snorkling in cabo

sb6911ln1

We are going on RCI in June '09 to the mexican Riv. I really want to snorkel while there. I have been reading that the best snorkeling out of the 3 ports (cabo, mazatlan, PV) is in cabo. I am wondering has anyone snorkeled there? I have been reading good things about Bahia Chileno beach, is that a beach i could get to easily?

We have snorkled at Chileno Bay. It was very good, not Hawaii, but we saw a lot of fish and it was fairly clear water. It was in September and the water was very warm not sure how it is any other time. It is off the main road between Cabo and San Jose at mile marker 15. I am sure that is probably kilometers. There is a rustic parking lot right in front of it, but I don't remember signs for it. There was a sign for Santa Maria Bay, and I think a bus stop for that one. It looked like a long hike down to that. Chileno Bay is a short walk back from the parking area. They do have rest rooms. The beach is beautiful and there is a rock area that people climbed around. We had a car at our disposal, otherwise you could negotiate a cab ride out and back or the public transportation which is about $1.50 per person American. Catching it out there you tell the driver where you want to go. They are great about stopping where you ask. Going back could be tricky, as I think it may be hard to cross the road at that area. They drive very fast on that road. I have ridden the bus but not to Chileno Bay. They can be flagged down so you don't have to be at a bus stop. It is well worth going there if you love to snorkel.

...I have been reading that the best snorkeling out of the 3 ports (cabo, mazatlan, PV) is in cabo....QUOTE]

There are two factors to your question.

First, Cabo is a bay. As a rule, the waters inside the bay are calmer and should provide better conditions for snorkeling. Of the three normal ports of the M.R., Cabo is the furthest North, the water are slightly cooler than P.V.

Second, WHERE in Cabo are you going to snorkel? Either you are in the Bay itself or along the coast North or South. If you snorkel within the bay itself, the city has restricted snorkeling to a very small 400’ x 100’ strip between the town and “Lover’s Cove”. It has been several years, but when we were there, the waters were dead. No plant life or fish. They chummed the water to attract a few fish. We were the first boat in the area, but within 20 minutes, three other boats showed up with about 80 snorkelers and SCUBA novices. People were running into each other and being kicked left and right. Companies that go outside the bay can go where ever, but you will experience snorkeling in open water.

We found an excursion in PV that we have done twice. Two hour boat trip out to the island in Bandera Bay, whale watching to and from, snorkel from the boat for about an hour(except for water temperature, the experience is similar to the Caribbean), all you can eat lunch and then a 90 minute stop at a private beach. I believe it was done by a company called eco-adventures.

...I have been reading that the best snorkeling out of the 3 ports (cabo, mazatlan, PV) is in cabo....QUOTE]

There are two factors to your question.

First, Cabo is a bay. As a rule, the waters inside the bay are calmer and should provide better conditions for snorkeling. Of the three normal ports of the M.R., Cabo is the furthest North, the water are slightly cooler than P.V.

Second, WHERE in Cabo are you going to snorkel? Either you are in the Bay itself or along the coast North or South. If you snorkel within the bay itself, the city has restricted snorkeling to a very small 400’ x 100’ strip between the town and “Lover’s Cove”. It has been several years, but when we were there, the waters were dead. No plant life or fish. They chummed the water to attract a few fish. We were the first boat in the area, but within 20 minutes, three other boats showed up with about 80 snorkelers and SCUBA novices. People were running into each other and being kicked left and right. Companies that go outside the bay can go where ever, but you will experience snorkeling in open water.

We found an excursion in PV that we have done twice. Two hour boat trip out to the island in Bandera Bay, whale watching to and from, snorkel from the boat for about an hour(except for water temperature, the experience is similar to the Caribbean), all you can eat lunch and then a 90 minute stop at a private beach. I believe it was done by a company called eco-adventures.

Thanks so much for the info.

We were looking at the shore excusion called chileno bay snorkel adventure. but I am def going to look into PV. Although I heard in PV we should do the zip line. :D Have you done that?

We have snorkled at Chileno Bay. It was very good, not Hawaii, but we saw a lot of fish and it was fairly clear water. It was in September and the water was very warm not sure how it is any other time. It is off the main road between Cabo and San Jose at mile marker 15. I am sure that is probably kilometers. There is a rustic parking lot right in front of it, but I don't remember signs for it. There was a sign for Santa Maria Bay, and I think a bus stop for that one. It looked like a long hike down to that. Chileno Bay is a short walk back from the parking area. They do have rest rooms. The beach is beautiful and there is a rock area that people climbed around. We had a car at our disposal, otherwise you could negotiate a cab ride out and back or the public transportation which is about $1.50 per person American. Catching it out there you tell the driver where you want to go. They are great about stopping where you ask. Going back could be tricky, as I think it may be hard to cross the road at that area. They drive very fast on that road. I have ridden the bus but not to Chileno Bay. They can be flagged down so you don't have to be at a bus stop. It is well worth going there if you love to snorkel.

So did you ever book it through the ship? or just get off the boat and say take me to the bay?

So did you ever book it through the ship? or just get off the boat and say take me to the bay?

We were staying in Cabo and had the use of a car. We went ourselves and not on an excursion. The snorkeling in the bay that jlp20 mentioned did look dangerous and crowded. We did not find it so at Chileno Bay.

You absolutely do not have to book through the ship. There are many catamarans, regular boats, sail boats, etc. that will offer snorkeling trips right from the pier or you can also do it online at their websites. Pez Gato, Tropicat, La Princesa, Yael, SunRiders are just a few with very good reputations. Figure on spending around $30 and up per person and it will normally include lunch (plus free beer/sodas/bottled water after the snorkeling). Trips normally last @ 3 hours (1 hour snorkeling) and will include a stop at the arch, sea lion colony, Lover's Beach, etc.

You absolutely do not have to book through the ship...

Yes you are correct. However, Cabo is a short stay for some cruise lines. By 1:00 PM the ship is in the Pacific heading north.

That extra 10%-20% you pay for going through the cruise line may be worth it. The guarantee of the ship waiting for you makes a day much more relaxing than looking at your watch every five minutes.

We went to Santa Maria beach twice. The next time we are in Cabo, we are going to go to Chilleno Beach.

You don't need to do an excursion on a boat. We went to the beach, and snorkeled off of it.

Don't get off the tender and say take me to the bay. Plan and research you trip as well as you can.

In October We really enjoyed the snorkeling at Santa Maria beach, as well as the beach. The fish were plentiful, and the water was warm, calm and clear.

In April, the water was so cold and rough, I couldn't get into it (believe me I really tried hard:o ). The snorkel boats were serving lots and lots of drinks, and even then, the people were in the water only a few minutes. Then they all turned the music up and had a party on the boat.

Yes you are correct. However, Cabo is a short stay for some cruise lines. By 1:00 PM the ship is in the Pacific heading north.

That extra 10%-20% you pay for going through the cruise line may be worth it. The guarantee of the ship waiting for you makes a day much more relaxing than looking at your watch every five minutes.

To a certain extent, I agree. Doing a little research however revealed the following results.

Cabo San Lucas - Typical Port Visit Hours

Carnival Elation 8am-4pm - 8 hours

Carnival Splendor 7am-3pm - 8 hours

Carnival Pride 7am-4pm - 9 hours

RCCL Mariner 10:30am-6pm - 7.5 hrs

RCCL Vision 10am-6pm - 8 hrs.

Disney Magic 9am-5:30pm - 8.5 hrs.

NCL Star 10am-3pm - 5 hrs.

Princess Sapphire 7am-2pm - 7 hrs.

Princess Star 9am-6pm - 9 hrs.

HAL Ryndam 10am-6pm - 8 hrs.

HAL Oosterdam 9am-6pm - 9 hrs.

Some ports I use ship excursions, some I don't. Depends upon the ship, the excursion, the port, the port time.

We snorkeled at Chileno Bay using Sunrider Tours. We weren't expecting Hawaii quality (which Mexico isn't when it comes to snorkeling), but we had a good time. Saw quite a few good fish and water was nice.

Sunrider was right where the tender dropped you off, and there were quite a few other companies that offered similar tours. Decide which type of boat you would like - traditional hull boat (many are two story with restrooms) or catamaran (unique, though less shade if it's sweltering hot).

Our tour was $45 p/p and included a full bar (both ways), a great hot grilled buffet lunch, all gear and full service by the crew. I would guess most others are in a similar range.

We had plenty of time after the tour to walk around Cabo and explore prior to heading back to the ship.

We've also snorkeled at a few different places in PV. We thought Cabo was better. Then again, a day in the water with lots of sun and a Corona or two... that's a pretty good day wherever you are!

Concur that SunRiders is a great company. It is a big 2 deck boat (actually they have 2 of them). They cook using on-board barbecue grills. Figure 70-100 passengers. We used them for a Sunset Dinner Cruise. Great crew, lots of fun. We also like Pez Gato for a catamaran. We used them for a whale watching trip this February.

Thanks so much for the info.

We were looking at the shore excusion called chileno bay snorkel adventure. but I am def going to look into PV. Although I heard in PV we should do the zip line. :D Have you done that?

Definate!!! Zip line was the highlight of our trip:D It was not planned and we had the best time in PV!!! We started out the day expecting a jeep tour and we met outside. They told us to have a seat and we would leave shortly. Well, they forgot us:eek: RCCL apologized and said they'd treat us to a free dinner that night on an island. Since we had all day free, we rented this cute tiny convertible and ended up in the El Eden jungle. It was beautiful! There is a fun natural pool with a water slide (natural as well). On a whim, we grabbed some people we met on the ship who happened to be there and did the zip lines! It was so great. The other couple said they would have never ever did them if we hadn't met them there and they where so excited. (we exchanged contact info and are still in contact:p ) Any way, DO zip line in PV. We did snorkel in Chileno Bay in Cabo from a Catamaran and it was great fun. We saw alot of fish, and and eel:eek: . All the passangers that chose to snorkel in PV came back with many, many stings from jelly fish. The time of year was the middle of October, I believe. Have a great time!

Definate!!! Zip line was the highlight of our trip:D It was not planned and we had the best time in PV!!! We started out the day expecting a jeep tour and we met outside. They told us to have a seat and we would leave shortly. Well, they forgot us:eek: RCCL apologized and said they'd treat us to a free dinner that night on an island. Since we had all day free, we rented this cute tiny convertible and ended up in the El Eden jungle. It was beautiful! There is a fun natural pool with a water slide (natural as well). On a whim, we grabbed some people we met on the ship who happened to be there and did the zip lines! It was so great. The other couple said they would have never ever did them if we hadn't met them there and they where so excited. (we exchanged contact info and are still in contact:p ) Any way, DO zip line in PV. We did snorkel in Chileno Bay in Cabo from a Catamaran and it was great fun. We saw alot of fish, and and eel:eek: . All the passangers that chose to snorkel in PV came back with many, many stings from jelly fish. The time of year was the middle of October, I believe. Have a great time!

So who did you do the zip line through? I take it that it wasnt the cruise line, since it was on a whim. That sounds like a blast. We have quite a few friends we have exchaged info with and still keep in touch with. Its great when that happens.

Did you do the snorkel with the ship or on your own?

We snorkeled at Chileno Bay using Sunrider Tours. We weren't expecting Hawaii quality (which Mexico isn't when it comes to snorkeling), but we had a good time. Saw quite a few good fish and water was nice.

Sunrider was right where the tender dropped you off, and there were quite a few other companies that offered similar tours. Decide which type of boat you would like - traditional hull boat (many are two story with restrooms) or catamaran (unique, though less shade if it's sweltering hot).

Our tour was $45 p/p and included a full bar (both ways), a great hot grilled buffet lunch, all gear and full service by the crew. I would guess most others are in a similar range.

We had plenty of time after the tour to walk around Cabo and explore prior to heading back to the ship.

We've also snorkeled at a few different places in PV. We thought Cabo was better. Then again, a day in the water with lots of sun and a Corona or two... that's a pretty good day wherever you are!

Sunriders sounds great. Did you book before you went or just when you got off the boat?

SunRiders has their own website. You will see pictures, and can make a reservation if you wish. That is how we did it (paid cash when we got there). Just have to watch your junk/spam box in case their reply gets routed there.

Sunriders sounds great. Did you book before you went or just when you got off the boat?

We booked in advance. www.sunridertours.com

If you book with anyone in advance, just bring your confirmation email with you. You may need that to get on the float area where the boat is located - sometimes they have security at that gate to make sure everyone has either tickets or confirmations. Sunrider asked us to pay at the boat in cash upon arrival. We had a great time... hope you do too!

We booked in advance. www.sunridertours.com

If you book with anyone in advance, just bring your confirmation email with you. You may need that to get on the float area where the boat is located - sometimes they have security at that gate to make sure everyone has either tickets or confirmations. Sunrider asked us to pay at the boat in cash upon arrival. We had a great time... hope you do too!

Did you have any problems getting back to the boat on time?

Did you have any problems getting back to the boat on time?

Absolutely not a problem. You are dropped off right where the tenders pick you up, and then you can choose to head back or head into town. After our tour, we had time to walk around, get a snack, shop and we even headed to Costco to check out the Costco setup in Mexico.

No problem getting back in time!

????? What? That doesn't make sense. Cabo is located at the tip of the Baja Peninsula with the Pacific Ocean on one side and the Sea of Cortez on the other. You can not snorkle in the Pacific at all but there are many bays along the Sea of Cortez including Santa Maria and Chileano where you can go. You can also snorkle at Lover's Beach which is only 5 minutes from the tender pier but the water can be really rough there because of all the boat and water taxi traffic.

Hope this helps!:)

????? What? That doesn't make sense. Cabo is located at the tip of the Baja Peninsula with the Pacific Ocean on one side and the Sea of Cortez on the other. You can not snorkle in the Pacific at all but there are many bays along the Sea of Cortez including Santa Maria and Chileano where you can go. You can also snorkle at Lover's Beach which is only 5 minutes from the tender pier but the water can be really rough there because of all the boat and water taxi traffic..

First, while “Cabo” is on the “tip”, the actual port and town are in a small bay.

Second, sorry for snorkeling in the Pacific, didn’t know it was against the rules. Hundreds if not thousands do it every day.

Third, the area that companies MUST use is about 500 feet north of “Lover’s Beach”

First, while “Cabo” is on the “tip”, the actual port and town are in a small bay.

Second, sorry for snorkeling in the Pacific, didn’t know it was against the rules. Hundreds if not thousands do it every day.

Third, the area that companies MUST use is about 500 feet north of “Lover’s Beach”

The problem with snorkeling on the Pacific side is that there is virtually no continental shelf near Cabo/Solmar Beach/Sunset Beach. It is a very deep trench so the rip currents are very dangerous. The whales love it. During whale watching season, the whales get so close to Solmar and Sunset Beaches that you could probably throw a Ritz Cracker at them. Wave's form 5 feet from the shore line (which can be pretty spectacular to watch).

This situation is also replacated on the Corridor side as well, but there are a few small, safe areas to swim/snorkel there. The best are the aforementioned Chileno Bay and Santa Maria Bay. Both of these are best accessed by catamaran/boat/sailboat tour for cruisers. There are other options; local "collectivo's" (bus) or taxi (expensive), but the best for cruiser's is still a boat tour, whether ship sponsored ($$$) or not ($30-$45 each & includes lunch, etc.).

There is an area near Lover's Beach as you have mentioned, but it is fairly poor for snorkeling due to boat/jet ski activity near the site.

Puerto Vallarta is an alternate, but it does sometimes have to deal with jellyfish swarms. This has been reported from time to time. Given the choice, I would pick Cabo over taking the chance with jellyfish. Just my opinion.

I don't really know if there is a season, someone else might know. You might also might find some more information at the Puerto Vallarta board on TripAdvisor (CruiseCritics parent company). They have "destination experts" there. Here is the link.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150793-i46-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

I have never heard of jellyfish being an issue in Cabo. Only Puerto Vallarta.

Archived