swak515

Formal Night-Suit coat required?

We have to take so many different clothes for the Alaska cruise. Can my husband get away with just a shirt and tie on formal nights on Carnival Spirit?

We have to take so many different clothes for the Alaska cruise. Can my husband get away with just a shirt and tie on formal nights on Carnival Spirit?

Questions on formal night attire usually get a ton of responses ranging from "What the heck. Wear a T shirt if you want, it's your vacation" to tuxedos. We have never sailed Carnival to Alaska so really do not know.

On Princess it appeared to me most men wore a suit jacket with the shirt and tie.

Both the dress codes themselves, and the degree to which people actually follow them, vary greatly from line to line. So it might be better to post this question on the Carnival board.

Both the dress codes themselves, and the degree to which people actually follow them, vary greatly from line to line. So it might be better to post this question on the Carnival board.

I would agree with this. On Celebrity and on Princess you would run the risk of not be permitted in the dining room.

Carnival has recently amended their dress code policy. Your husband should be fine with a shirt and tie under the new code -- http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/formal_dining.aspx -- which says dress slacks, and dress shirts, are what's required, but you are free to wear a jacket, tie, or tuxedo if you wish.

Thanks, Michell! That is a great website for all Carnival questions. I guess we can pack light with only a dress shirt and tie.

I would agree with this. On Celebrity and on Princess you would run the risk of not be permitted in the dining room.

For real? We are going on the Coral Princess next week. My husband is bringing a dress shirt and slacks. They wont seat him in the anytime dining room on formal nights?

For real? We are going on the Coral Princess next week. My husband is bringing a dress shirt and slacks. They wont seat him in the anytime dining room on formal nights?

I didn't see them turn anyone away. My BF had a suit on but on the 2nd formal night he took the jacket off immediately upon getting the table. I really don't think they would refuse you entrance. If you look respectable everything should be fine.

We have been on the CCL Spirit 2 times. You will be fine with a nice

shirt and tie.

This should do the trick... what do you think?

2007141140102406380S500x500Q85.jpg

Coral Princess last August - we did NOT have room for a suit since we were camping 2 weeks inland afterwards- hubby in shirt and tie discovered he was with the majority on formal night! (gazingm42 - LOVE that tie!! :D )

We were just on the coral Princess May 12-19. My husband did not wear a tux or a suit for formal night, as most of the men did. He just wore a shirt and a vest. Nothing was said when we entered the dining room. We had first intended not to go to the dining room on the 2 formal nites, but we enjoyed the people at our table so much that we did not want to stay away.

This sound like a real shift in formality. I'm not complaining, just surprised. We are also camping (RV) for 8 nights prior to the cruise on Carnival Spirit and also storing a suitcase with dressier togs at the RV rental lot. Now there will be less to store.

Carnival has really downed the dress code policy. My DH is going to wear tux pants and a tux vest and no coat to cut down on luggage.

For what it is worth I am planning on mailing our formal wear to our hotel where we will be staying the night before our cruise. We are doing a land tour for a week before the cruise and i don't want to have to deal with dragging this stuff around for a week. Plus with the new restrictions on luggage for the planes the weight might have been an issue.

Just got off the Diamond on May 24th. At our table of 10 (5 couples) there was one tux, three business suits and one plaid casual shirt with Dockers on formal night.

Yes he can. Just make sure he's not wearing jeans. :)

I just got back from the northbound Spirit cruise and didn't even bring a tie, never mind a jacket. We even ate in the supper club (they insisted in putting a jacket over the back of my chair to make it look like I wore one in).

Droste--

Was that on the formal night? No tie or jacket?

Yes. Formal (or "Cruise Elegant") requires slacks and a dress shirt. Jackets are recommended but not required.

Since the requirements are now "cruise elegant", on formal nights what was the approximate percentage of different dress levels in the dining rooms? I kind of want to fit into the mix without standing out.

We just came off the Diamond Princess Alaska southbound. I wore

a black cashmere blazer and grey cargo pants (REI Landers pants), with a white button down shirt oxford

shirt by Ralph Lauren and and a nice Calvin Klein tie. I couldn't button the top button, but the tie held it

down.

They let me in, with no problem at all

into the Anytime Dining on formal nights (Savoy and Santa Fe). I wore the same clothes on

each formal nights. We got great service and I didn't care if others didn't like my black blazer

and grey pants. I was seated the whole time I was dining, and no one came over to look under the table cloth

to see my pants.

I didn't see anyone turned away, but did notice a man in a group of 4 wearing a sweater/sweat shirt (Ralph Lauren type)

with no tie or collared shirt. Everyone minds their own business while dining. I don't think anyone really notices anyone

else as the food presentation and the view out of the window and the hustle of all the waiters is enough entertainment.

Since the requirements are now "cruise elegant"' date=' on formal nights what was the approximate percentage of different dress levels in the dining rooms? I kind of want to fit into the mix without standing out.[/quote']

I'm really not the one to ask - I rarely look at and never remember what people were wearing unless it was something particularly memorable (like maybe a clown suit).

I will say that there were many more than just I who did not wear a jacket. And there were more than a significant number wearing tuxedos.

I guess what I'm saying is it's a real mix, so pretty much anything you think looks "nice" will probably be ok.

I am wondering about dress code also but for my teenage son. Husband will be taking a jacket. We will be on Princess dinning traditional. As my son has grown several sizes in the last year, I am not sure he is done and don't really want to purchase a sport jacket or suit for him until he graduates. Princess's answer book says jacket is required. Will they give him a hard time?

Thank you.

I am wondering about dress code also but for my teenage son. Husband will be taking a jacket. We will be on Princess dinning traditional. As my son has grown several sizes in the last year, I am not sure he is done and don't really want to purchase a sport jacket or suit for him until he graduates. Princess's answer book says jacket is required. Will they give him a hard time? Thank you.

I'm not sure about Princess, but know on HAL they request a Jacket..Teenage boys are considered Adults on Hal t& the requirement is the same..

I understand about the growth problem, as once had a growing boy to dress up..(he's now 45)...Suggest you go to some consignment or thrift shops...Many of them have beautiful jackets for very little $$$ for growing teens..Also might try Burlington Coat Factory either locally or on-line..They have some good deals too..I retired from an Airline & in order to fly First class on passes we all had to be dressed properly in those days....Our Son had to have a jacket & we were able to dress him properly with very little $$$...

I'm sure your son will feel very elegant when he is properly dressed as other adults are.....Enjoy your cruise..Betty