first time cruising

lamoore12

Questions and comments:

• Take a deep breath. It will be OK. You're going to have the time of your life.
  • Have you already booked a cruise?
  • Where to? (Or where would you like to go?)
  • What cruise line?
  • When?
  • What do you like to do?
  • Are you 1) Couch Potato 2) Like to shop/stroll 3) Active 4) Hyperactive?

If you've already booked, start checking out the sections for your cruise line and ports of call. Check for a roll call on your cruise. There is a forum on cruise fashion also.

As far as money, its up to you and what you want to do. Check out this thread about final bills and you will see a wide range of money spent. Click Here For Thread

Relax and enjoy the planning process. There is a real wealth of knowledge on this board. Take advantage of it. (And add to it!) :)

Lamoore12...

Relax.....and enjoy the research! This is the best place for you to ask questions......and get answers.

It may seem overwhelming, but everything will soon fall into place.

Here is a site for cruise insurance.

insuremytrip

That's a dotcom

Here's another great site: This will help you with your tips.

members.aol.com/cruisetip

Welcome to Cruise Critic...and welcome to Cruising!

lamoore - Welcome and congratulations on your cruise. You will love it.

The general consensus is pack all your clothes and then take 1/2 out. You won't need it all. The other thing is relax and enjoy. On the ship, you won't be able to do it all, so pick what you like and remember there is always next time. We plan for about $100.00 per day per person, but that may be a bit much. Bring two bathing suits to allow them to dry in time for using the next one. If you search there are packing lists on the boards that range from night lights and duct tape to extension cords and shampoo. There is a lot to learn, but leave some to new and experience when on board. Good luck and have fun.

That would make answers more easy to give. The best advise I could give you is to read the boards. Don't take all the junk mentioned on the packing lists, take only what you know you will need, if you have to question why an item is packed, you don't need it. Take less clothes than you think you need, but more underwear and bathing suits. (I hate having to do laundry onboard a ship) Money is subjective, it depends on your personal habits, but plan on taking plenty.

There is no right or wrong answer to your question, just read, plan and enjoy to the fullest.

I suggest that you find the board of the cruiselines that you are interested in and read a few pages of comments and questions that people have written. You can learn a lot by reading here on the boards.

Hi lamorre, welcome to cruise critic. You will find so much info here are the boards. Don't panic everything will fall into place. We took our first cruise in Sept and are booked for another in Nov. Take the great advice from the above posts. Cruiseclues.com is a great place to find lots of info about packing, the ship you will be on and reviews. Remember this is your vacation so enjoy it!!! Here are a few must brings for us: over the door shoe organizer (great for holding all sorts of stuff), 8x10 manilla envelope with cardboard insert for any pics you may buy on the ship or your excursions, bubble wrap for the breakables you take home, power outlet, alarm clock, first aid items, medications (immodium, tums, ect), 2 swim suites, plenty of film (take more than you think you will use) and a good attitude. Be sure you have your pass port or birth certificates. Some people like to decorate their cabin door...this is fun...be creative.

Enjoy your research and most of all enjoy your first cruise!!!!

May I suggest that you look at http://www.godfreytoursvi.com for a wonderful excursion in St Thomas. FOr 20 bucks per person he takes you downtown for shopping the takes you on a 2 hour island tour then takes you to a beach of choice for 2 hours of swimming/sunning/snorkling

I have never read a bad reivew of Godfrey. Its one of the best excursions I have ever done.

Welcome! To ease your anxiety, everything I've learned about cruising, I've learned from these boards. My TA told me absolutely nothing about the cruise experience. Our first cruise is in 11 days - yay!

You'll be fine. Do your research and you'll be a pro before you know it. Just remember that only 1% of people who cruise use this site. Therefore, you'll know sooooo much more than most of the first-timers you'll be cruising with! ;)

Relax and have a ball on your cruise!

• 10 months later...

Iamoore12 - i went on a halloween cruise on Princess a few years ago. Although not a lot of the passengers dressed up, they decorated the ship in very festive decor. I wanted to dress up, & opted for a black cape to "celebrate" but not look too odd. just a thought if you wanted to be festive as well. happy cruising!

we are sailing on the mariner of the seas. we sail out on halloween, and it's a seven day cruise.

by the way you people are great..

Make sure to sign up for the Roll Call for your sailing so you can get to know people before you go.

Archived