LIVE from RADIANCE in KETCHIKAN!

GMoney

Good morning, good morning, good morning from beautiful Ketchikan Alaska! It is 6am local time, the bright sun is out and it's about 64 degrees. Shaping up to be a really nice day...

Just some quick notes on Alaska for those who may be curious...

> Weather has been incredible so far.

> The ship left Friday from Vancouver. Mostly cloudy and in the 60s.

> The weather the day before in YVR was partly sunny and in the high 60s.

> Yesterday's Inside Passage / Day at Sea was like sailing to Bermuda. Sunny and mid 60s. I was at the pool with sunscreen on. Just stay out of the cool wind. :)

> Several whale and dolphin sightings as we sailed yesterday. Nothing spectacular, but still very cool.

> Not sure how long the weather will last, and I certainly don't expect it to, but it's a nice treat for now.

> Plenty of snow on the mountains as we sail by.

Other notes in general...

> Customs line in YVR after deplaning was easily 250+. Took an hour to clear. Not fun after 6 hours of flying. Just depends on how many planes arrive at the same time, I guess.

> YVR is a beautiful city. Come early. Bike the sea wall at Stanley Park.

> Radiance is in decent shape. No real signs of the drydock - just a few patches of carpeting replaced here and there. Mostly behind the scenes work.

> Crew is very friendly.

> Pax are mostly older, but not super-fossils. Just a few kids.

Well, time to get back out there!

> Pax are mostly older, but not super-fossils.

Okay, it's been a while since I've had a good laugh from this board. Thank you for brightening my day even though I am green with envy that you're in cool crisp Alaska and I'm suffocating in 90* weather.

Patrick:

It's always a special treat when the sun is out in Ketchikan. Like you, we cruised late in the season before cruising earlier in the season and were treated to sunny skies and long hours of daylight. What a treat!

Enjoy your cruise and thanks for checking in with CC.

BTW, this extended daylight is AWESOME...

Patrick,

Thanks for the updates. I'll be on the Radiance next week at this time. I looked at our 10 day forcast and it does not seem to be as good. Hope they are wrong. Can't wait.

Keep posting. I've been enjoying your post and your photos are beautiful:)

Lori

Thanks for the info! We're leaving next Sunday for our cruisetour starting out in Fairbanks making our way down to Seward for 6 days, then boarding the Millie for our SB cruise for 7 nts ending in Vancouver. I hope we get as lucky in Ketchikan with our weather. This is our first trip to Alaska and we're ultra excited for this experience. Keep checking in, we appreciate it. And, have a great time!

Good morning, good morning, good morning from beautiful Ketchikan Alaska! It is 6am local time, the bright sun is out and it's about 64 degrees. Shaping up to be a really nice day...

Just some quick notes on Alaska for those who may be curious...

> Weather has been incredible so far.

> The ship left Friday from Vancouver. Mostly cloudy and in the 60s.

> The weather the day before in YVR was partly sunny and in the high 60s.

> Yesterday's Inside Passage / Day at Sea was like sailing to Bermuda. Sunny and mid 60s. I was at the pool with sunscreen on. Just stay out of the cool wind. :)

> Several whale and dolphin sightings as we sailed yesterday. Nothing spectacular, but still very cool.

> Not sure how long the weather will last, and I certainly don't expect it to, but it's a nice treat for now.

> Plenty of snow on the mountains as we sail by.

Other notes in general...

> Customs line in YVR after deplaning was easily 250+. Took an hour to clear. Not fun after 6 hours of flying. Just depends on how many planes arrive at the same time, I guess.

> YVR is a beautiful city. Come early. Bike the sea wall at Stanley Park.

> Radiance is in decent shape. No real signs of the drydock - just a few patches of carpeting replaced here and there. Mostly behind the scenes work.

> Crew is very friendly.

> Pax are mostly older, but not super-fossils. Just a few kids.

Well, time to get back out there!

Thank-you Patrick for all the info...glad to hear all is going well-including the weather! The majority of my clothing is heavier-for like late winter temperatures....I just have to remember to do the layer thingy. Remember we will be getting on as your are getting off-leave some of the good weather for us!!! Thanks again!! Susie

Ketchikan was a huge success. The clear, sunny, warm weather held up for the entire day. All of the locals were out enjoying it. My kayak excursion was good, but nothing to write home about.

Re-embarkation lines were ridiculously long. Glad it wasn't raining!

Only 1 other ship in port - 7 Seas Mariner.

More whale and dolphin sightings as we sailed away.

Tonight's weather is foggy and some chop - more Alaska-like. Hopefully things will be nice in Juneau! I will try to post again from there.

Thanks for your cruise info. We're on the Radiance June 6th.

Question:

Are the Portofino and Chops Grill restaurants open for the Alaskian cruises ? I can't seem to make reservations on-line.

Tks again

Ketchikan was a huge success. The clear, sunny, warm weather held up for the entire day. All of the locals were out enjoying it. My kayak excursion was good, but nothing to write home about.

Re-embarkation lines were ridiculously long. Glad it wasn't raining!

Only 1 other ship in port - 7 Seas Mariner.

More whale and dolphin sightings as we sailed away.

Tonight's weather is foggy and some chop - more Alaska-like. Hopefully things will be nice in Juneau! I will try to post again from there.

Thanks for your updates. It is adding to my excitement because we board on Friday!

Any advice on what to do to speed up the re-embarkation that we can share and hopefully everyone will do it and speed up everybody's wait?

Thanks for your cruise info. We're on the Radiance June 6th.

Question:

Are the Portofino and Chops Grill restaurants open for the Alaskian cruises ? I can't seem to make reservations on-line.

Tks again

Yes, they are open. Went to Chops last night. Service - A. Food - C+

Archived