doctor in order to file the claim."

Like an idiot, I let it go and walk away. Pretty much, at that point I was in shock that my child had been so sick. So all of my energy was focused on her.

Fast forward 2 years later. I am on CC and I am reading complaints about Access America. I post my story. I am encouraged by CCers to contact Disney about Access America which I do. Literally within days, I was contacted by the person who is the Disney Liason to Access America. Claim was filed, checks were on the way.

Now, alot of it was NOT paid for. And no, we didn't receive any compensation from Disney Cruise Lines. In my mind, the virus wasn't their fault. It was the risk we took by cruising with children. But I didn't go after Disney for compensation, I went after the insurance company.

On the flip side. Friends of ours were on Magic and the hubby DID get Noro. He was so bad that they flew him home. His family stayed ON the ship. :eek: A few weeks later the family received a letter with a free cruise for the entire family.

I know in a middle of an emergency the last thing you need to worry about is getting a dr's note. However, get everything in writing while still onboard.

We had a problem with Princess and was told by the Purser's desk that everything was filed and once back on land we found out they did nothing! By then, they had plenty of time to change their story on what really happened and did!!

I am a very trusting person but no more when it comes to claims. Get everything as it happens even photos if applicable.

I know it is common sense but, when you are worried about your child/spouse etc....we forget:)

I know in a middle of an emergency the last thing you need to worry about is getting a dr's note. However, get everything in writing while still onboard.

Oh I had a letter from the ship's doctor. And from Disney cruiseline. It was the Port Canaveral doctor who I had nada from. :(

Now I know. :)

Michele,

You were being too nice...If someone had said that to me.....I would have filed a complaint with the hospital. Mind you, I am very easy going but hey, that is their job.

So I call PC Medical Center and ask for a letter. They say "The doctor can't write a letter. If they wrote letters all day to insurance companies then they wouldn't have time to treat patients"

It really seems that some people these days are so obnoxious. You got the insurance and deserve to be compensated.

Donna:)

I agree with you 100% about Access America!

On our first Disney cruise, my youngest (8 months old at the time) caught a virus onboard (yes it was onboard because it was the morning of Day 6), she stopped breathing, seized and needed to be intebated in the Disney Medical Center then medically evacuated to Port Canaveral Medical Center.

As if that wasn't traumatic enough. We had to pay all onboard medical expenses before we left (luckily we have high limit credit cards). We were unable to fly back home because my daughter was not cleared for air travel. So we had to pay for new plane tickets plus US Air fees (came to $1,250). And we had to pay for the hotel.

I called Access America IN Port Canaveral to open the claim.

They said they would fax me the fclaim forms which would be waiting for me at my house.

The first thing I see on the claim forms is "Letter from Treating Physician stating patient was not able to travel"

Call back Access America who says "Sorry, you need the statement from the doctor in order to file the claim."

Like an idiot, I let it go and walk away. Pretty much, at that point I was in shock that my child had been so sick. So all of my energy was focused on her.

Fast forward 2 years later. I am on CC and I am reading complaints about Access America. I post my story. I am encouraged by CCers to contact Disney about Access America which I do. Literally within days, I was contacted by the person who is the Disney Liason to Access America. Claim was filed, checks were on the way.

Now, alot of it was NOT paid for. And no, we didn't receive any compensation from Disney Cruise Lines. In my mind, the virus wasn't their fault. It was the risk we took by cruising with children. But I didn't go after Disney for compensation, I went after the insurance company.

On the flip side. Friends of ours were on Magic and the hubby DID get Noro. He was so bad that they flew him home. His family stayed ON the ship. :eek: A few weeks later the family received a letter with a free cruise for the entire family.

I had 13 clients to miss the first day of their Disney cruise. The latch on the cargo door of the plane broke. Delta canceled their flight and then screwed up any chance of them getting to the ship in time.

I called Access America to see what I could do to start the process for this family. I was told I had to get a detailed later from the airline as to what happened. Delta gave me the same answer the hosptial gave you. I tried for days to work this out. My clients got home and they took up the cause. None of us got anywhere with them. We tried to bring Disney into it, but they were no help.

The family after a while told me to just give it up.

I had 13 clients to miss the first day of their Disney cruise. The latch on the cargo door of the plane broke. Delta canceled their flight and then screwed up any chance of them getting to the ship in time.

I called Access America to see what I could do to start the process for this family. I was told I had to get a detailed later from the airline as to what happened. Delta gave me the same answer the hosptial gave you. I tried for days to work this out. My clients got home and they took up the cause. None of us got anywhere with them. We tried to bring Disney into it, but they were no help.

The family after a while told me to just give it up.

These reports are about siturations that should be so OBVIOUSLY covered by insurance, as you read the documents, exactly these type of things that are intended to be covered. With so much hassle, and putting some value on your time, really makes you wonder if insurance is worth it. I always hear, get insurance if the cruise is in hurricane season. But, I wonder, would they just exclude everything related to a hurricane as an act of God or, better, say they can't process it without an official letter from God......

Sorry, that was a tangent from OP's thread. Has he said if he's happy with DCL's resolution? It seems fair to be and that he should be happy with the way DCL stacks up againt Disney and DVC, which we know he likes, in terms of customer service.

Donna - I am not usually that nice...lol. I think I was just so in shock with the whole situation that my brain was mush. ;)

Amlee - Isn't it ridiculous? What do they get paid to do at that insurance company if it's not to insure people? I had to have a 5 page thread on a public message board to get Disney to take notice and take action. :rolleyes:

So this is what I NOW do. I DECLINE Acess America Insurance through the Disney Vacation Plan.

I have my TA go through another company that she uses and has NO problems with.

What's amazing is that for this cruise, Access America wanted $289 to insure our Wonder Cruise and it wouldn't cover the air (booked indendently) or the Wilderness Lodge part of the vacation.

Through my TA, she covered the entire trip for $150. The kids were free!

So just say NO to Access America. :D

Archived