Do you get sea Sick???

kinggartk

Do you get Sea Sick on your cruises? Do you need Chemical assistance with Sea Sickness?

What do you take for Sea Sickness?

I don't get seasick. Take a look at the thread "When to take Dramamine" for OTC medications.

I get seasick on fishing boats so I have never taken any chances. I take Bonine....I take one the night before we depart, one the next morning and then one every morning while on the ship. I have never been sick and we've been in some 'rockin' weather. Bonine works for me.

Yes, I get seasick, carsick, trainsick... lol. I suffer from motion sickness. While others can take ginger and it work for them, I take Bonine or Dramamine (I prefer Bonine). I take one nightly, starting the night before the cruise, before bedtime. I don't suffer any drowsiness or side effects.

I even take Bonine before going to an amusement park so I can ride the rides!

I don't personally get sea sick (my husband claims I have a stomach of steel) but my husband gets sea sick some of the time. When we were in the Atlantic on the way from Puerto Rico to New York City it got pretty rough (I think we were skirting a storm).

He went to his doctor before our cruise and got a patch that he stuck behind his ear. It worked great. In fact, the only reason that he got sick between Puerto Rico and New York was because he didn't put his patch on before we left port (I reminded him, and he decided he didn't need it).

He didn't seem to have any side effects from the patch and he's usually a pretty big wimp when it comes to taking medicine (Sudafed makes him goofy). I have heard that some people have had side effects, though.

Yes I do.

I go to drug store/pharmacy and buy Meclazine. It is the active ingredient in Bonine. 100 pills will cost you about $10.00 1-2 pills once to twice a day and you are good to go. I normally take them the night before we leave and the first few nights and am ok. Then if water gets rough I take it again.

I get my doctor to prescribe the patch that goes behind the ear. I have taken the meds with me each time, but have never had to use them. I would rather be safe than sorry. On our last cruise my sister got really sick (can I say GREEN), I gave her one to try and she was fine.

Up until the Blogger's Cruise on the Freedom in January, I would have said "NO!" But then I spent most of Sunday in my cabin praying to the porcelain god. At first I was attributing it to the two shots of tequila I drank in the piano bar the night before, but after the third run to the bathroom, I knew it was something more.

It finally slowed enough to allow me to run to the Purser's desk around 1pm and get some meclazine. After I got back to my room, made an offering to the porcelain god one more time and then downed the meclazine, I was fine. Even able to eat dinner that night. But I took the meclazine every night that followed just in case!

But until that kicked in, I was so bad off that John Heald even called my cabin to make sure I was still alive! LOL!

From now on I'm packing the ginger pills and the Bonine just to be safe! I never want to feel that way again! (then I should probably stay away from the tequila too, right?)

Happy Cruising,

Laura

Believe it or not, I have been using those wrist bands for motion sickness for years. Bought them on our first cruise. Now, I am VERY much the skeptic. But, I take enough medications for an ongoing illness that the last thing I wanted to do was take another drug, especially one that might make me drowsy. Thought I'd try these bands and if they didn't work, the only loss to me would be what I paid for them. Well, surprisingly to me, they worked! I put them on and about a half hour later, I was fine. They are fabric/elastic with little buttons in them that press down on a specific pressure point on your wrist. Not everyone believes in these, and some say they are a waste of money. I honestly thought I was throwing my money away, too, when I bought them. But it was my first choice, before I tried pills or a patch. I've used them in the car, on airplanes, on bus trips, on cruise ships. They may not work for everyone, but they work for me. I bought these on the cruise ship, but I'm sure you can get them in a drug store. Just another option to think about.

Up until the Blogger's Cruise on the Freedom in January, I would have said "NO!" But then I spent most of Sunday in my cabin praying to the porcelain god. At first I was attributing it to the two shots of tequila I drank in the piano bar the night before, but after the third run to the bathroom, I knew it was something more.

Happy Cruising,

Laura

I had the same thing happen a few years ago on the Hawaii cruise. I had never gotten sea sick on any cruise up until we left Hawaii. I knew we were going to be sailing for 5 straight days without any stops or any land in sight.

I'm not sure if it was psychological or not, but I got sea sick on the first full day at sea. I had bonine, but by the time it kicked in I had missed a whole day. Now I always take bonine for each cruise.

I usually don't but felt kinda tipsy even though I was not drinking on a rough sea day. My husband feels yucky the first day only. Once I got nauseus watching a poorly filmed video tape!

My 8yo daughter does get motion sickness and I am trying to prepare for her 1st cruise this August. I bought the sea bands, have non drowsy childrens chewable dramamine and am considering getting ginger pills, but am worried cause she only has a little pill swallowing experience. I don't want to dope her up and make her sleepy, like Benadryl does.

My sister gets sick and she uses the patch. She gets dry mouth and blurry eyes.

No sea sickness so far and we've been in some moderate seas at least. I always take ginger with me just in case but haven't needed it so far. Our rougher cruises have been more side-to-side rocking instead of up and down, though - don't know if that makes a difference, although our last night on the Liberty last year we were going up and down pretty good - all the stuff in my bathroom even fell off the shelves. I sat on the balcony for a few hours late that night thinking it was kind of fun to be going up and crashing back down like that. :p

I've never been motion sick anywhere else, though - planes, cars, twisty mountain roads, roller coasters, a small sailboat - I'm fine on all of them. Never say never, but I've shown no signs of it so far - even when walking into a Lido deck bathroom last cruise as we were outrunning tropical storm Noel and seeing women hanging over the sinks and trashcan sick. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I do get the swaying feeling for about a week when I get home, though. It's pretty bad the first few days. No nausea - just really off balance.

when I was young, I went on a fishing boat in the middle of the sea and I remember feeling awful, but I actually enjoy the motion on cruises, like the poster above, I love sleeping to a rocking boat as well. And when I get off the ship I usually have sea legs for a couple of days, I miss it when I that feeling goes away when it comes to sleeping because I still feel like I am being rocked to sleep and having my Carnival pillow I kind of feel like I am still on a cruise, but no one is making and serving me my meals and I am not waking up in any exotic ports!

Archived