Rogue wave.... or "monster" wave

Has anyone heard of this. My mom told me about it last night. :( Great, another thing to worry about.

I found this on Wiki, it talks all about them.

Norwegian Dawn, (three waves in succession, off the coast of Georgia, 16 April 2005):

"The sea had actually calmed down when the 21 meter[21] wave seemed to come out of thin air… Our captain, who has 20 years on the job, said he never saw anything like it."[22]

"The water exerted enough force to shear off the welds for the aluminum rail supports on the [ninth and tenth level] balconies of two cabins, allowing the teak balcony rails to break loose and crash into the cabin windows. The broken glass filling the drains compounded the water damage by allowing a large amount of water to enter the two cabins and damage the carpets in 61 other cabins. The ship’s operating at reduced speed when the waves hit probably limited the damage."[23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_wave_(oceanography)

It is possible, an has been documented in various occasions. However, you should not worry, it is highly unlikely to happen. Usually, the ships structures are designed for a wave with a return period of 100 years over the route that is considered on the design stages, so it would be very unlucky to meet a wave that could actually cause damage to the ship.

Has anyone heard of this. My mom told me about it last night. :( Great, another thing to worry about.

I found this on Wiki, it talks all about them.

Norwegian Dawn, (three waves in succession, off the coast of Georgia, 16 April 2005):

"The sea had actually calmed down when the 21 meter[21] wave seemed to come out of thin air… Our captain, who has 20 years on the job, said he never saw anything like it."[22]

"The water exerted enough force to shear off the welds for the aluminum rail supports on the [ninth and tenth level] balconies of two cabins, allowing the teak balcony rails to break loose and crash into the cabin windows. The broken glass filling the drains compounded the water damage by allowing a large amount of water to enter the two cabins and damage the carpets in 61 other cabins. The ship’s operating at reduced speed when the waves hit probably limited the damage."[23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_wave_(oceanography)

You can also be hit by a gas bubble and the ship can sink. They think this is what causes ships to sink the Bermuda triangle. You can worry about many things, sharks, sting rays, or crossing the street....or just ignore this and have fun. the national geographic channel did a special on rogue waves which turn out to be less rogue than expected.

BTW there is a slight chance that all the air in the room you are in will leave and you can also have spontaneous body explosions.

Did you hear the story of the person killed by lightening while talking on the telephone? the lightening hit the telephone lines miles a way and traveled the lines and killed the person making the call---it can't happen with wireless phones.

We had a large Coast Guard cutter hit by a rogue wave in the Gulf several years ago. It received quite a bit of damage but could return to base.

But, since the average modern Cruise ship is about the size of an aircraft carrier I've never even thought about them when cruising.

We aren't doing Poseidon Adventure here folks.

Several years ago while crossing the Atlantic, the QE2 was hit by a 90 -100 ft wave that went over the bridge with white water. Damaged the top of the bow but nothing else. Doubt if one of the new floating barges would be so lucky. Would imagine such a wave might take out a few decks worth of forward facing balcony cabins.

Enjoy your next crossing or cruise in hurricane areas as that is where the wave came out of - a hurricane.

If you have Windows Media Player, check out the video of one by clicking here. (And, a little patience is required while it loads.)

What a wave! Wonder what deck that window as on. My sweet but lunatic DH wil be jealous. The waves are never big enough to suit him.

What a wave! Wonder what deck that window as on. My sweet but lunatic DH wil be jealous. The waves are never big enough to suit him.

I think we may be married to the same man!!

You can youtube search and find a lot of cruise footage of bad weather. There is also a photochopped picture of a Carnival ship getting hit by a rouge wave floating around here. It is fake though.

You can youtube search and find a lot of cruise footage of bad weather. There is also a photochopped picture of a Carnival ship getting hit by a rouge wave floating around here. It is fake though.

They faked it being hit by a red (rouge) wave?

Rogue waves are actually quite common (based on recent satellite studies). The good news is they last only a short time...it's a big ocean...and ships are small...so the chances of a ship being in the exact time and place that a rogue wave occurs is fairl small.

It does happen. Anyone who paid attention in high school physics class knows about constructive interference, which is how rogue waves happen.

The QE2 was hit by one, as have several other cruise ships.

There are some good videos on youtube (search for rogue wave).

But if you are going to worry about such things, then just crawl under your bed and stay home. That's the only way to minimize danger in life.

Just for the record, a large wave is worse on a large ship than on a small one, structurally wise. This is because the small ship will float up and down, but the large ship will have the wave amidships and no water(or less water) at the fore and aft ends, thus putting the structure under heavy stresses. The most critical point for this is when the wavelength is equal to the ship length. In the highly unlikely event of a wave that equalled the shiplength and is bigger than the design conditions (remember, return period of 100 years, and if it does happen, then the boat must really be on the wrong place at the wrong time), or in the case that the ship has same structural damage alreay, it may cause the ship to break into two.

I just recieved a magazine with an interesting article on this issue (monster waves), I would upload it but it is in spanish. I will say something more when I read it completely.

Just for the record, a large wave is worse on a large ship than on a small one, structurally wise. This is because the small ship will float up and down, but the large ship will have the wave amidships and no water(or less water) at the fore and aft ends, thus putting the structure under heavy stresses. The most critical point for this is when the wavelength is equal to the ship length. In the highly unlikely event of a wave that equalled the shiplength and is bigger than the design conditions (remember, return period of 100 years, and if it does happen, then the boat must really be on the wrong place at the wrong time), or in the case that the ship has same structural damage alreay, it may cause the ship to break into two.

I just recieved a magazine with an interesting article on this issue (monster waves), I would upload it but it is in spanish. I will say something more when I read it completely.

Oh great, now you have given the OP another thing to worry about ;)

Worry like this reminds me of my dearly departed Grandmother. She lived on a farm in Vermont, off a dirt road, way outside of any town, probably 5 cars would pass by the farm in a 24 hour period. Yet, when we got within 10 yards of the road, she would come running out of the house, yelling at us to "get back!" as if our lives were in peril. It made for grand fun with all of us grandkids, we would do imitations of her.

This was back in the 50's, about 5 years ago many of us were back for a family reunion and visited the farm, all of us were running around the yard, yelling "get back!". The people living there now must have thought we were crazy :)

You know, about 2 months ago a tornado hit the grocery store less then a mile from us. Now, we did not feel a thing and we were oblivious until we heard the next morning.

MY POINT? (if I have one?) Disasters can happen anytime, anywhere and life is full of "lucky misses". No matter what we do, or how safe we try to be there will always be a chance we will nt be a "lucky miss" but an unlucky target.

Oh, back to the tornado, a week later a really big one hit Atlanta 25 miles away from where we live. Nothing was damaged where we live-but all of the sudden friends and relatives from other parts of the country started calling us to see if we were okay and IRONIALLY we had been in more danger the week before-but as that tornado only damaged a grocery store and a few houses, it did not make nationial news.

Archived