Forum Maintenance: Wednesday March 20 @5:00 am ET Read more... ×
Cruise Critic Community
TitanoftheSeas

Sovereign of the Seas - Deck 8 Cabin question

The lifeboats hang outside the windows, so there's your obstruction! The windows are more for letting in light, rather than having a good view. Sov. windows are over the bed, making view very difficult. Yes, you can look out and see if it's sunny or not, but that's about it!

Here is the list of minimally obstructed cabins on deck 8 on Monarch, which should be the same for Sovereign.

Monarch Deck 8- minimally obstructed views (Between lifeboats)

8008 8508

8030 8530

8032 8532

8034 8534

8036 8536

8038 8538

8048 8548

8050 8550

8060 8560

8072 8572

8084 8584

8096 8596

This is cabin 8560- between the lifeboats

2950678640101628544S425x425Q85.jpg

Deck 8 cabins are one of the best kept secrets on SoS.. convienent to everything at a great price..

I agree!! We got it for a steal!! $150 less than any other OV cabin and even less than the insides!

We have stayed on deck 8 in 8050 and had little obstruction...for a little more $$$ deck 9 has larger cabins and well worth the extra $$$...Have a great time on the Sovereign...See you in 5 days Dawn:D ... Later, Jill:cool:

Deck 8 is a terrific choice to get a window at a good price.

Be careful of deck 7 “obstructed” as those are on the deck used to walk completely around the ship. Others walking by will be able to see right in to your cabin unless your curtains are completely closed.

M

I think the Cat. I obstructed deck 8 staterooms are one of the great values in cruise land. DS (11 at the time) and I did a boys cruise last summer in 8078 on Sovereign, and while we had a lifeboat in front of us, we had plenty of light, could see plenty of water looking down so we could tell how rough or smooth the seas were. But no, not suitable if you want to be gazing romantically on the horizon. So, Shhhh! Lets keep these staterooms a hidden secret just among us!

As for convenience, great. Easy couple of decks up to pool deck, windjammer, sports court, without having to wait for a busy elevator. A lounge at the back of deck 8, and quick down a deck or two to the theater. The next "higher" category would have been all the way down to deck 2 for a porthole about 9 decks below the pool and that would have been very inconvenient for DS's purposes compared to our ease of just using the stairs on board and not waiting for elevators.

Bear in mind--tiny rooms, 122 sq. ft. But we were fine for a casual 3 night cruise, not dressing up so we packed lightly. We've been in balcony staterooms on other ships, and JS on sovereign and other ships, and much larger oceanviews, even an OS on Radiance, but were able to adjust to the quarters. We enjoyed it enough that we've booked a Cat. I for a second annual boys cruise on Monarch, sister ship to Sovereign, this December after Monarch replaces Sovereign at Port Canaveral--I offered to go up to an SO on deck 9 but DS, now 12, said the Cat. I was fine and lets save the difference in cost for Bingo and a Coke card for him. I like the way he thinks. Having the beds apart does open the room up, and make it feel bigger.

I have spoken to someone who did a more romantic getaway on Sovereign, by the way, for whom an oceanview of 122 sq. feet did provide more than enough room and comfort for something in addition to just sleeping and changing and showering;). So apparently, not to worry for those who want the beds "together".

But that said--check the deck plans if you are behind the elevators and do not get a deck 8 stateroom above Bolero's. I made that mistake last year. I did hear the music till about 11:00 or 11:30 when trying to fall asleep at the same time as DS. Won't be fooled again. 8038 this time around on Monarch.

I have the Deck plans with the UNobstructed obstructed cabins marked.

Let me see if I can post it from work...........

Nope, bell's ringing...........have to go teach class. If no one else puts it up in the meantime, I'll post it after 4.

We stay in cabin 8540 every time we on on the SOS. View is just fine. I agree with others - best kept secret - good room on Deck 8, close to elevator, and the price is less than on Deck 2!! Get one on 8, you will be fine.

Merion Mom:

In your first diagram you don't show 8020/8520 as one of the less obstructed cabins, but in your second diagram you do.

Can you tell me which is correct?

Thanks so much for your help.

I'll tell you after my cruise!! I leave Sunday for the May 19 sailing. We have cabin 8532.

I'm going on the LAST cruise in October. Knock on room 8064's door (That'll be my room), and ask if you can look out of their window! :D If that works, try 8070 too, that's our friends room! :rolleyes: Not sure where you're traveling from, but I saw on another thread that parts of I-95 are closed due to smoke from fires. Might wanna check that out before you go if you're driving that way. Have a wonderful cruise!

Merion Mom:

In your first diagram you don't show 8020/8520 as one of the less obstructed cabins, but in your second diagram you do.

No, I can't. :) I stole the diagrams from mohavemommy, and I've never stayed in 8020. :eek: :)

The lifeboats are at the top of the windows, so even though you can't look up and see the sky, you can see out and down, water and all! And if you're lucky you'll get a cabin between the lifeboats, so you can see straight out.

Lets not forget the other known secret on the SS...............cabin 9028 is the ONLY balcony cabin on deck 9.........you pay a SO rate PLUS get your platinum/diamond discount on it................This is ONLY on the Sovereign(not the MN or MJ).............

2583810690042692775S600x600Q85.jpg

Merion Mom:

No, I can't. :) I stole the diagrams from mohavemommy, and I've never stayed in 8020. :eek: :)

8020/8520 are unobstructed. I just forgot to mark them on the horizontal one!

Here's a direct link to them on webshots:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2228772470046215528AbSjDk

2228772470046215528S600x600Q85.jpg

8020/8520 are unobstructed. I just forgot to mark them on the horizontal one!]

Looks like I booked a winner (without even knowing it!).

Thanks so much for the info.